Leaky Gut test and the impact of PKD (By dr. Boz.)

(bulkbiker) #13

Wow we’re in agreement… something must be wrong with the force tonight…!

(Carnivore for the win) #14

I had similar results. Several years on an elimination diet with pro and pre biotics with little improvement. Then the last year and a half with very few carbohydrates and major improvement

(Carnivore for the win) #15

Me too. Spent hundreds of dollars over many years on the best probiotics I could get, and my poor health kept spiraling out of control.

I really want to go carnivor as well. Seems like the best option for overall physical and mental health. Just have to figure out how to get it to work for me.

(mole person) #16

What are the issues you face in implementing carnivore?

(Carnivore for the win) #17

I start to feel I’ll after a couple of days. I’m guessing my macros are off as I haven’t tried adding extra fat along with my meat. Or maybe my dairy increased which, for the type I eat, is usually around 1:1 protein to fat. What ratio do you try to achieve for fat to protein? Do you find your overall daily protein increased or stayed the same compared to keto? I really think carnivore, along with fasting, could be the key to sorting out the last of my gut permeability issues.

(mole person) #18

I recently wrote a post that touched on this very issue.

Initially when I went carnivore my protein went way up and it didn’t make me feel good at all. I went from about 60 g on keto to closer 100 g on carnivore. Everything felt shitty. But the medical conditions that I had suffered from for a decade went away entirely. So I didn’t want to quit. I knew my ketones were suffering on carnivore so I decided to try to fix that by trying to achieve the PKD macros of 2:1 fat:protein by weight. It worked. I felt great again.

(mole person) #19

Here is another post that touches on how overeating made me feel crappy at the beginning of carnivore.

(Carnivore for the win) #20

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

I was calculating my macro ratios between fat and protein by calories. I’ll use weight from now on. Have to do some meal planning. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Carnivore for the win) #21

Those are the results I have experienced. When I overeat protein, it feels like I have just eaten a bunch of carbs and that throws me off for days.

Thanks so much. I’m looking forward to having a pain free gastrointestinal track.

(mole person) #22

It’s interesting that this discussion is under a Dr. Boz video as she also recommends 80% calories from fat (which on carnivore is basically 2:1 fat: protein by weight). She says the amount of protein you want to be eating is your ideal weight in lbs divided by 2.2.

Let me know if you need help with ideas for increasing fat on carnivore. I have a strong preference for staying away from rendered fats as much as possible as they nauseate me if I overdo them.

(Carnivore for the win) #23

Excellent information. Thanks.

I’ll look in to adjusting the type or cut of meat I buy. My favourite is beef strip loin with a large fat cap, but I know there are fattier cuts available. Maybe lamb or pork shoulder cuts.

On one of those threads you mentioned getting fat trim from local butchers. I have been thinking about finding a local source for chicken skins as that may work as well.

(mole person) #24

@Elliot-W Ahh good you’re Canadian so our meat cuts should have similar names. These are my favorites for having a good amount of fat.

Beef ribs
beef short ribs
Rib eye with the cap
Bottom blade roast
Pork shoulder (cooking this now actually)
Lamb shoulder

I do eat other cuts but to everything else I add significant amounts of slow cooked beef fat. I do like strip loin actually quite a bit, but it is much leaner than rib eye.

Just to give you an example, yesterday I had bottom blade. As you can see it’s very fatty:

Nonetheless that’s still only giving me about 1.3:1 fat:protein in grams. Now this might be fine for you, if you were doing it by calories before this will already be a huge difference. But for myself I add more fat to really feel my best.

(Carnivore for the win) #25

Thanks. I had blade roast on the grocery list. I’m going to try it in the slow cooker to keep all the fat in one place so I can just pour it over top before eating the meat. Was also thinking of roast pork belly. The shoulder cuts are some of my favourites, so that will work. Ribs are a good idea as well. I’ll just have to find some sources of fat to make sure I’m at the correct ratios and being satiated without overeating protein.

I have heard bone broth is good for gut permeability as well. Do you add bone broth in to your diet? Or is it to high in protein and low in fat?

(mole person) #26

Make sure it’s bottom blade. The top or outside portion of the blade is much less fatty. For some reason Metro where I live only sells the outside, but I can get the bottom blade from Loblaws, FreshCo, and Walmart.

I’ve stopped using slow cookers for any of my meats precicely because I need my meat fat to stay solid and slow cookers still cook at far too high a temperature for that. I can only tolerate so much rendered out fat without feeling nauseated, my husband is even more sensitive. Meat fat that remains within it’s cellular matrix digests much slower and doesn’t cause this problem at all. In fact prior to my sorting this out my husband was eating much less fat then I was because it made him feel poorly but now he eats even more than I do, he absolutely loves it.

So instead I slow cook in the oven (and for a few cuts the sous vide) at much lower temperatures. Yesterday I cooked a big pork shoulder at 175F for 8 hrs. It comes out rarish, incredibly juicy, and 100% of the fat stays on the roast. It’s divine.

For the toughest cuts, of which the bottom blade is one, I use the sous vide at 133F for 48 hrs to get a similar effect.

I have it every day. I usually pour some over my meat as a gravy.

(Carnivore for the win) #27

Thanks for the information.

I’ll have to see how low my oven will go. It may be time to invest in a sous vide to keep all the fat solid.

I think I’ll start making my own bone broth, as I have only had store bought. I’m sure there are some good recipes to be found in this forum.

(mole person) #28

I can’t help much with recipes since I only use salt in mine. All I do is throw the bones in the slow cooker (it still has a function!) for 48 hours and let it reduce to the point where it will form a good solid gel. Then I cool it in the fridge for long enough that the fat is as hard as it’s going to get and take the fat off. That’s it.

Initially I left the fat in but I just don’t find it at all palatable that way.

(Carnivore for the win) #29

That sounds easy enough. Bones are now on the grocery list.

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it.

(Gabor Erdosi) #30

There’s a high chance of shooting oneself in the foot with probiotics. The reason is lack of detailed information what type of dysbiosis is going on in the gut. There were 2 recent studies published in Cell that pointed out adverse effects of blind probiotic use.
At the same time, playing around with whole food diets bears very little risk.
If an ‘expert’ claims that gut issues are mainly about plants vs. animals, and that plant fibers are an absolute necessity for an operational and health promoting microbiota, turn around and never look back, because he or she is totally clueless.

(Ian) #31

I cook pork belly this way and it is phenomenal. A search of protein to fat ratios on the webz, comes up with highly variable results, anywhere from 1:2 or 1:5 . A lot of fat comes out during the roast, but its still likely to hit the right ratios

Another vote for sous vide, a great way to keep temperatures to a minimum and still ensure it is cooked properly. Th first time I tried pork tenderloin from the sous vide was the first time I have ever tried pink pork. It was incredible! I know there’s not enough fat in it for your needs, but boy was it good.

(Carnivore for the win) #32

Thanks for the recipe. Added pork belly to the shopping list.

Looks like it will work well for the macros I’m trying to achieve. Also, nice and simple. No crazy ingredients or cooking techniques required.

So far I have made lamb shoulder and beef blade roasts cooked at 175F, to an internal temperature of 145F. It really keeps the fat in the meat.

The bone broth is at 22 hours in the crock pot and will be completed tomorrow.

I am optimistic that switching from keto to carnivore will really help my gut. Time will tell.