Last ditch effort

(Kristin ) #41

I have been in keto for about 7 months and lost over 70 lbs now… and I don’t exercise. It’s a suggestion if someone is struggling… everyone is different. I exercised for about a month and stalled because I COULD NOT eat enough calories sending my bod into starvation. Also, many people with PTSD exercise and it increases the cortisol levels in their system… and cortisol is a definite weight loss killer. n=1

SW 240
CW 168

kcko

I tried that, and only got lumpier and softer, in a way I’ve never been in my life. I’m now even heavier than I started. I started at 144 and now I’m 146 and I look so much worse and my fat is lumpy and doughy.

Same happened to me. I’m now FAR mushier than before keto. And the whoosh effect everyone talks about is certainly NOT happening.

How about you? Any changes with your last ditch effort?

(What The Fast?!) #44

I started the DeeperStateKeto 90 day cut program on April 23rd. It’s a 90 day program where you gradually reduce your calories/macros, just like you would for a bikini prep competition. Then you spend 30 days “offboarding” to build your calories back up so you don’t gain it all back. Carbs stay at 10g total carbs the whole time.
I’m about 5.5 weeks in and I still haven’t lost anything. (Well, I have been up and down the same 3 pounds.) My ketones are high and I feel good, I’m having great performance in the gym and on the bike, but no loss yet. I’m taking pictures and documenting my journey on Instagram: @deeperstateketosis

(icky) #45

Hmmm, maybe this is your mind’s opinion?

And your body’s opinion is that it is just fine, as it is…?

What if your body is right and your mind is wrong about those 15 to 20 lbs?

(What The Fast?!) #46

If I was at 28% body fat, I could see that…but at 33%, I’m technically in the obese category.
Losing body fat is also critical to me improving my performance on the bike. Whether or not my body “agrees” would be relevant if I was just doing lazy keto, but I’m trying everything that has worked for other people and it’s simply not working for me…it just doesn’t make any sense.

(icky) #47

Have you posted photos here and gotten feedback?
Do you have feedback from people you trust?

Just wondering whether other people who see your frame agree that you are 15 - 20 lbs “overweight”?

Also, there are different types of build. Some ppl are incredibly slight, others are heavier set, without being overweight.

(icky) #48

I’m just asking, because I’m slim myself and know a TON of women who say they are 15 to 20 lbs overweight and when you look at them, you think “Huh? Which 15 to 20 lbs do you mean??”

If you were 100 or 200 lbs overweight and had zero weightloss despite trying everything, that would indeed be a riddle.

But 15 to 20 pounds that are kinda stubborn? Isn’t that just “life”?

Or even just too high standards/ being harsher on yourself re body judgements than anyone else would be?

(What The Fast?!) #49

Thanks :slight_smile: I do have people I can trust - and no one has said “but you don’t need to lose any weight!” :slight_smile:
My photos are posted on my Insta - @deeperstateketosis
I definitely get the “that’s life” component and if I wasn’t working my ass off, I would be totally fine with that. But, with training at the level I am, and keeping carbs to 10g total, and doing gradual reduction on a specific macros program…it seems crazy that I can’t lose anything.
I’ve been keto for over a year now - I’m consistently in ketosis, I do intermittent fasting, I have done extended fasting, etc.

BUT I do have high hopes for this program. Other people have stalled significantly and it sounds like this is to be expected but that a big WHOOSH could be coming.

(Alec) #50

I am intrigued. What happens to your weight when you fast? Does it go down as you fast, but it simply rebounds to the previous level when you start eating again?

I assume you have tried a month of ADF?

The only thing I can think of is that you are somehow a super responder in terms of calorie balance. Ie your body responds exactly with calorie usage as calories in.

I am stumped. Sorry.
Cheers
Alec

(What The Fast?!) #51

Sometimes I lose weight when I fast, sometimes I don’t. I did a couple months of lots of back to back multi-day fasting. I could only keep the weight off by continuing to fast more days than I was eating. Honestly - I could have lived with that (just doing lots of fasting) but I lost my period and my performance on the bike became horrendous.

(Alec) #52

Hmmm… you sound not fat adapted. I am wondering whether you have an issue in fat metabolism for some reason? But I think you said you are in ketosis, and hence you must be burning fat. Weird.

I am not being much help… sorry.
Cheers
A

(Ron) #53

I have a question. Have you ever tried to ramp up your metabolism by over consuming your TDEE fallowed by a small fast or some deficit feeding. Not at a consistent level but with change ups so as to not let the metabolism establish a pattern level?

(What The Fast?!) #54

Yep - back in December/January - I was on a fast/feast cycle. I’d fast for 2-3 days then feast for a day or two, then fast again, etc.

@Alecmcq - Yeah I dunno. I’ve been keto for a LOOOONG time, it’s weird that fasting doesn’t seem to “work.”

(Alec) #55

Have you ever had your BG (hba1c) tested and critically your insulin? Was it normal?

(What The Fast?!) #56

@Alecmcq hbA1c is under 5 and my fasting insulin is ridiculously low - tested twice. First time was 2.2, second time was 1.9. My fasting blood glucose is generallly around 70-80 unless I’m fasting and then it goes super low, have seen it in the low 50’s when I do multiple days.
All my numbers are perfect except LDL is super high, but I know that doesn’t matter. I have a post somewhere on these forums with all my numbers

Ok, Andrea, I just looked at your instagram (and I had forgotten about the burn! ouch :frowning: )
and I know you said your bf% is in the obese category… but, I don’t know, you look terrific to me. Not overweight, definitely not obese. You look fit and strong and really nicely proportioned - great curves and your belly is flat in most of the shots. That slight puffiness in the upper back and upper arms is smaller in your second recent picture, and … I know it’s subjective, but you look lovely to me.
That bf% is recent? If I saw you I would probably guess somewhere in the low 20s and at 5’2" (right? or 5’3"?) I would guess your weight around 125.

(icky) #58

Okay, I just went and looked at your photos too. The 4 photos from May 21st - I do NOT see someone who’s obese AT ALL!

I dunno what bizarre BMI system says you are and I dunno what weird measuring device gave you a 33 % bodyfat result.

Like Madeleine, I think you’re not losing anything, cos there’s nothing to lose.

Your body is holding on to its last few reserves cos it knows you are one very sporty lady and so it’s good common sense to have some reserves, just in case.

So yeah, I don’t see the 15 or 20 lbs that you are supposedly overweight.

If I were your body, I’d refuse to lose another 15 lbs too!

Short of doing something unhealthy, I don’t think you’re going to lose them.

This is judging from your May 21st photos on Instagram.

If there’s other evidence that you ARE overweight and apparently “obese” (??) I’m willing to alter my opinion, but on the evidence that’s currently available, that’s my call.

:slight_smile:

(icky) #59

You have a strong body. You have one of those “powerful goddess” type of builds. You do NOT have a “waif” build like someone like Kate Moss or Keira Knightley.

You have muscles and curves. Strong shoulders, strong hips, hourglass figure.

We all have to learn to love our body type.

Millions of women would kill to have your body :smile:

(What The Fast?!) #60

I totally appreciate all your comments, but I PROMISE you, I hold my weight in my back/oblique/love handles and my upper thighs. I can literally grab handfuls of fat in both areas. :slight_smile: My most recent DEXA was in the end of April, so I know the BF% is correct.

What I really want is to get rid of the back fat - I don’t need to be super skinny, I just want to look as strong and fit as I feel…AND I really want to drop at least 10 lbs so that I can improve my performance on the bike. 10 lbs on a bike is a MASSIVE difference. At 5’ 2", my weight to power ratio would increase GREATLY if I could drop those pounds.

Maybe I’ll share some pics that give a better view of where I hold my fat. I want you to know this is not a case of body dysmorphia - I’m extremely realistic about what’s healthy and what’s not.

OH - and the reason my tummy is flat is because I had a tummy tuck about 6 years ago. I used to weigh around 185 lbs (on a 5’ 2" frame) and my skin didn’t bounce back, so I had it fixed. I’m learning now that this could also be the cause of my body not wanting to lose weight - the scar tissue could be causing a constant stress on my body.

I know what I look like at 132 lbs and I’m MUCH happier with my body there. Granted, I have more muscle now - but high 130’s is definitely realistic and puts me in the mid 20’s when it comes to body fat. I wear a size 8-10 now - and for my frame, I could easily be a 4-6.

Thank you for all your support, it really does mean a lot - and if I were just doing lazy keto and/or not working so hard, I wouldn’t be worried about it - but for the effort I’m putting in, I really want to get some results.

You can see my before/afters from my surgery as well - I was in the low 130’s when I had the surgery done. I’m 149 today.
PLEASE NOTE - these pictures are nearly naked! I have emojis covering my nipples, but if you don’t want to see full boob action, do not click this link!! :slight_smile:

@Madeleine @sugar-addict