Last ditch effort

(Miss E) #21

heh, that is definitely something my brain would do.

(KCKO, KCFO) #22

Andrea, wishing you well. I have followed along on your adventures.

The one huge issue you had is your body had to do a LOT of repair work from your burn injury. I think your body is still in healing mode.

You might want to ask yourself why you felt guilty when eating after fasting. What triggered that kind of reaction in you?

And you have tried so many things, I think stress is also in play for you.

hope you continue to work with the dietitian on the food intolerance issues. Maybe following her suggestions will make eating less stressful for you and your body will finally cooperate with your weight loss efforts.

All the best in whatever eating mode you follow.

(What The Fast?!) #23

Hey all! Here’s some interesting info for the ladies…
My monthly cycle has been totally wonky since starting extended fasting. Even though I’d been keto for many many months, when I started doing heavy EF, my cycles started getting further and further apart. (I’d be 7-14 days late, totally unpredictable.) Prior to keto, I had a normal 28 day cycle.

Well…since I stopped doing extended fasting, it’s gone back to normal. 28 days, on the dot.

I’ve always had a sneaking suspicion that my body is not accessing stored fat like it’s supposed to, even though my fasting insulin is super low. Maybe the fact that my cycle regulated itself back to normal once I started eating daily means that there’s something to that suspicion? @Brenda - sorry to use the Bat signal, but would love your thoughts.

I’m convinced that for me PSMF is going to be the key. I increased my protein intake a few months ago after an appointment I had with Dr. Ted Naiman. Over the last few weeks I have read everything I can on the subject of PSMF and it’s very promising. I started today. If you are looking into the idea I’d highly recommend this ebook:

Marty Kendall also has a sweet blogpost on the subject. Good luck, keep us posted.

MY GOD!!! It’s as if I wrote this. This is EXACTLY my situation (6 months keto) but I also have a terrible increase in hair loss and hot flashes! Those got so bad in the last couple of months I’m at the point where I’m forced to suspect keto (even though everyone says it acctually regulates hormones and improves hair!) and also thinking of giving this WOE a month or so more and if my stasis and complaints persist, I may have to look for another way. What drove me to keto in the first place was this stubborn 15 pounds that I gained and they won’t budge…and the terrible hunger I suffered from perpetually)

I too preach keto all the time and have converted many people to it and they’re ALL benefiting. All but me. I didn’t lose one pound or inch and I am squishier* even though I’m exercising more than ever. This is driving me nuts!!! I’ve always had a great tone to my body, never had those lumps in my saddlebags and this pouch below my belly. And my satiety is a fragile thing that lasts barely a couple of hours after any size meal, too.

Has anyone ever given you any explanation why this may be happening? Is Keto not suitable for women within a certain age and weight and it might be better to just go low carb but not particularly too high fat?

(What The Fast?!) #26

Everyone has theories but no for sure answers. Interesting about the hair loss and hot flashes. My hair is the driest it has ever been and I have been waking up sweating in the middle of the night, out of nowhere! I’m 35, so I highly doubt it’s hot flashes, but it’s definitely weird.

I just purchased the Deeper State Keto 90 day macros program, it’s a collaboration between Keto Connect and Keto Savage. It’s on pre sale for $150 and I’m going to use that for 90 days to see if using specific macros helps or not. I’m going to be cycling (road bike) and doing reformer Pilates for my workouts (which I’m already doing).

Curious about this where have you seen this? I have been keto 11 months and stalled in weight since September and in size since December. I have at least 40 lbs more to lose. Lately I have been thinking my stomach looks worse which is wherey most of my remaining weight is. I have not gained any weight or lost any. Would love it if it would woosh but not holding my breath

or diatomaceous earth?

Why?

(Ginger) #28

Is it possible that you have trashed your metabolism and that your body has responded to your attempts to lose weight by keep reducing its expenditure and holding on to your fat for dear life?

I ask, because I am wondering about that for myself. I have been trying and failing to lose weight for 5 years. Although I have been on and off keto for 12 years. I have done two bouts of PSMF and whilst I lost weight, it pinged back on despite a sustained calorie deficit and 2 hours min exercise a day afterwards. My hair fell out, my nails peels, I was constantly freezing, and I am pretty sure i further damaged my metabolism for that temporary weight loss.

I am currently considering spending a few months eating at maintenance or slightly above maintenance calories for a month or two (but keeping it keto) and seeing if I can heal my metabolism.

I’m also going for some cortisol tests.

(Miss E) #29

ginger capsules are supposed to help with cortisol, I’ve just started taking them

Yeah.
For me, it seems to be a very fine line between too much and too little protein. Too little and things, including monthly cycle go wonky, and too much and there is no chance of weight loss at all - although achieving weightloss seems to be a precise recipe, that I still don’t understand. Lol. Might as well roll some dice and cross my fingers while standing on one leg facing South at dawn. If it happens one month, I still can’t work out WHY, cos it ain’t gonna happen the next 3.

Stress hormones definitely play a part. And hair often goes bad with Thyroid. Have you been checked for that? The worst my hair ever went was in my 30s. It was like frizzy straw. That improved dramatically when they discovered I have excess prolactin and gave me medication to block it. So I guess I am saying keep pushing the hormone investigations, till you are certain all the possibilities have been eliminated.

(What The Fast?!) #31

I’ve had my hormones tested a bunch of times, thyroid and everything else was all good. I haven’t looked into Prolactin though. I’m on my 30’s and my hair IS like frizzy straw!!

(Daniel) #32

maybe it’s time to try a cyclical diet? Check out Carb Nite as a potential maybe?

(What The Fast?!) #33

I’m going to try the 90 day cut from Keto Connect/Keto Savage first. Starts April 23rd.

(CharleyD) #34

Maybe try moving away from plastics (BPAs, phthalates) and paraben containing personal care products?

Dr Perlmutter had a scientist on his show lately who’s researching obesogens, chems that make it hard for adipocytes to let go of their stores:

https://www.drperlmutter.com/the-empowering-neurologist-david-perlmutter-md-and-dr-bruce-blumberg/

This show speaks directly to those of us who eat perfectly cleanly, low carb, whole food and IF and EF, yet cannot seem to burn that fat off.

I always thought the phrase was “last stitch effort” but I just googled it and ditch is the right word.

(What The Fast?!) #36

My house is pretty organic, with stainless steel water bottles. :slight_smile:

(Hoteski) #37

Try ashwaganda drops in a half a glass of warm water. Trainer on keto recommended this to me and it worked very well in helping me shift the weight .

(Kristin ) #38

I was wondering if you have every tried to stop exercising instead of stopping Keto. I’ve heard a lot of people say that exercising stalls them in Keto… and people have told me to hold off on exercise until I’m in maintenance to make sure that I am eating enough. Just wondering if it might work.

(What The Fast?!) #39

I tried slowing way down on exercise last year. Didn’t work and I just got mushier…

I exercise everyday and the weight has been falling off me like crazy. I’ve lost 115 pounds in 6 and a half months. I imagine if I didn’t exercise, I probably would have lost half of what I’ve lost.