Ketone Testing is making me crazy

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #13

If the ketone testing is making you crazy, stop doing it.

Pee strips are nigh worthless. Have a low carb day, drink no fluid. You will produce a dark purple color. This is not recommended because, well, you need the water. But by testing the concentration of what is in the urine, you’re testing hydration and what ketones you are not actually making use of.

I’d get rid of the test strips and preserve my sanity, if I were you.

Ketone levels are only half the story. Blood glucose levels are equally, if not more important. BG is a better indicator of what’s happening with insulin, which is really the main actor, but unfortunately, not easily measured.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #15

Why is BG not easily measured?

BG is easily measured. It can serve as a proxy for insulin, which isn’t easily measured.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #17

Sorry, can’t read this early in the morning- need coffee!

(Dan Dan) #18

Mental Clarity, Sustained Energy, Fat Loss, Restoration of Health are pretty good measurements :crazy_face:

As someone who is obsessed with weighing and testing ketones I agree chasing numbers can be problematic :open_mouth:

If you are obsessed Like me I suggest getting a cheap breathalyzer its a quick and painless way to check for ketones.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alcohol-Tester-Professional-Digital-Breathalyzer-Breath-Analyzer-with-LCD/269219215

(Christy Dyson) #19

wow! Thank you for that Info I have been keeping my fat around 70 and protein 100 so thats gotta be it:)

(Christy Dyson) #20

I think I really wanted more than just :trace: as proof I was doing it right! I do lose more weight just low carb and not eating any processed food. but i really wanted to dive into this because I am overweight always have been, and its the only way to control my appetite thanks so much for your advice hun, I love this site!

(Christy Dyson) #21

oh, Im overweight and when i eat any carbs i have no control over my appetite. being in ketosis is the only way I can manage my life thanks huh

(Christy Dyson) #22

My son came home today, and tested for the first time DARK PURPLE> we eat the same thing at the same time. women and men are just wired dif I guess. after a longer IF, Im testing darker too thanks everyone for their input.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #23

It’s sort of like a pregnancy test. You either are or you aren’t in ketosis. Even trace amounts mean you’re in ketosis.

(Fernando Urias) #24

100g of protein sounds about right depending on your height. This would be aproximately 400g of protein food daily. The most common rule for protein is 1g per kg of lean weight. Since protein is recycled and stimulates growth, Dr. Ron Rosedale recommends to go to 0.75g and even 0.6g of protein per kg of lean weight. Bottom line, keep carbs below 20g, lower the protein, increase fat, and your strips should show purple.

(Christy Dyson) #25

omg I finally Just ordered more strips. From Nurse Hatty @ Amazon They are dead on and I had been in ketosis the whole time probably besides I was wonder why they guy had u leave the strip IN the urine for 40 seconds and then test. Anyway I couldnt be happier. I can even have my one diet rootbeer a day and it doesnt knock me out. You guys are the best, and Im so thankful to have found this forum!

(Fernando Urias) #26

Pour some heavy cream (about 1/3 cup) in your diet root beer and it will taste like a root beer float! I am glad I could help.

(Kyle Kerstiens) #27

I originally left a comment that I had gotten bad strips once and that may be the case. I deleted it because I noticed you were showing trace. Mine made zero change so I assumed yours were working. Glad you got it sorted out.

(Christy Dyson) #28

yea I bought some new ones and they are low to moderate every time:) thank you

(Christy Dyson) #29

ooooooooooooooo yummy

(Lisa D) #30

I had/have curly hair and always wanted straight! hahaha. :wink:

(@Insulin_Resistant) #31

hi, thanks. Recommend a blood monitor?

(Sophie) #32

I use the FreeStyle Optimum Neo. I ordered it and test strips for BG and Ketones off Ebay.