Ketone Testing is making me crazy

(Christy Dyson) #22

My son came home today, and tested for the first time DARK PURPLE> we eat the same thing at the same time. women and men are just wired dif I guess. after a longer IF, Im testing darker too thanks everyone for their input.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #23

It’s sort of like a pregnancy test. You either are or you aren’t in ketosis. Even trace amounts mean you’re in ketosis.

(Fernando Urias) #24

100g of protein sounds about right depending on your height. This would be aproximately 400g of protein food daily. The most common rule for protein is 1g per kg of lean weight. Since protein is recycled and stimulates growth, Dr. Ron Rosedale recommends to go to 0.75g and even 0.6g of protein per kg of lean weight. Bottom line, keep carbs below 20g, lower the protein, increase fat, and your strips should show purple.

(Christy Dyson) #25

omg I finally Just ordered more strips. From Nurse Hatty @ Amazon They are dead on and I had been in ketosis the whole time probably besides I was wonder why they guy had u leave the strip IN the urine for 40 seconds and then test. Anyway I couldnt be happier. I can even have my one diet rootbeer a day and it doesnt knock me out. You guys are the best, and Im so thankful to have found this forum!

(Fernando Urias) #26

Pour some heavy cream (about 1/3 cup) in your diet root beer and it will taste like a root beer float! I am glad I could help.

(Kyle Kerstiens) #27

I originally left a comment that I had gotten bad strips once and that may be the case. I deleted it because I noticed you were showing trace. Mine made zero change so I assumed yours were working. Glad you got it sorted out.

(Christy Dyson) #28

yea I bought some new ones and they are low to moderate every time:) thank you

(Christy Dyson) #29

ooooooooooooooo yummy

(Lisa D) #30

I had/have curly hair and always wanted straight! hahaha. :wink:

(@Insulin_Resistant) #31

hi, thanks. Recommend a blood monitor?

(Sophie) #32

I use the FreeStyle Optimum Neo. I ordered it and test strips for BG and Ketones off Ebay.

(Kay baker) #33

hi Christy. I also joined today and when I read your post I had to have a wee (excuse the pun) giggle. I am almost obsessed with testing however I do enjoy seeing the result…its almost like getting mail and wondering whats in the letter lol.
I do see changes in the colours however my weight keeps going up and down daily, sometimes by as much as 1.5 kg (3.3lbs). This is what is making me angry, however I must admit that maybe 2 glasses of scotch and soda every second night might have something to do with it ??
Havent had a scotch for a couple of days now so it will be interesting.
I also have a ketone meter which today showed 0.3…at least its better than zero lol lol

So things are going well, thats good. Pee stix only register in the early stages.

I’ve read and worked through the book the other people have suggested by Drs Phinney and Volek (the Art and science of…). But they also have a book with Dr Westman “New Atkins for a new you” this second book has lots of recipes and it is a real how-to-step-by-step-guide. I highly recommend both books.

To measure ketone levels I use a blood analyser once a week. The jab does not hurt and you get more accurate results. I feel the fat thinning out but I like the validation of numbers.

image https://www.booktopia.com.au/http_coversbooktopiacomau/big/9781439190272/new-atkins-for-a-new-you-the-ultimate-diet-for-shedding-weight-and-feeling-great.jpg

(Bob M) #35

Or fast for several days in a row.

Your body will burn alcohol before it burns anything else.

You’re in ketosis. Keto strips are not accurate. Go for results not ketone levels. You have results and you’re doing great!

(Lisa ) #37

Step away from the urine strips. I repeat, step away.
I measure blood ketones out of interest. Eat lots of fat? They go up. Exercise and use the ketones? They go down. Makes no difference what the meter says, if you’re keeping the carbs below 20g and getting your calories mostly from fat then you’ll no doubt be in ketosis. Keep it simple.

(Scott) #38

Almost 6 months of LCHF and have never measured for ketones. It’s just not important. Keep your eye on the carbs and the rest will take care of itself.

And even if you did measure them, the time of day makes a massive difference.

I bought a blood keto keto - but I had 0.4mM at 10am and 1.3mM at 10pm on the same day. Up and down. Makes the numbers all but useless.

I’m in ketosis and went into it 24 hours after going from carbs to carnivore. I’m still releasing them in my urine which means I am not fat adapted yet …my friend who’s in ketosis and been on carnivore for months well his pee strips don’t show he is even in ketosis yet he is still dropping’s pound after pound. Like other posters said …ketosis test strips are only useful right in the beginning to check to make sure your dumping them. After that your body will begin using them and you’ll become fat adapted and use fat for fuel.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #41

I use a blood monitor - much more reliable than the pee strips.