Ketone Testing is making me crazy

(Christy Dyson) #1

I have been on a low carb for 4 weeks, strict carb for 11 days (under 20) today I had zero carbs Just started the IF 2 days ago, and I cant ever get more than trace on the urine strips for ketones I am going outta my mind LOL
I know its becoming an obsession, I just wanna see purple once! I know Im doing everything right, I write down everything My breath smells like crap, im losing a pound every other day. WHAT GIVES! HELP!

PS my very first post I hope I post in the right area I dont take rejection well hahaha

(Ron) #2

(Karl) #3

Those strips aren’t testing what you think they’re testing.

They’re testing for ketones your kidneys are disposing. Wastefully, mind you, unless you’re a Type 1 diabetic. It’s an inaccurate test for nutritional ketosis, and it’s not telling you what you think. A darker result does not mean faster weight loss. It simply means there’s acetoacetate in your urine, and that your kidneys are throwing it out.

As time goes by, many people read NOTHING on those pee strips, because their bodies stop wasting the ketones they’re producing.

Disclaimer: I am very much against testing for nutritional ketosis as part of being a normal human being. I understand academic curiosity, but I think it’s far more important to embrace the process rather than chase after numbers you feel might give you some level of diet flexibility. Too many times I see posts that say “I cheated - bad - but the urine strip says I’m still in ketosis.” Yeah, um, no.

(Christy Dyson) #4

thanks for replying its not even the ketosis for weight loss. I already lost 100 its just the point I guess. They must not be for me.

(Aimee Moisa) #5

I dont usually like to do empty “me too” replies but if you need more testimonies I agree with Karl. Dont chase after the numbers, but if you must chase them get a blood ketone meter. Many people like Keto Mojo.

(Christy Dyson) #6

yea that was my next thought I understand if my ketones are being put to good use there will be no extra, I just am not a quitter and was determined to see purple, even tho i dont plan on ketones ruling my life. I am comfortable with IF and my 20 or less carbs oh but if I had not been chasing the stix, I wouldnt have found out that the diet drinks were bad for me so its a win win I guess thanks lyssa

(Sophie) #7

Honey, I was low carb for over 6yrs before I started Keto and I’ve been Keto for a year now… I’ve NEVER Ever seen purple on a pee strip. I’ve been lucky to see just above pinkish. I’ve also NEVER blown Anything on a breathalizer device besides a big fat Zero…the only way I’ve been able to confirm that I’m in actual ketosis is with blood monitoring. Perhaps you are just utilizing your ketones better than you give yourself credit for.

(Ron) #8

Keep in mind that the blood test is still measuring ketone byproduct floating around in excesss in your blood that the body is not utilizing efficiently for energy. There is no way to measure your body ability and utilization of ketone bodies as fuel.

(Fernando Urias) #10

If you want to see purple in the strips is very easy. Just overload on fat. The strips show the excess ketones being wasted and if you overload on fat, the excess fat will show purple. I can do it on purpose with several cups of coffee with heavy cream through the day, an avocado with salt for breakfast, a beef bullion made out of powder with a tablespoon of coconut fat for lunch, a BLT salad with plenty of mayonnaise for dinner, and a few Swiss cheese slices as a late snack. Next morning: purple. Test in the morning after getting rid of the night waste water. In the evening, the purple will go away because of the water ingested and the ketones burned in the normal day activities.

There are reasons for being in ketosis beyond weight loss. My mother, father, and sister have never been overweight and all monitor their ketotic status.

Whether you’re just curious, or monitoring for health reasons, using the right tool is essential. Otherwise, frustration is inevitable.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #12

I find it humorous that those with low ketone readings want higher ones and those with high readings want lower ones.

Reminds me of middle school days when all the early developers wished they had smaller busts and all the late bloomers were wishing they had larger chests.

I myself had been in deep purple zone until about a week ago when it finally dipped to moderate. My perception was that the higher levels were an indication I hadn’t become adapted yet as my body was waisting so much. And when it finally dipped it was an indication that I had adapted and my body was burning more ketones for fuel. This was all reinforced by how I felt during that time.

Also higher ketone levels deplete electrolytes faster, so there’s a constant balanacing act of getting enough electrolytes replenished. And when you misjudge there are moments of dizziness and nausea.
So having purple pee sticks has its draw backs too.
I wouldn’t worry about trying to get it higher. I’m certainly happy with moderate zone.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #13

If the ketone testing is making you crazy, stop doing it.

Pee strips are nigh worthless. Have a low carb day, drink no fluid. You will produce a dark purple color. This is not recommended because, well, you need the water. But by testing the concentration of what is in the urine, you’re testing hydration and what ketones you are not actually making use of.

I’d get rid of the test strips and preserve my sanity, if I were you.

Ketone levels are only half the story. Blood glucose levels are equally, if not more important. BG is a better indicator of what’s happening with insulin, which is really the main actor, but unfortunately, not easily measured.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #15

Why is BG not easily measured?

BG is easily measured. It can serve as a proxy for insulin, which isn’t easily measured.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #17

Sorry, can’t read this early in the morning- need coffee!

(Dan Dan) #18

Mental Clarity, Sustained Energy, Fat Loss, Restoration of Health are pretty good measurements :crazy_face:

As someone who is obsessed with weighing and testing ketones I agree chasing numbers can be problematic :open_mouth:

If you are obsessed Like me I suggest getting a cheap breathalyzer its a quick and painless way to check for ketones.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alcohol-Tester-Professional-Digital-Breathalyzer-Breath-Analyzer-with-LCD/269219215

(Christy Dyson) #19

wow! Thank you for that Info I have been keeping my fat around 70 and protein 100 so thats gotta be it:)

(Christy Dyson) #20

I think I really wanted more than just :trace: as proof I was doing it right! I do lose more weight just low carb and not eating any processed food. but i really wanted to dive into this because I am overweight always have been, and its the only way to control my appetite thanks so much for your advice hun, I love this site!

(Christy Dyson) #21

oh, Im overweight and when i eat any carbs i have no control over my appetite. being in ketosis is the only way I can manage my life thanks huh