Ketone Blood testers

(Paul H) #1

I am a type 2 diabetic and pricking my finger is a no problemo. I have purchased ketone test strips but,dang getting that in my stream is just not right…lol and they expire in 90 days after opening… No I am not peeing in a cup either. I want this to be a swift easy process like my BS test. It’s my understanding the blood test is somewhat more reliable as well… Soo. I know get to it Paul.

Which Blood tester do ya’ll use? Prices for strips as well?

As to not be redundant… I did do a search but not much current came up… Thanks for all input!

(bulkbiker) #2

What country are you in…?

(Paul H) #3

The USA

(bulkbiker) #4

OK I can’t be of much help there then…

(Ethan) #5

Keto mojo is the most cost effective

Pee strips are almost useless anyway, designed to test for ketoacidosis, not nutritional ketosis.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_all_about_ketostix

(Khara) #7

I have the KetoMojo. It’s the only one I have so I have no stats on comparisons to other products. My understanding though is that they have the cheapest test strips. The meter works great, I’ve had no problems with it. I recently also added on their Bluetooth connector which downloads your readings to an app for tracking over time. I’m pleased with it.

(Jane) #8

I have a Keto Mojo. Ketone strips are $1 each so I only test when fasting for curiosity sake. The Blood Glucose strips are a lot cheaper. And one finger prick will work for both tests.

(Britt) #9

Keto-Mojo. Ketone strips are @ $50 for 50. Glucose strips are @ $15 ( I might be off by a few $$). It’s reliable and easy to use.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #10

I also use keto-mojo. I use both BG and BHB when my fasts >28 hrs or so. Just to check GKI or Dr Boz ratio. I do BG solo mor often.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

@OgreZed Testing urine is NOT almost useless. You can learn some very valuable information from doing so, even after you are fully fat adapted. In fact, I proposed a simple experiment that any fully fat adapted person can try for themselves here:

My premise is that when fully fat adapted, there should be close synch between output of ketones by the liver and uptake of ketones by cells and organs. The better, longer fat adapted, one should expect a fairly uniform energy balance, varying neither positive nor negative by much. In this condition there will be no ketones in urine.

The presence of ANY ketones in urine indicates a positive energy imbalance. In other words, the liver is synthesizing more ketones (ie acetoacetate) than is being utilized by cells and organs. When there is excess acetoacetate in the blood it converts itself to β-hydroxybutyrate to store the energy in a more stable state. If acetoacetate and β-hydroxybutyrate accumulate in the blood beyond meeting the current demand, it gets dumped via the kidneys to urine.

In the experiment proposed, I want to test whether consuming alcohol will shift the metabolism into a positive energy imbalance and result in ketones getting dumped via urine. Only ketostix can give us the information required. I think you might agree that this is important information. Does it matter if you measure β-hydroxybutyrate at 5mmol and you’re pissing away half of it? You would only know that by using a ketostix.

(Paul H) #12

OK Mojo it is… I understand the strips still give info but, dang gotta have flawless technique…lol

Thank you all!

(Paul H) #13

Oh cool… I am on Amazon right now and realized that you meant what you said…lol It tests both with one prick… I had know idea. I just watched the Youtube video as well… Nice to have options.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #14

Do the BG first as it takes 4 seconds. Then wipe the blood away and squeeze new blood from the same prick for ketones. That way you will likely have good chance of a good reading.

I was just searching around for information about this. I don’t think I am willing to get one just yet, but I was wondering what people used. And how often they test.

I wonder, at what point in this WOE for members here did you break down and buy one if you did not already have one.

Or, by comparison, how many have been at this a long time and have never purchased and used one?

(Scott) #16

I agree. My wife bought some and tested but I just decided nah, I am not doing that. It was later that I discovered that the ketones in urine show only wasted ketones. I think the ketones in blood show only extra ketones that are not yet used. In either case they both diminish as your body uses them more efficiently. This then leads back to why bother? The only ketone meters I use are the scale, the mirror and which belt loop I buckle into. I am also cheap too. I hear the test strips are in the $1 per test. Nothing wrong with testing but I came to the conclusion that it was something I can do without.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

@Kage 2 1/2 years and I have never purchased one and sincerely doubt that I ever will. The mere thought of sticking holes in my fingers makes me cringe. As an apparently healthy individual with no symptoms of any particular metabolic issues I don’t see any point to donate blood just to determine how much available fuel is drifting around unused in my blood. I can understand someone with a medical condition that requires monitoring of that available fuel, but otherwise I see little point. The info gained is very transient. Due to the inconvenience, expense, mess and pain, anyone doing it for other than necessity is unlikely to do it frequently enough even to establish a daily baseline. Without a baseline for comparison, random samples are of little to no use other than to establish that one is in ketosis and simply eating sub-20 grams of carbs does that.