Ketogenic bread options

bread

(VLC.MD) #1

Is bread a safe thing for keto ? To me it seems like it could be a food that is more insulinogenic than one might predict, thus keto bread is a risk factor for a stall. Nevertheless, some people might be fine with small amounts of keto bread and it seems like a good idea for a LCHF (low carbs, but not ketogenic level of carbs) life. It could also be a good food for Carb addicted kids.

I recently bought some bread that was 3 carbs per slice. It really seemed quite like bread (which scared me). If it is too good to be true … it probably is.

Tell us about your bread !

(Sophie) #2

I don’t do much bread anymore. Wheat makes me feel lousy so I have to make my own gluten free, which I don’t do very often because most recipes taste like crapola. I’ve never purchased ready made gluten free bread because of the carb counts. Being on Keto and fully fat adapted has greatly reduced my cravings for bread anyway. Instead, I find myself craving the greasy hamburger with melted cheese and bacon, but when I want something extra, I make the hamburger buns below. They are incredibly filling and very tasty too, which surprised the hell out of me. They also freeze well.

Keto food you would pay for that isn't available to purchase readily (for you)

I’ve made paleo bread and crackers that were ok to pretty good but it’s kind of a pain. The other night I had bratwurst and really wanted something bread-like for it. I decided to experiment with Brenda Zorn’s pork rind waffle recipe and made it into a wrap(minus the spices). Worked pretty well.

(Jacob Wagner) #4

@carl has said that he uses bagels from

I havn’t tried them myself though.

–Jacob

(Sophie) #5

I did look into Fox Hill but couldn’t justify the price + shipping for just “bread”. To me it’s like buying Starbucks for $7 when I can make coffee in my French Press that’s pretty awesome for pennies on the dollar and it’s all done in the comfort of my own home. I don’t have to spend gas and time going to get it.

(Brian) #6

Sophie, thanks for the burger bun video! Those look pretty good. May need to try them out. :slight_smile:

(Sophie) #7

You’re welcome, I was pretty chuffed with them. Even my non-keto hubby thought they were great, but then he is used to heavier, German types of bread which we don’t really do here in the states.

(Brian) #8

I like heavy bread as long as it’s not too dry or tough. Used to make a wonderful 100% (ground the wheat myself) bread that I could probably sell if I wanted to. Still miss that.

I’ll give these buns a try when I get a chance.

Just outta curiosity, have you tried different shapes, either flatter/larger or in more of a loaf shape for slicing?

(Jacob Wagner) #9

I have had the bread in this thread. It makes a small loaf that you can cut to taste.

–Jacob

(Sophie) #10

Brian, I used to make a really mean baguette back in the day. Bread was one of my few downfalls as I never cared for sweets much. These buns really surprised me. They were neither dry nor tough (even after freezing) and that’s why hubby liked them so much. He asked me several times what was in them, and he is an engineer (hyper-critical/analytical). I hope you do try them and let us know what you think. And no, I haven’t tried different shapes but that would be something fun to test out! Thanks for the suggestion.

(John B) #11

I made these the other day for Hamburgers, and they turned out great!

(Sophie) #12

I have to take something to a Xmas party and I’ve been thinking about keto crackers and a cheese ball. It’d be nice if there was something that I could actually eat there. I might give these a test drive and see if the spices need to be tweaked since I’ve never had them before. And who knows, I might just convert someone! :smile:

(Brian) #13

Sophie, those flaxseed crackers kinda remind me of those little candies we used to have when we were kids, but made out of sesame seeds.

The look is a little odd to my eye but I’d be willing to have a try at them. Don’t have any flax seeds at the moment, though. Will have to pick some up as I really do like crackers. (It’s been a long time since most of 'em are on the naughty list…)

(Sophie) #14

I suspect they are pretty good if Chef John is doing them. I’ve always loved his videos, and most of his recipes that I’ve tried have been wonderful. Besides, he sings to me! :heart_eyes: :smile:

I really wish he’s do more keto friendly stuff but time will tell. I feel a shift beginning to take place in the nutrition world albeit slowly, it’s there nonetheless. Money talks and BS walks! Yayyyy for us!

(Sophie) #15

I remember those too. I think they were honey and sesame seeds. Loved those and we could only find them at the health food store. Quit makin me think of recipes to test! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I made a batch and really liked them. I’ll play with the spices until I find what suits me best.
Thanks for sharing. I’d have never thought of this, it works really well and crazy simple.

(Sophie) #17

Thanks for the comment about the spices. I made my batch today and did some small tweaking. I upped the garlic and onion powder (1/2tsp ea.) but kept the salt amount the same. When I spread out the crackers I sprinkled some Kosher salt on top. I’m really happy with the crunch and the texture is great, but the flavors are off. I think the salt is good, but I think on my next batch I’ll nix the onion powder and up the garlic a bit more. I’ll test mine tonight with a big 'o hunk of Brie. I’ve missed that!

I went with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, oregano.
I wonder if briefly toasting the seeds first would add some taste. May try that some time. I actually have batch 2 in the fridge now.

(Sophie) #19

Well, I didn’t use the darker seeds…mine where the lighter ones and it says they are toasted. Now I wonder if
I should use the untoasted ones or not. LOL I like your spice mix. I usually make a recipe as written for the test drive so I have a base idea unless I know the amounts are questionable. Lemme know how you tweak your spices.

Will do… I can never seem to follow a recipe to the letter. I guess I like to play in the kitchen.