KetoAide homemade

ketoaid
electrolyte
extendedfast
newbies
fasting

(Kirk) #283

(Wendy) #284

I saw this too! I’ve been keto about 1.5 years and can’t get a good night’s sleep because of leg camps. I am so hopeful this is what I’ve been missing to address the leg cramps. Good luck!

(Joey) #285

First of all, thank you @Brenda for starting this excellent post. Let me be clear that I am NOT recommending potassium. But I just noticed something I do need to share…

Having just come back from the store with my bottle of magnesium citrate (“Equate” generic brand from you-know-where), I mixed up a batch using 1/2 tablespoon in 24 oz and am now left wondering what’s behind the potassium concern.

More specifically, the label on the CHERRY flavor of Equate - which lists different sub-ingredients than the LEMON or GRAPE), states that, along with 280 mg of magnesium, it also contains 61 mg of potassium per fluid ounce of product. From your perspective, is this actually a concern?

FWIW, I also used 1/4 teaspoon of Redmond Sea Salt (which tastes perfectly acceptable to my palate as I find it to be no saltier than typical electrolyte sports drinks anyhow). And so, using 24 oz of water, my calculations produce this combined result in a full 24 oz bottle serving…

Sodium = 531 mg
Chloride = 841 mg
Magnesium = 71 mg
Potassium = 16 mg ***
Calcium = 7 mg
Iodine = 27.4 micrograms (1,000 micrograms = 1 mg)

*** To be clear, I’m not adding any potassium, nor am I recommending anyone should … but apparently they’ve added potassium bicarbonate as an ingredient in this magnesium citrate solution (per the label).

If you have reason to be concerned about the presence of this ingredient at this level, could you elaborate enough so I can better understand why?

What also struck me was the statement that it should be used within 24 hours of opening the bottle. Well, at 1/2 tablespoon per 24 oz of drinking, I’d be trashing almost all of each and every bottle within 24 hours of opening. Does that make any sense?

Thanks for all you do!

(BTW, I eat plenty of avocados, broccoli, spinach and m-e-a-t)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #286

on second thought.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #287

This is a trace amount, and added to keep the solution fresh- not added as a potassium supplement. Ignore it.

(Joey) #288

UPDATE: As it turns out, Walmart changed their supplier for this Equate stuff. Now it comes in plastic (not glass) bottles, and it all has same formula (i.e., no potassium bicarbonate).

FWIW, I finally bought a big bag o’ magnesium citrate powder. A a scoop gets you 500mg of elemental magnesium so I toss one into my H2O bottle first thing in the morning and that’s enough for one day. Easy peasy.

Wow thank you so much! I think you just gave me the answer to a problem I’ve been having :open_mouth:

(Jackie) #291

Hello and thank you for the recipe.
Do you think this mix would affect ones gut?
I stopped using magnesium at night 6 months ago as I had an IBS flare. I am not sure what caused the flare but it seems to be mostly settled now.
I fasted on from Sunday evening to Tuesday morning (36 hrs) and had the worst headache and nausea. It seemed like I could not get my electrolytes balanced.
I would like to try this recipe but am asking the brains trust for any info.
thanks