Keto women over 50

(Dawn Ellis) #643

Me. I started in December. I’ve lost near 25 lbs. I am just starting to try the OMAD thing. I love researching and learning new stuff.

(Helen Taylor) #644

Don’t forget, ladies, that the peri menopause can make your hair thin, especially body hair. I’ve been peri since I was 42, am now 51 and coming to the end. Is why I’ve decided to get a grip with my weight, I’ve put loads on over the last six years, but also have had depression and absolutely rubbish sleep for years, and the latter affects life from mood, through food. All thanks to the hot flushes, boob cysts and palpitations, super dry skin and crap sleep.

At least I can be slim again. Here’s to it!

(Amy) #645

Since we’re all talking about boobs and hormones, I’ll share my experience. I’ve been slim my whole life, until I gained 15 lbs over the last 3 years. Keto took it off in 2 months (last fall), but it really messed with my hormones! I went from a C cup to an A in 2 weeks! On the plus side, no more lumpy, swollen painful breasts! I’m 49, and very near menopause, I think!

At first I bled a lot, then I started having periods only every 8 weeks. My hair fell out and I turned into a dried up piece of jerky, inside and out -dry skin, mucous membranes, constipation, dehydrated crampy muscles, etc. In January, I started adding in a few healthy carbs (fruit, veggies, occasional grains), but continued IF, which improved the dryness and helped me sleep. I still have no boobs and only bleed occasionally.

Now I use Keto more like a tool than a WOL. I stay in ketosis about half the time. If I start feeling inflammation or having night sweats, I cut out carbs or fast for a day or two, and then I feel better.

As an update to my post a couple days ago, Aunt Flo remains about 1/10th of what it was prior to EF+Ginger Capsules+IF. I am STUNNED. I’ve never felt so normal, and free during the period days!
My diet has remained pretty strict this whole week…
Eggs, salt and butter, and 2 Coffee in the morning between 9 and 10.
I leave for work at 1030. Start work at 11, then work straight through- no breaks usually- until around 330-400. At that point, I get an Americano and eat 4-5 Simms beef sticks (from Aldi’s). I get off work at 730; home by 8. Some nights, I don’t eat anything, other nights a little salad and cheese. Last night, I was ravenous. Ate 2 hamburger patties- with cheese. Then nibbled on about 1/3 of salted cottage cheese. Drank a whole bottle of water, too.
This morning, I’m down to a new low! Starting Keto, I was 232, then re-starting after the holidays, I was 228. This morning, 211.6.
Now, I have just a hair less than 62 pounds left to lose. YAY! When I get to 150, who knows? I might decide to go lower!

If your hair is falling out you are low in animal protein. You have eat enough.

Well. Did not expect to be giving an Aunt-Flo update quite this soon, but apparently she couldn’t stay away for the usual 28 days. 9 days early this time!
Here is what I did:
Usual supplement regimen of Fish oil, Iron Complex, Mag, Potas, Iodoral, Vit D, Ginger.
Thinking that I was farther away from the start date, I discontinued the fish oil last Monday, and Tuesday at 8, I started a 108 hour fast.
Fast finished Friday evening. Flo started Friday morning! Because I was in fasting- I guess I just didn’t feel anything other than an occasional hunger pang.

Thus far, I’ve had a few annoying cramps, but not long lasting, and not terrible at all. The actual “flow” has been on the border of quite heavy and gushing. I went to church today, but I came armed with more pads, and its a good thing I did. In 3 hours time, Wow. I was shocked after the last visit. Way heavier than last time.

Having said all that, I feel fantastic after the fast. My hair and skin are in great shape. I didn’t lose a whole lot of weight at all- a couple of pounds, but that was all offset by the period bloating and usual weight gain. I don’t know about others, but I have always gained 3-5 pounds prior. IN this case, I didn’t…I just didn;t lose pounds when I thought I should have. I’ll have to see how the next couple of days go. Working overtime this week, and must come to work armed with the giant pads and wear my THINX. Gosh those things are lifesavers!

I know you posted this months ago but wondered if I could ask your strategy for getting off celexa? I tried, pre-keto but it was horrendous and I felt suicidal. Back on them now and moods are calm. Thinking maybe after I’m fat adapted I might be able to consider trying again. Any tips greatly appreciated x

Thinking maybe after I’m fat adapted I might be able to consider trying again.

Chezza , I would just focus on your first goal of getting into Keto. Once you have this WOE figured out and you’ve eliminated most carbs from your diet, I think you will naturally feel a boost in your overall health and mental stability. Baby steps each day. Remember it’s a marathon and not a sprint and you’re doing great!! Good for you for looking for ways to be healthier. I’m sure you will reach your goals in time. Good luck! :heart:

(Cathie Caperton) #651

I started January 1st I had hysterectomy and I’m losing down 64lbs

(PSackmann) #652

@Regina coming in late on this, I prefer Hanes 18-hour bras. They’re not lacy and sexy, but the support is wonderful and no wires. Also, a much wider variety of sizes online, unlike some places that think anything above a D has to be in a band at least 40 if not larger.
On a side note, my aunt was very well endowed and had to buy hers at Frederick’s of Hollywood (only place with her size back in the 60’s and 70’s). She laughed and called them her rawhide bras–move 'em in, move 'em out. (look it up if you don’t get the humor)

(Patricia) #653

Careful! It is possible to OD on magnesium even in bath form.

(Patricia) #654

Same here. I even think there is a war on short people. Why do they always put what I want to buy on the top shelf? :grin:

I too am frequently hungry on keto, because I have to count calories as well as carbs, protein, fat. However, it is manageable, which it was not when I was on a low-cal, low-fat diet. I got so depressed then and started saying things impusively to people in my family. It was weird.

Anyway, I’m 67 and have been doing keto for a little over 3 years. I’ve lost over 55 pounds, but it’s been slow with several plateaus that seemed to last forever. I will not give up, though, because this is the only way to live as far as I’m concerned. All my numbers were great at the doc’s office except my cholesterol, and I think that’s bogus anyway.

At some point I may have to have some abdominal skin removed, because I’m starting to look like an old lady in a sack.

(Patricia) #655

I have been wearing Playtex style # 4049 for several years. I can’t wear underwire bras. They always poke me under the arms. Maybe that is because I have narrow shoulders. I don’t know. I also have problems with straps falling off my shoulders unless I can put the hooks on the row that makes the band the smallest.

(Susan) #656

I just discovered this thread! Following it now though; as I am 54 and definitely a Keto woman too! =)

(Susan) #657

@Tulip

I personally Hate underwire bras; I always have, even when I was slim and trim (many years ago!) but I really find them painful, hurting under my breasts, in my sides, everywhere.

So, I have them to wear when needed (going out when I need to look really nice and in my “good” clothes). The rest of the time when going out, I wear bras that have some support without being underwire.

Around the house I never wear any… unless certain company is coming over (males basically) like if a couple is coming over, or workmen, etc. If one of my friends is coming over for a coffee, or any of my kids, I do not bother, and they are my kids so used to this!

This is a good sign that you’re wearing something that is too large in the band size. Try going down a size or two–you will also probably need to size up the cups a couple of sizes. I had the same problem with falling straps until I changed my size this way. I can’t remember the last time I had a strap fall off.

(Patricia) #659

Ha, ha, good for you! I’m all about comfort myself. Maybe I would look better with an underwire, but I don’t think I will find out. :wink:

In a message dated 6/29/2019 5:20:18 PM Central Standard Time, forums@www.ketogenicforums.com writes:

(Patricia) #660

Thanks. I kind of thought it was just the way I’m built. I’m trying to avoid buying much in the way of new clothes, because I am still losing weight, albeit slowly. Maybe I’ll try on some new ones the next time I’m out shopping.

In a message dated 6/29/2019 6:28:37 PM Central Standard Time, forums@www.ketogenicforums.com writes:

split this topic #661

2 posts were split to a new topic: Bioidentical estrogen

(hottie turned hag) #663

My mother didn’t go into menopause until age 55 :flushed:. The age of menarche affects onset of menopause; she was 16 when she got her first period (was born in 1923; puberty started way later back then). I went into menopause at 49; menarche was at age 14. Just an anecdote.