Keto women over 50

You’re very welcome! And… the funny thing is that keto’s fat burning release of old estrogen stored in fat may well mean regular robust cycles for a few months during a high estrogen process.

Yes, body recomposition happens sooner or later. It takes a good 2-3 years for midlife women and IR people to really achieve maximum keto benefits as far as I can tell. Makes sense though - considering all our years of HCLF, and how the body prioritizes urgent matters such as healing the liver over say more cosmetic things like pudgy belly changes. However, all in good time is my credo. And I also love the fact that strength training once a week really enhances/speeds processes. I look forward to getting back into weekly training sessions eventually myself. :four_leaf_clover:

OH! You hit the nail on the head! I had completely forgotten about the release of hormones. That certainly explains things. And, never has one made better use of the word “robust”. Ugh.

Well, I am determined, now more than ever, to stay with this. I honestly cannot see any other healthy, non invasive way to deal effectively with the weight and related health issues than Keto. I know that the stress-induced belly rolls will be an ongoing issue to wage war against, but at least this kind of eating plan makes for a formidable defense. Slow and steady wins the race!

Thanks again so much.

Thank you for the tip on ginger. Adding it now in hopes of reducing cortisol as I have so much stress in my life!

(b vo) #44

I am in my 60s and have been doing keto and intermittent fasting for 6 months. I have lost 30 pounds but am now hitting plateaus on a regular basis. I have also had to change my estrogen supplementation as am getting a lot from burning fat cells. I would love to have a group of women with the same hormonal challenges to work with as I tackle losing the rest of my weight and improving my health.

(Susan Lawrence) #45

Exactly! My face does look older I have to admit. But my body looks great now. I’m moving like a much younger woman. And my energy is amazing!
I’m 66.
( I started the Zorn fast this month and I’m up to almost a 134 hours. I’m doing it for a autophagy and to make my mitochondria really happy!)
You are a young thing at age 60!:blush:

Please explain how you feel autophagy is working for you. I stumbled upon the word on this forum and had to look into exactly what it is and I am quite intrigued by it.

(Tracy Chaffin) #47

Hi ladies! I’m so glad to see this thread - I’m 53 diagnosed with fibromyalgia and have been keto for 18 months. Lost 5 lbs in the first month then the dawn phenomena set in and I stopped sleeping and gained 8 back. I listened to LeAnn and did a carb up which helped my sleep. Since then I implement them during a flare or crash to get out of that painful, discouraging situation. But I feel like a failure when I do. I’ve been low carbing since the 90’s and I love keto! Although it hasn’t been the answer to fatigue or brain fog for me. I feel isolated because planned intermittent fasting feels very stressful for me - I can only do it when it happens naturally. I’m not technically overweight but I’m definitely 10 lbs heavier than I like to be and used to be comfortable at. I could use support from women our age who face different challenges with our health and keto! I’m hanging in there but so discouraged.

(Susan Lawrence) #48

Well my face is smoother. But what is so so so very exciting is it upper arm flap skin is actually less!

(medleyc) #49

Impressive, because I hadn’t even heard of KETO 20 yrs ago…

(medleyc) #50

What does your name mean?

Wow, you’ve really been through the wringer! It seems that discouragement is a bit of a recurring theme for some of us. While I battle often with that particular emotion, I’ve become even more discouraged (and angry) about the extra pounds and associated aches/illnesses - so much so that it has boosted my determination to drop these extra pounds and improve my health for the long term.
I’m trying to find motivation and encouragement daily, from noticing little things like improved mental clarity to less aches in the knees and back, more energy, better skin, etc. And, its especially important for me to think on these improvements when the scale won’t budge.
To help move things along, I’ve done intermittent fasting (16/8), and an extended fasting (5 days), but that is especially difficult here. I’m also the chief cook and bottle washer. With a hubby and 3 kids still at home, all of whom have been blessed with high metabolism, it is beyond difficult for me to do extended fasts. The 5 day worked out fairly well, and I felt like a different person afterwards. It is difficult when one is thrust into the kitchen constantly, though.
I find that this particular thread, and site in general, is especially helpful in finding solutions, encouragement and new ideas for coping with these struggles. So stay with it, and visit often. =) Best wishes in your journey!!!

I didn’t mean it to sound like I lost the weight through keto… I actually lost it doing Nutrisystem and excercising. I was restricting calories and eating low fat. Completely opposite of the way I’m eating now! But back then, low fat was the rage and I didn’t know what I do now.

(betsy.rome) #53

I’m 63, dealing with similar issues as you other gals. Dieted all my life, was my goal weight for 5 minutes when in my early 20’s. Vertically challenged! (5’1"). Did Atkins in the 90’s, yo-yo’d a lot the next decade or 2, and found keto almost 2 years ago. Exercise is a challenge for me as I have 2 bad knees, one is replaced (lousy job, still hurts) and the other is shot; I try to swim 1x-2x week but pools are far away.

I lost 35 lbs on keto, but have gained 7 of those back this winter to my dismay, and feeling burned-out lately, “diet fatigue”. I’m hoping to put a push on it this spring and re-lose those same damned pounds with the aim of achieving goal weight by my birthday in November (136 lbs now, goal 120).

For those of you looking for more support, I’m a member of a fantastic group of women on Facebook, Kickarse Keto Bitches, led by the amazing Daisy Brackenhall. Def worth checking out.

(Dale) #54

Hi! I am 66 and finishing my 4th week of Keto. It took a few to weeks to minimize hunger. Haven’t lost weight yet but inflation in thumb joints has gone down. I’m now less hungry and working on restricting calories. I’m also going to see if using less dairy helps with weight loss.

(Dale) #55

I understand the frustration when Keto doesn’t work the way it seems to for others. I’m in my 4th week. I see the benefits of reduced inflammation, constant energy level (no mid day crashes) and I’m less hungry finally. I haven’t lost weight but am hoping my decreased appetite will bring good news soon
I’ve had to evaluate why I’m doing this. I like the benefits of the low carb diet. But it is not my goal any more than Ketosis is my goal. If I don’t lose weight then I’ll have to do some adjusting. I’m working on keeping calories down while following the eating plan.
I’ve been on thyroid meds since I was 27 and had an operation. I might have to play around with the number of carbs to see what works for me.

(medleyc) #56

None of us knew any better. Keep up the good work.

(Tracy Chaffin) #57

I’m super interested in fasting. Since intermittent fasting is difficult for me I’ve been afraid to try. It’s awesome to here you’re doing well with it! Thanks for sharing!

Glad to have found this thread. I have been keto (15-35 carbs) for 10 months now.

I am 52, an 11-year breast cancer survivor, have Hashimotos (well managed on thyroid med for 30+ years), post-hysterectomy, and I have two teens.

I found keto when I was searching for new cancer prevention and anti-inflammatory strategies last year when it was time for me to come off my “safety net”, Tamoxifen.

Since then I have lowered my Thyroid anti-bodies, improved my thyroid levels and lowered my medication dose, went from 28% body fat to 21% (lost 10 lbs overall), improved my overall energy (what? no need for afternoon power nap anymore???!!!), improved my cognitive function and mood, and love the feeling of being in my body (for the first time)! (THE BEST PART!). I am stronger, for sure. And my labs are fantastic!

I do two or three times a week HIIT, 5 days a week of yoga, and 4 days of hour-long, hikes in the hills with my pups, at around a 2.5-3 mile per hour pace (mostly strolling and enjoying the view.) I eat very simple keto, whole foods only. I also meditate for a minimum of 20 minutes, most days.

I am not into processed meats, although a slice or two here and there of hubby’s bacon sometimes beacons. Typical meals for me are: Steamed spinach (about a cup cooked) or raw salad with arugula, broccoli sprouts (home grown), pepitas, sesame seeds, seaweed sprinkle, with two poached eggs (or canned sardines/salmon), ghee, or pesto (both homemade), flax crackers (also homemade) and AVOCADO. I eat about an avocado a day. Dinners are typically fish or grass fed beef or tofu (no issues here with soy), with cauliflower rice or kelp noodles, more green non-starchy veggies, and maybe a tablespoons serving of a fat bomb with my evening tea (which has coconut/almond milk in it). About once a week I’ll have a low-carb type dessert that I will make, like ice cream. I never feel deprived. I use very little stevia, if at all, but after experimenting with it and finding it has no negative effect on blood sugar/fasting insulin level/hunger/cravings, I decided that occasional use was ok for me.

I am naturally IF most days, average 16 hours, although sometimes more, sometimes less. OVERALL, I listen to my body. Some days I naturally eat very little, and then a few days later I eat a LOT! I have also done fasts of 36, 48, 68, and 96 hours long. Fasting lately hasn’t been easy and so I don’t push it longer than 36-48 hours.

I have never felt better in my life, although every day on keto has not been like this. The first month was a lot of up and down. I never had the full-on keto flu, but in the first two weeks I would crash at different times of the day. After that, those days would be few and far between, but still present at times. I have those maybe once a month and can now tell if it is because I am not eating enough, or not getting enough fat/protein. I now have days where I crave broccoli! I love it with ghee and nutritional yeast and some salt. Salt and I are best buds! I use Real Salt only. I make sure I get all my electrolytes too and I have Sole water every morning, first thing when I wake up. Except for ghee, I do not eat dairy, due to intolerance. My first meal is usually between 11-2, due to appetite, not forcing any time restriction. Sometimes I have MCT oil powder in my coffee or tea, but I am generally not a fatty hot drink person.

My blood glucose is at a steady baseline of mid-70’s to mid 80’s, as are ketones (in nutritional range). When I first went keto my ketones were in the mid 2’s to mid 3’s. Now they range between 0.4-1.3. I hear this is a normal fluctuation after some time on keto.

Tracking my food with Cronometer has been a great tool and extremely useful in the beginning to teach me about amounts and portions. Now I mostly eyeball it and eat intuitively. After 5 months of tracking, I have a much better idea of what my body needs and can simply be mindful of how I feel.

I feel better than I ever remember feeling, whatever age. I am so glad I found this way of eating!

Great @DebRox - I’m now up to two caps of Ginger twice a day, and I feel a lot of stress management support plus my innards keep shrinking :wink: I think I’ll be continuing the supplementation for another few years at least, it is such a superfood.

KCKO :sunflower:

(Ruthann) #60

Just start small - whatever you can do. Build on it. I started with 16:8 meaning I fasted after dinner 7pm til 11am the next morning. I still have coffee, water, bone broth. Then extend when you can. Dr. Fung’s Complete guide to intermittent fasting is a great resource as is this board. I have made it to 36 hours. I wouldn’t have thought I could do it either. Definitely helps if you are fat adapted first.