Keto women over 50

(Marie Dantoni) #61

Rachelle, You certainly seem to have fine tuned keto perfectly for the unique physiology of women over 50. Congratulations, and thanks for generously sharing.

(Marie Dantoni) #62

I’ve been making a large pot of green tea with tinctures of berberis, and reishi mushroom and freshly grated ginger. Very warming. It is helping me to fight off a late winter cold and I hope it also helps my metabolism.

Marie, where do you source your herbs/mushrooms? I am always looking for organic and good sources.

(Marie Dantoni) #64

Well, The Berberis comes from a bush in my back yard. It is a common “weed” found all over the world. I peel off the bark and simmer I found the reishi growing wild in the woods…wild reishi is a little harder to find. Jimmy Moore sells Berberine (Berberis). Sorry I don’t have any experience ordering Rachelle.

(Robin May) #65
  1. Keto for 5 months

Oh my, that sounds powerful and lovely! Am not familiar with berberis - but I know reishi a bit, it’s pricey. Sometimes the circumstances call for a magical broth rather than mere capsules of stuff though :wink:

(Teresa Coffman) #67

Hello everyone, I’m new to this site. I’m 54 and have lost 49 lbs since August! Post menopausal and on thyroid. I eat Keto and do daily 22/2 IF and a 47 hour EF once a week (hoping to extend that soon to 72). I’m really into cooking great Keto food and excited about all the recipes on this site.

I am happy to have found this forum. I will be 58 this year and have been trying to follow a primal/ low carb eating style since 2012. I initially lost about 15 lbs and lots of inches. Unfortunately I wasnt as disciplined as I needed to be and the lbs and inches are creeping back. I’m post menopausal, am hypothyroid which I control with natural bovine thyroid and spend most of my time in the office. I dont have a lot of weight to lose just the fat. I started seriously following a Ketogenic diet a month ago, tracking my macros and keeping my calories at 1000, fat 80 protein 70 and carbs under 20. I am trying not to be discouraged since my weight remains the same and I feel like my body is storing fat at this point. I’m in a constant state of ketosis so that’s not the problem. I didn’t know about the stored estrogen so that’s something to think about. I want to be strong and healthy in this next phase of life so Keto it is.

(fb932016af3aea571345) #69

The stored estrogen, is that from taking HRT? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

(Andi McNamara) #70

I’m on HRT, would like to get off. But while keto, hot flashes are back and sleep is horrible again. I had pretty much finished with those before going keto.
No weight loss, but did lose 3 inches from my waist, then stalled.
Trying to KCKO. Hoping to get off HRT, but I’m afraid of more hot flashes and worse sleep. And more weight gain.

(Virginia Austin) #71

I’m 63 and have tried to keep my carbs below 25 for a year. Some days I can’t do it! 6/7 days I can. Keto mug bread helps me a lot. I use almond flour. I initially lost 14 lbs but only 9 after not exercising as much. I’m back to trying again full time. My goal is to lose 9 more lbs this year and for it to be forever gone.

(Julie Salinas) #72

I’m very similar to you. No breakfast but coffee with HWC. Mid to late afternoon lunch if at all. I wasnt aware that HWC might have carbs, always thought it was just cream. I’ll get some organic cream and see how that goes. I have been stalled for about a month - always gaining/losing the same 6 lbs. I was OMAD for a while but now trying to mix up the fasting to a 42 hour couple times a week. Not sure if it’s working yet, time will tell.

(Stacy Summers Johnson) #73

I am 57 and not on any medication, except for an allergy pill at bedtime. No gallbladder and minus one ovary. I should have my baseline blood results back this week. I did low carb end of 2016/2017 and lost 30 pounds but gained it back. Started keto two months ago. Down 17 pounds. I have been doing intermittent fasting on Saturday and Sunday, but M-F I do BPC in the AM and then if I’m hungry a meat stick, cheese and pickles for lunch and then a keto dinner. I try to keep it simple recipe-wise. I joined a gym and am basically walking on the treadmill and/or elliptical 3-4 days a week right now. Recently bought a blood ketone meter and this seems to be working. I sure hope so because I feel 100 percent better overall.

I dont use HRT. Haven’t used any form of estrogen in over 20 years. My dr prescribed them after my hysterectomy but Stopped taking them when they started making me ill. Still have 1 ovary but have been In menopause since my early 40’s. But I’m curious if I’m producing enough estrogen to interfere with my weight loss.

(Kristin) #75

I just started a thread for women runners over 50. :blush:

What a great response! I love the comment about the “other stuff that happens”. I feel the same way. I have been eating keto for about 7 months and have lost over 30 pounds, but I honestly started this because of my aching joints, and my low energy levels in the afternoons. I have always known that carbs affect my energy levels and sugar always makes me want more, so I thought this was a good way to get the sugar out of my system and see what could happen.

When I lost 8 pounds in a week and 15 after 3 weeks, I was ecstatic. After that the weight loss slowed, plateauing and the dropping a pound or two, then plateauing again. But the real victories were when I started feeling mentally sharper, less tired, and my joints are SO MUCH BETTER. Being an athlete most of my life I have really worn out my joints and I got to a point where I could not get down on the floor with the kids in the church nursery without pain or a lot of effort. Now I can do deep squats like I used to be able to do. I also am not lying awake at night because my joints are aching and my cracking, peeling dry skin is also much improved.

The weight loss is a great bonus, but for me this is more about my overall health as I get older and that helps me stay strong because I feel so much better than I have in years!

(Paige) #77

Hi all! I am 52, in menopause, been 100% keto for 6wks, lost 12lbs total so far with 25 more to go to get to my goal weight of 150lbs (5’6"). I had already lost 10 lbs since Sept just doing low carb, so 22lbs lost total. My weight loss on keto has been a little each week except week 4, when I gained 2 lbs. I think that week my meals had alot of dairy in them. I am off my high blood pressure meds with my dr’s blessing (woo-hoo) since doing keto. I am also on HRT for hot flashes but hoping to wean off that soon. Any-hoo, enough about me…

Something I just learned yesterday and wanted to share for others who may not know is you really need to eat 7-10 cups of leafy greens or other keto vegies per day to prevent fatty liver. https://www.drberg.com/blog/a-ketogenic-diet-can-cause-a-fatty-liver I was only eating about 4c per day. Just wanted to share the info :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing, and welcome. :). There has been discussion about that recommendation and not everyone agrees with it. Dr Berg is not a physician and has no patient load. (He said he dropped his chiropractic practice in one of his videos.) I have no idea where he gets that recommendation from - perhaps someone else does. That is a lot of carbs. Just considering kale at 3 net carbs per cup, that’s 20 to 30 carbs right there (for 7 to 10 cups) if you are aiming for 20 net carbs/day. And lots more if you are going for total carbs.

I would be more likely to go with the recommendation of Dr Eric Westman who has a vast, long, successful Keto practice at Duke. He suggests a total of 3 cups of keto veggies per day. And others think no veggies are needed. But I like 'em so I keep 'em.

(Marsha) #79

Another Keto woman over 50 here – in fact, I just turned 55 last week. I’ve been Keto for about a year and 3 months. Over the past couple of years, I’ve lost 80 pounds (maybe more - I haven’t weighed recently, but people tell me it looks like I’ve lost more weight). I lost a good deal of that weight just doing low carb, but have lost the last 10+ pounds on Keto, and more importantly, have brought my fasting glucose into the normal range and my A1c to 5.3. Bottom line, I feel much younger than my years and plan to keep calm and Keto on!

(Jeannie Oliver) #80

I agree. Dr. Berg would have to give me a bit of how and why to convince me that the ketogenic diet causes fatty liver, or that I need to eat 7 or more cups of vegetables a day. I have been diagnosed with a fatty liver, and I expect to heal it with keto.

The only rationale that I can think of for his recommendation regarding vegetables is that leafy greens are a source of choline, which is essential for the liver and for many other functions in the body. Scientists used to believe that dietary choline was not important, as we also generate some of the choline we need in our bodies. However, after it was discovered that patients on complete parenteral nutrition (fed through a tube) had developed fatty liver over time, researchers learned that adding choline to the formula prevented the problem.

As it turns out, the best dietary sources for choline are meat and egg yolks. Ironically, I developed a fatty liver while avoiding red meat and eggs in my diet because I thought they were bad for me.