Keto women over 50

(TerryB) #222

Hi all.
I’m 69, on maintenance for 2 months now after 8 months of strict sub-20g carbs a day. Not one single cheat day ever.

Start weight was 174 in Nov 2017. I’m at 126 today and still losing even on a maintenance regime of 1200-1400 calories and 30-40g carbs coming mostly from green/yellow veggies but I’ve added back berries and cantaloupe to my diet. Still don’t do wheat, grains, starches, added sugar.
I had digestive issues - diverticulitis - in the spring and gave up red meat to help alleviate that. Altho I haven’t had a recurrence, I’ve discovered I do just fine sticking with poultry, fish, and eggs; red meat is now only an occasional indulgence. I get fats mostly from avocados, olive oil, nuts, and my beloved Kerrygold butter.

I walk/jog >10000 steps most days so could probably increase the calories but I’m plenty full as is.

I do intermittent fasting, eat (2 meals and 1 snack) within an 8-hour window (10AM-6PM). 2-3 evenings a week, I have a couple of glasses of wine.

I still weigh every day and most days I weigh and log my food.
This routine works for me, and I’m very satisfied with the amount and variety of food it allows me. I can easily live this way the rest of my life.

Hello All! I’m 59.5 years young and I thought I might have posted here before, but I think it was the Vintage Keto Ladies thread. Please excuse if you’ve read this before!

I’ve been Keto for the past 15 months and lost 70 pounds in the first 8-9 months. I’ve been maintaining for about 6 months - and I can’t believe I just typed that! The longest I have been able to maintain with previous attempts/diets is about 15 minutes before starting to up-cycle. There is a great maintenance thread if anyone is interested - it renews each month and it helps me with both resources and accountability. Just search September (or whatever month it is) Maintenance and it should pop up.

The resources and the stories on the thread have made all the difference in the world to me and helped me find my maintenance strategy that does not involve white knuckles! Last month I did what I call ketovore: 5 days ZC/carnivor and 2 days modest carbs (including Halo, nuts, salads, etc.). That worked so well for me that I am trying to do 30 days carnivore, but am okay if it doesn’t take - as long as I can go back to my 5/2 ketovore and easily, happily, mindfully maintain.

Thanks for this thread and I wish all of us mature keto women a fantastic and healthy journey!

Oh, and is anyone old enough to remember Ayds? Unfortunate name, but I think my mother’s Ayds stash was my first foray into a never-ending yo-yo cycle of diets and products! I am SO glad to have found Keto and this way of eating - even if I had to go through ALL the other stuff in the intervening years. Peace!

(Susan) #224

I remember Ayds - they were sold in our local ‘health’ food shop! I used to look longingly at them on way home from school (not being able to afford them), despite being nice and slim. They contained interesting ingredients according to wiki…

(Susan) #225

After my newish exercise regime (exercise bike and more walking), I’ve managed to lose 12oz this week…but…I have lost 1.5 inches of my bust (boo) and half inch off waist and hips (Yay) after being stuck for the past three weeks. I can fit comfortably into short sleeved tops without them digging into my upper arms and have bought UK size 14 jeggings and size 12 cropped trousers to wear for a trip next week to Paris, which is going to involve tons of walking. I’ve also bought a new swimming costume but have yet to venture to a pool.

(Wendy) #226

I hear you on the inches lost in the bust. I went from a 36b to a 34c.:blush: But I do like how I look much better so I guess its okay. Just was looking at pictures from April and thought I was just starting to buy smaller clothes and I looked much fatter than now.
How exciting to look forward to your trip! It is smart to start your walking now. I love how much easier being active is now!

Wow! Just looked at Wikipedia! I especially like the fact that one of the ingredients in Ayds can be used to treat ‘urinary incontinence in dogs’!

(Sharon S ) #228

I remember ayds. They were like candy.

(cheryl) #229

I remember Ayds ( like it was yesterday) …

Very good work, Donna! Way to stick with the plan! And best of luck moving forward!

I’m 10 weeks into keto, and pre-keto, I could barely walk up/down the stairs to my house due to knee and foot pain. I can now run up/down them w/o using a hand rail. And I have to take a lot of stairs to get to the subterranean train to get to/from work, and I was really afraid my knees would give out. The amount of energy and strength I have now compared to 3 months ago is amazing!

hey Virginia (I haven’t been here in months!)

YES this perimenopause stuff IS horrid. I’m feeling fine…uh-oh, I’m sweating, I’m on fire!
I eat keto, I IF for 18-20 hours/day, I throw in a few longer fasts, 3-5 days, I stop fasting, I eat more fat (bad choice) I eat less cheese…almost impossible, I eat fewer nuts, my weight seems to hover around a number I have come to resent and I finally went on a crazy carb fest for about a month and a half…then another 6 day fast and back into ketosis…S-L-O-W and hopefully steady? Not with Peri mess-with-your-mind-and-body Pause!!! AAAAAAAH!

So nice to have other 50 somethings to vent and hopefully find some answers and encouragement as well.

Oh my goodness, see…I am so over-the-top with the whole perimenopause whining, that I forgot to speak on what first occurred to me upon reading your post!
So, here goes:
For hair loss, I found that using a boar bristle brush, and hanging my head so that I could brush from the nape and down has worked like a miracle. I was afraid to try brushing so much, about 100 strokes and this is 1-2x/day, but within 2 weeks my hair was not falling out like it had been. No more grabbing a slimy bunch from the shower drain, just a few stray hairs, as well as on my clothes…instead of looking like a shedding animal! Please try the hair brushing regimen and see if that helps, you will, hopefully, be pleasantly surprised.
By the way, I have thin and fragile hair (very fine) and my mother as well as hers also have/had very thin hair. I’m hoping to keep and perhaps have thicker hair with this brushing protocol. It has worked like a miracle!

(Carissa JB) #234

I am 52 and have been living keto for 6 weeks🌞

(Edith) #235

Where does one find a boar bristle brush? I am willing to give that a try.

(Arlene) #236

Helewisa,
I’m 9 years into menopause. I still have hot flashes day and night. I don’t seem to have the option to make them go away, but I CAN make them much worse (hotter, longer lasting, more frequent), or much better.
WORSE = Any junk food treat, sugar, grains, nuts, excessive dairy.
BETTER = Eat at least 5 hours before going to bed (I need my sleep), keep my food choices very simple; such as just a meal of meat, or bacon and eggs. Adding a few green veggies doesn’t affect me one way or the other, start eliminating possible non-food triggers like perfumes (including perfumes in MANY products), lotions, mold, medications (seek out effective natural alternatives).
I often eat only one meal per day, but longer fasts cause too much stress on my body for some reason. I have tried several times. I don’t want to fight my body so I am trying to give my body everything it needs so it doesn’t produce a stress response. I eat very strict Keto, but I always eat at least once a day, sometimes twice if I’m hungry. Best of luck to you.

(back and doublin' down) #237

Me too! (there seems to be quite a bit of ‘me too’ on this thread :slight_smile:

I haven’t noticed much improvement in my hair yet. However, my nails are stronger than they’ve been …well…ever! For the first time in my life, I have to file them shorter and have even had to use a nail clipper to actually clip them shorter!

Had a hysterectomy including removal of ovaries almost 10 years ago, and stopped doing hormone replacement about 5 years ago. However, the in the first few months of keto, I had an occasional night sweat or hot flash. My PCP suspects there were traces of hormones stored in fat that were released as I lost that fat. If that’s what’s happened, how much more confusing could it be for women who’s bodies are still producing some hormones, then get hormones dumped back into the bloodstream from dissolving fat?

The more we know, the more we realize we don’t know. I do believe that eating ketogenic is healing and balancing things within my system that haven’t been healthy or balanced in 40+ years.

(Wendy Vera) #238

Hi
Sounds very familiar to me. Iv been on Keto 3 weeks this Wednesday…staying very strigent on carbs and lost 10 pounds. Now Im gaining and loosing the same 3 pounds for almost a week and a hslf. Wondering how your doing and if you found something thats worked for you.

(Mewsmom) #239

You are all over this debrox! I love it! 61 about to be 62 and just started this “new way” of eating almost 3 weeks ago… I call it new because I need to start out anew! It’s actually not as bad as I thought it would be… Few headches in the beginning but that passed and now I am just waiting for the "energy to kick in a bit… But I Stay calm and Keto on! You ladies are making my day… Be proud and keep up the good work!

(Beth) #240

Hi all - Just found this group - AGE 61, Keto since APRIL. Was vegan for quite a while, which really helped my pre-diabetes.but cholesterol kept going up. My Dr suggested seeing my nutritionist (who is AMAZING) about Keto. Fast forward. 17 pounds off, cholesterol dropped 30 points since APril. Everything else good. FOrtunately, went through menopause early - been done for about 7 years - but found early on that IF was NOT menopause friendly for my body and haven’t practiced it since then - although I eat when hungry, which sometimes is only 2x a day. Having to be careful with electrolytes, as hot yoga several times a week calls for lots more sodium. GLad to find you all and help provide support.

REcipe hint: if you haven’t tried this Keto bread recipe, try it!!! ITs a marvelous vehicle for grass-fed butter!! https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread/servings/8

Xxbeth

(Beth) #241

Hold on - the energy will come!!