Keto women over 50

The way I look at it is, if I get my metabolic issues fixed/repaired, so my BS & BP normalize, then the weight loss will come with it. If I strictly focus on weight loss and not on repairing my metabolic issues, then the weight loss probably won’t happen, and I will continue to have less desirable numbers for BS & BP.

(Sharon S ) #203

I need to focus on health first. I needed the reminder as to why I started in the first place. I will try and make that the priority and not the scale. Kcko

Exactly. If you follow the keto guidelines, you will find that the health issues begin to resolve, and the weight will follow.

(Sharon S ) #205

I sure hope that is true.

Well, so do I. I’m banking on it working! But I know that it takes time, so…

(Susan) #207

Well I managed to lose a whole 1 pound 10 oz this week! Maybe it was the exercise bike?

(Sharon S ) #208

I am starting swimming, well, water walking, this next week. Hopefully my knees will tolerate that better. I have been unable to walk for the last three days due to excruiating pain. I always feel I can’t lose if I’m not walking.

(back and doublin' down) #209

Exercise is good for us, of course, but it is NOT necessarily a required factor in losing weight. I’ve lost over 40 lbs now, and most of those week I got very little exercise.

Water walking sounds excellent for your joints. Keto is as well, if inflammation is an issue. My knees hurt for years and I managed with a supplement called OsteoBiFlex. After four weeks on keto, stopped taking it and never looked back. However, if I eat any grains, the pain is back by the next day!

(Sue Kitchell) #210

Hi PNWGirl,
I am 58 and lost about 7-9 lbs in the first 6-7 weeks but now I am not losing much. I was 160lbs and now I weigh 152lbs at 5ft 7inches. I did go down to 149 lbs for a day and my goal weight is 145lbs. I know I have gotten lazy the last 3 weeks since I have taken on more hours at work and therefore not exercising but a few times a week. I find that I have become lazy about documenting my daily macros on the app Cronometer as well. I find that this is important to keep me accountable. I have a 3 day weekend off, sort of, and I want to get back on top of being in tighter control of my macros. I have been letting myself have higher net carb mostly by having that 2nd glass of wine. My blood ketone levels are still 1.0 to 1.5 but I am hitting between 25 to 30 grams of net carbs daily where before I was below 20grams when I was strict. If I counted full carbs, I would be shocked. I know Maria Emmerich, from Maria Mind Body Health advocates total carbs, but I am not ready to take that plunge. How about you or anyone that is living keto? Total carbs vs net carbs. I know people say that documenting is not necessary, but I find that I really stay on track when I do. Helps keep me accountable.

(back and doublin' down) #211

Maybe it depends on your goals and progress towards those goals? If counting net carbs is working, go with that! If one is starting to stall (a month or more without any loss of weight OR inches), tracking becomes a tool to check for sneaking carbs. Then, maybe looking at total carbs vs net carbs could also be information to understanding more about how your body is utilizing the fuel you give it.

(Aleyne Larner) #212

I’m brand new and like the fact that this is a small group. I’m 69 y/o – the big 70 is in December and I plan to break 200 lbs before that. I moved to AZ from CA 6 years ago and the heat isn’t an excuse, but it really stopped my ability to just walk.

Started keto 6 wks ago and have lost 14 lbs. LOVE IT! The first few weeks were hard, but I’m getting the rhythm of it.

My challenge is getting enough proteins in without overdoing fats.

(Donna) #213

OMG you guys - this thread is like reading my story. You don’t know how encouraging that is! Peri-menopausal at almost 55 - severly obese (and insulin resistant) since puberty, PCOS and all the other usual hormonal issues.

My weight is sloowwwlllyyy coming off. About 15 pounds since I started keto mid-February. I get frustrated when I hear about those folks that are losing 10 pounds a month or more. That certainly isn’t me.

BUT - my body is changing - I’m down to just my 4 smallest workpants and 2 “skinny jeans” that barely fit a year ago. I’m finally starting to sleep better (thanks to theanine).

The real wins are: the energy is amazing - I no longer need my long weekend naps and don’t drag through the workday. The mental clarity is fantastic - for a couple of years I thought I was losing my mind - so mentally slow and memory not so good. My BP is back to normal after creeping up a little over the past few years. My hBa1C is the big win - down to 5.3 from 6.2 in 4 months!

I hope as I heal my body, my body will release the weight.

(Sharon S ) #214

Great job, Donna. It is good to hear from women who seem to be in same boat physically. I also am (as someone else wrote) working toward that 200 lb mark. I’ve still a ways to go but would like to start the new year at at least that weight. That would be a huge victory for me.
Went for my first water walking today…my painful knee loved the water…almost pain free when in…not so much out tho. One day at a time. Keto on, girls!

(back and doublin' down) #215

Hooray! How often will you get to go?

(Sharon S ) #216

Going to try for 3 times weekly.
It feels good to know you are doing something good for yourself! I’m always less hungry for hours after so makes IF easier also.

(back and doublin' down) #217

Lovely! Several NSVs here…feeling good, doing something good for you, less hungry and IF to boot!

Our local yoga thing starts back up this week. Unfortunately, my work schedule is going to conflict much of the time unless I can shift some things. Yoga is worth shifting appointments!

(Julie ) #218

Would like some input on if this is normal. Hair is coming out more then it was and I did see that that is normal when you change your diet after say about 3-4 months. I have been doing Keto for a little over 9 months and I was wondering if it could be a mix of that and age since I am 53. Hair dresser noticed it on my last visit. Have not still waiting to get a cross the bridge.

(Edith) #219

I’m 52 and in the throws of perimenopause. I lost a ton of hair about three months into keto. I’ve now been eating this way for about 15 months and my hair does not seem to have recovered. In fact, I am currently going through another shedding incident.

The first time, I do believe it was related to the diet change. This time around I don’t know. It could be my hormones or genetic. My paternal grandmother had VERY thin hair. I can’t wait to get fully to menopause. This perimenopause has been really annoying! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

(Julie ) #220

Hello VirginiaEdie,

Understand well, cannot wait to get a cross that bridge. My Mom has a full head of hair as did my grandmother. So not sure. Hair dresser hinted may need to change style since I have a little longer then shoulder length. Thank you for the comments as I have been wondering on this for about a month since last hair apt. Love the way I feel, on Keto.

(Tahirih Price Lang) #221

I was blessed to turn 50 this year and I love it!!! Hoping to live a healthy active and long life!!