Keto women over 50

(Beth) #242

Hi SHaron - cut out the fasting and eat when you are hungry. High fiber foods, good fat. DOn’t worry about calories or losing weight - just eat the food you need to in order to be a healthy Keto-er.

If you like to cook, try thiis Keto bread: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread/servings/8

Its awesome - hang in there!

Xxbeth

(Mewsmom) #243

Ahhh thanks!

(Sharon S ) #244

Ann, your comments about stairs spoke to my heart! I am now down about 15 lbs…keeps hovering. …and the stairs will bring me to tears. I have arthritis in my knees and stairs are quite a hurdle… but one must go to bed…anyway, your remarks have given me hope so thank you for sharing that info💛

Greetings All!
Hope to join this group. Age 69, been on Keto since 7/20, lost 12 pounds (have 20
feel much better since on Keto. I also use the “Calm” site for meditation and have found it
goes hand in hand with Keto. No major complaints except starting to deal with
osteoarthritis in both knees, more left than right. MD wants to put me on
Ibuprofen (after checking kidney blood work), already take Tylenol 3x a day.
I do love walking my dog, and still use stationary bike, but find when flareups
arise getting off weight bearing is a real pain. This last episode was in the
recliner, ice and for 4 days except bathroom breaks, dog breaks and feeding times.
Any recommendations? Thanks for listening.

(Jane ) #246

I had lost some hair as well…even with an impossibly thick head of hair, And all of a sudden I could see my scalp! WTH? But I also noted in the past several weeks my scalp has been UNBELIEVABLY itchy. And when I look in the mirror now my hair is thicker again! Just added in a ton of veggies etc, so maybe my thyroid is finally happy.

(Jane ) #247

I would first think high dose fish oil, then adding in tumeric ( I Love Thornes Meriva for this). Also Berberine for its anti inflammmotory effects ad finally CBD oil or CBD Tincture. Depends on your state. And then also Fasting. All are anti inflammatory in nature.

Thanks GypsyPT, this is about 6 months in the making. The doc said if we
can intervene early we are looking at surgery about 10 years from now - yuk,
think Keto and the right supplements can belay that totally. Will take your
advice and see about getting the tumeric, not ever heard of berberine but
will look for it and the CBD oil. Thanks again. Ibuprofen is not my forte’, and hope
to terminate the Tylenol and go a-la-natural. Fingers crossed!

(Edith) #249

I am allergic to dairy. My scalp gets unbearably itchy when I accidentally eat dairy.

Pre-keto, I was seriously wondering if I needed to get a cane and also if I needed a knee replacement. One of the first things I noticed was that my joint and soft tissue pain started to subside. I no longer have the horrible clicking in my left knee and the terrible stabbing pain. Granted, at this point I’m close to 30# lost, which I’m sure helps immensely. But just in the past few days at work, I find that I can comfortably take the stairs, both up & down, between floors (1-2 floors max), but I can also now run down the stairs to catch my BART train that is pulling in to the station. Couldn’t even dream of doing that 10 weeks ago. So hopefully you will notice that your achy knees are less achy! Best of luck with your keto journey!

(Sharon S ) #251

Thank you Ann! That’s wonderful!
I went to the ortho doc last week and he said I am bone on bone so I did receive a cortisone shot…I could hardly walk…it has helped a great deal and I will be going back for gel shots. I hope they do the trick. At least they are not drugs.

(Blessed with butter ) #252

I am 53 started Keto on Aug 11 2018

(Blessed with butter ) #253

This is totally me too! except the insulin resistance. High BP I have been on the keto life since August 11 18 and went from 152/102 to 132/82 what a change not feeling like taking a nap more active, even if it is housework, I just got in to this group today and I can’t wait to read more!

(Blessed with butter ) #254

Mee too I want to get to that 200 mark!

(cheryl) #255

WELCOME Judy !!

(Susan) #256

Well I survived my Paris trip, although my leg muscles went on strike when I got home - every place we wanted to visit seemed to involve hundreds of steps inside and out. I was amazed to find I managed to lose 1 lb after eating half a pizza, one or two mini croissants, four glasses of wine over the few days and a tarte tartin at the airport coming home.

Since arriving home I have, however, gained an extra 11lbs in the shape of a new cavalier puppy :dog:! If he ever stops chewing my shoes and trainers, I should be having lots more walkies from now on :dog2: :walking_woman:

(Blessed with butter ) #257

Thank you😊

(Wendy) #258

How fun! So neat about the new puppy!

I lost 10# when I went to Italy about 10 years ago. I ate 3 delicious meals a day for 12 days (ok, a couple lunches were mediocre cuz my sis took us to tourist traps), but we walked everywhere every day! Fantastic!!!
My pants were falling off me by the time we left, and I didn’t want to leave! I wanted to stay so badly; found a 1 bed apt furnished in central Roma for 800€! Should have called that number! I found out later that my company had a large office there and there was a strong possibility that if I had asked, I could have worked there. SIGH!!!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Now I need to KCKO so I can get to the weight that I was then. :grinning:

(Sharon S ) #260

Ahhh, Italy. Wonderful coffee, wonderful food and gorgeous scenery. Yes! Lots of walking, but truly the best way to really see things. We went years and years ago…long before keto.

(Sharon S ) #261

Welcome, Judy. Hope you learn from these conversations as I have. I am having my first labs this week since starting keto in July 2018. I pray I am not disappointed.