Keto women over 50

(Lori) #182

Hello Laurie- I am another Lori! Nice to “meet” you. I am 50 and a Single Parent in the Tampa area here in the Sunshine state of Florida. I have been doing KETO since May 26th 2018 and am down 22.5 lbs. I am a 14 year Gastric Bypass Roux n-y veteran that learned how to out eat my revised tiny stomach. I would love to answer any questions you may have and love the idea of us being the “half a century club” I know that KETO is my new WOE for the rest of my foreseeable future as I don’t have any carb cravings, quit snacking, crazy energy and less sleep. I tell the people I work with at times that I can see through walls like Superman! Please count me in on this new group! All my best to all of you lovely ladies out there!! Lori

(Sharon S ) #183

Where is everyone? I am disappointed there are so few posts to this forum. I was so excited when I found it because I was so tired of trying to live up to the younger ketoers who are working out at intensive levels when it pains me greatly to walk my dog for 30 minutes! I am 68 yrs old, struggling a little since weight loss has been slow and feeling sorry for myself because I would really like to cheat and have some crackers! Well, that’s my vent. If anyone is listening…thank you.

(Linda) #184

Hi. I just turned 69 and have dropped more than 50 pounds in the past two and a half years. I’m just sitting now while still doing keto, but have dropped my A1c to 5.5, halved my beta blocker meds for blood pressure and tachycardia, and these things keep me on keto. I’d love to lose another 30 or 40 pounds, but my body is not cooperating on that. If I stay where I’m at, I can live with that. I’ve got some before and after photos here that I can look at when I’m longing for carbs. I break keto on Thanksgiving, Christmas and my birthday. Other than that, I stay honest. I don’t want to go back to getting winded walking to the mailbox. :slight_smile:

(Sharon S ) #185

Thank you, Linda for your encouragement. I don’t want to go back to just being able to walk for 10 and be tired either. I am trying to lower my a1c also. Will go in Sept for a couple of labs. I’m glad there are a few of you out there.

(back and doublin' down) #186

You’re welcome ~ and I find myself craving milk sometimes. I tell myself if I still want it tomorrow, I’ll have it. Today I ate two corn tortillas with some delicious chili rellleno pie.

I’m enjoying the more relaxed version of keto. I’m not weighing or tracking anymore, just eating what I know is low carb and staying mostly carnivore. The weight loss has slowed yet remained steady, so I know this is something I can do forever.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #187

I am at maintenance - so have added carbs back. Milk is my favorite thing on the planet. So one day a glass of milk, the next tortillas, the next berries. I have one treat a day and am still in ketosis. I agree with you, this way we can do it for life. Mindfulness is the key.

(Sharon S ) #188

Very happy to see some new comments. I too find keto is the best way to go for me. I love the food we can eat. I really miss biscults and am going to try a keto version tomorrow.

(Bacon for the Win) #189

Late to the party, just found you folks. Lots of interesting stories. Mine is similar. 55 f, right now struggling to get my sh*t together. Lost my father last Thanksgiving and it’s been a struggle ever since. Had surgery this past March and found out I was severly anemic post-op. I still have part of an incision that has not healed. I’ve had 6 iron infusions and 3 B12 injections. I had gastric bypass 15 yrs ago which is why I have absorption issues. Had I known then what I know now about nutrition I never would have done it.

I was well on my way to putting it all back on when I went low carb then keto. Still can’t quite reach my goal weigt or BF %. It is getting easier with every compliant day I put behind me, but junk food still talks to me. Every day can be a challenge. Just rececntly started feeling well enough to even think about walking the dogs. Just getting out the door to go to work is enough most days. Anhow, enough whining from me. Nice to meet ya.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #190

I was thin until menopause - then, BOOM!! The BELLY. The rest of me remained fairly normal, but I did not want to go on hormones. Keto is slowly reducing the belly. As I mentioned on my accountability log, (and here) my weight is where I want it to be, but I have been having one indulgence per day, and I am still in ketosis, according to the blood monitor. However, I am curious. I am starting week 18, and just started monitoring my blood ketone levels within the last week. The first 16 weeks I was strict under 20 grams of carb keto. I am going to go back to that to see what my ketone levels are. Apparently, keto attacks belly fat, but I am not sure at what range. They say the ideal range is 1.5 to 3.0. I was 1.4 a few days ago, but now down to .8. I love experimentation.

(Susan) #191

Hi there, I’m 55 and have been doing keto since 8 May and ZC (mostly!) for last 9 weeks. I haven’t really posted on this thread as my progress is at a snail’s pace. I didn’t take any measurements for the first month, but I’ve lost 11 pounds in the last 10 weeks. I have lost inches and dropped dress sizes but that has stalled for the last 3 weeks, so I’m not sure which part of me is losing the weight. I too am post-menopause and sick of my squishy belly. It has gone down though - I look 5 months pregnant instead of 9!

(Sharon S ) #192

Awww! Those sweet nsv!

(cheryl) #193

11 pounds is great – i think it took me many months to lose 11, but i feel like menopause is a special weight loss circumstance and i am trying not to get impatient … i just add on activities as i feel able , walking, running and i want to start back packing when the weather turns cool … i think my metabolism is just at such a low level that it will be years instead of months to repair it – i am 57 T2D as well as menapausal :neutral_face:

(Susan) #194

I’m really trying not to get impatient, too. I might get my exercise bike out of the garage and see if that makes a difference.

(cheryl) #195

patience seems to be hard for me so keeping active and out of the house keeps me from being bad and snacking

(Julie ) #196

Hello Sharon,

I don’t post a lot, but I do read the posts. I am 53 and start Keto in January of this year and still loving it.

(Sharon S ) #197

Hi Julie! Thx for the post. I am struggling right now. For the last 2 weeks I was doing great with intermittent fasting and now it’s like I’m hungry all the time. I am having sufficient fats, probably too much. I don’t think I can lose weight with the amts of fat it ssounds like people eat. I’m flummoxed!..?

I’m 59, T2DM with HTN, and started keto 8 weeks ago. So far, I have reduced and stabilized my BS & BP, to the point where I have cut the doses of 2 meds in half, and eliminated 1 of my BP meds. I have also lost 23+ lbs, and have a lot more energy than I did pre-keto. I see keto as a lifetime change for me and not a diet. Ultimately, I would like to lose another 60-70 lbs and be completely off all of my DM & HTN meds.

(Sharon S ) #199

Fantastic! I would love to get off my meds or at least lower the dosage! Congrats!

Thanks, @Sharon_S! While the weight loss is nice, and fitting into smaller clothes is nice, getting my BS from over 220 down to 90s and low 100s consistently is REALLY, REALLY great! And my BP reducing to the point where I could drop 1 of my meds, is really great too. I hope within the next 8 weeks I will completely be done with my insulin (Lantus) while dropping some more weight. :smiley:

(Sharon S ) #201

Thx for reminding me why I changed my eating habits. It was to lose weight. but I wanted to bring down my glucose numbers. They were slightly elevated but it was still a warning. I am due to go for some labs soon so am praying the numbers are way down.