Keto women over 50

(J) #161

Hi- I’m not over 50 (44) but going through surgical menopause in a week and have enjoyed reading your posts. I hope I am welcome here so that I can learn how to keto on during this transitional time with you ladies.

I’ve been ketoing for only 3 months, but feel so much better than I ever did prior! My reactive hypoglycemia (why I started) has completely gone, and my IBS has been in remission. I’m so amazed. I also happen to be a mom of a toddler (late-life baby!) and step-mom to a teen, so the extra energy is a great boon as well.

I will keep on reading. :slight_smile:

(Leslie) #162

I realize that you posted on this thread months ago but I am curious as to whether or not you were ever told or ever realized that 1000 calories is too restrictive to lose weight.
I don’t want to sound rude. After all, it’s really none of my business. You can tell be to bug off if I’m over the line

I just want to help. I’m frequently not PC

(Leslie) #163

I suppose since I felt compelled to reply to a post, I should take the time to formally join the group.

Hi, I’m Leslie

I’m 52 in August and keto since December 2017. I’ve lost 35 pounds to reach a very comfortable and very healthy 120, at five feet two inches tall, I’m pleased

I’m menopausal but am still having surprise cycles, yay!
I think the most noticeable changes for me include my libido(happy hubby), overall energy, ability to focus, improved memory and ability to learn/retain new things, increased sleep quality and an overwhelming feeling of satisfaction and calmness with my life

I’m currently suffering with a knee injury that has limited my activity to sitting with an ice pack 18 hours a day and I’m still extactic!
It’s actually amazing because the injury is serious but the inflammation is minimal

I like to eat eggs, avocado, butter, salmon, roasted salted sea weed, pickles, cheeses of all varieties, coconut butter, mayonnaise that I make from scratch, matcha and spirulina. I take vitamin D3, salt everything in pink Himalayan and take magnesium everyday. I like my water with lemon and ACV. I eat in a four hour window everyday and don’t do any extended fasts. I love cauliflower rice and twice baked cauli-mash, :yum: mushrooms don’t sit in the fridge and neither does broccoli or asparagus

I go to the movies and eat popcorn. Not often but I do
I occasionally have a bagel with my own, homemade avocado cream cheese shmear
These are not cheats. These are things I love and treat myself to once in a while :two_hearts: we must love ourselves first!

I absolutely love this WOE
I will be keto for the rest of my life, or the rest of this system of things, which ever comes first
I don’t care if I don’t weigh what I did at 23
I’m happy, healthy and satisfied with my life and my health

I used to work as an RN and have seen some scary stuff as the result of diabetes. If there is anything I can do to help anyone avoid those tragedies, I’m all in
Love all y’all

Keep calm and keto on keto lovelies

(Leslie) #164

Welcome!
The very first thing I want to ask you is probably the most personal so feel free to not share if you’re not comfortable
Here it is. Why are you have the hysterectomy?
If you have already seen improvement in chronic problems and you’ve only been keto for a few months, I wonder if the need for this highly invasive and irreversible procedure might be premature

It’s none of my business

I hope you find the support and courage to continue in this WOE on this forum
There are a lot of really amazing people here. There are a lot of really amazing women here!

I don’t know much about a lot but I do know that after being associated with this forum for almost a year, there is virtually nothing that cannot be significantly improved, if not healed, by keto

This is just my opinion. I’m not a doctor and don’t play one on TV. I would just hate for you to lose your uterus and possibly ovaries if you don’t need to
I used to be an RN and witnessed a lot of suffering from hysterectomies. Doctors may have our best interests in mind but don’t always make the best decisions for our health. Again, just my opinion

I hope you will keep coming back to the forum for help and support

Keep calm and keto on keto lovelies

(Leslie) #165

This is a common misconception
There’s a ton of published material out there explain why calories are really not the issue. In fact, when we eat a LCHF diet, calories need to be a lot higher than what we have experienced in the past and limiting them will cause us to retain fat and ‘stall’. Did you know that eating more fat and more fat calories will cause a person’s metabolism to ramp up and burn more? Watch some of the presentations by Dr Fung. He’s very savvy when it comes to the real science behind the calorie

I hope you find this helpful
Keep calm and keto on

(Leslie) #166

Hi Jenn,
Welcome to the forum
I’m sorry that you haven’t been receiving a ton of feedback. Here’s my two cents.

Whoa
Take a deep breath and let’s talk about the process
A few days in is way too soon to be trying to fast without issues
This is a journey
Take your time
Those who eat a ton of meat did not start their journey by one day quitting carbs and the next day eating carnivore
There is a transition
Start by balancing
Restrict your carbs to less than 20g. Eat protein scaled to your lean body mass and then eat fat, fat, fat to satiety
Eat when you are hungry. Stop eating when you are full
Do this for a significant period of time, like six weeks or so until you become fat adapted. Fat adapted is different from being in nutritional ketosis
Then try the fasting experiment

Ok, all of this is just the general guidelines and may not be perfect for you
What do I know anyway?

Here’s the thing…when we are trying to undo years of deranged metabolism and the damage done as a result, it takes time, investment and energy. This WOE is not a quick fix, it is a long term commitment
Take your time and make your time count

If you would really like specific advice, come back here and ask

I hope you find this helpful
Keep calm and keto on

(J) #168

Hi there! Thank you for your thoughtful response. I am keeping my uterus but having my ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed for ovarian cancer prevention. (Crazy family history of ovarian and breast cancer + >99% ashkenazi genetics.) I’m a CNM/NP too, so I have given this years of thought. My surgery is also being done by a gyn-oncologist I trust.

I am hoping that Keto will continue to help heal my body (and mind) as I go through this transition. Thank you for welcoming me! :blush:

(back and doublin' down) #169

Loving the discussion and have been lurking for awhile.

I’m 54, ‘professional’ yoyo dieter. Did have HRT after my full hysterectomy 9 years ago, but HRT got expensive so I slipped into full menopause. Not sure why, but did not experience the menopause symptoms so often reported. Desperately hopeful keto is my last ‘yo.’ My successful run with Atkins about 15 years ago and chemically induced fat burning/ketosis on hCG had already proved to me that my system is a great fat burner. I started keto the beginning of April 2018, and jumped almost immediately into IF. Intrigued by the euphoria described in fasting threads, I started EFs in May starting with 24 hr fasts that turned into 36. Have now completed two 4+ day fasts. My diet has shifted to primarily carnivore.

Pre-vacation, I had lost 36 lbs (in about 12 weeks). Did some shopping on vacation and have dropped from size 22 jeans to size 18. Also down in bra size, which was a bit of a bummer. Did a lazy keto while on vacation and as of yesterday was back to measuring and weighing and tracking all my food. Buckling down and preparing for another EF to continue the downward trend. I estimate at least 60 more pounds to lose, maybe 70. Both of my aunts (who I resemble in every way) died of adult onset T2D. I’m determined not to be a part of that trend.

(Dianna) #170

Thank you! A beautifully clear explanation. I guess I need to figure out some acceptable fats as meals and a bit of protein and focus on those.

(Jennifer) #171

Thank you Leslie. I appreciate the encouragement and the advice. Ive decided to just worry about carbs right now. Ive upped my fat, but I know I am eating too much protein. I just hope I don’t gain. Thank you again for your help.

(Jennifer) #172

Leslie you are very inspirational. Thank you

(Sharon S ) #173

I am just shy of 2 months on keto. Slow start, or so I thought, I have finally hit the 10# mark. Hallelujah! I love this WOE and I feel so much better. Started keto as I was pre-diabetic and want to stop that trend upward. I am 68 yrs old and trying to reverse 15 years of sugar/carbs.

(cheryl) #174

Be jubilant. You are doing great. I am 57, T2D, now 237 pounds and have been eating low carb since February 2018. My next goal is to reach 200lbs. But my HbA1c came down to 5.7 in May from 10.8 last August 2017.

(Sharon S ) #175

Great job Cheryl! Congrats on the A1C!

(Sharon S ) #176

I haven’t seen many posts to this site recently. …is anyone there?

Yup. Whenever it pops up lol. I’m “almost” to maintenance, down to 128 pounds from a high of 171. Starting to consider adding back a few things, like blueberries to my full fat yogurt–actually, I just started adding back yogurt a few weeks ago. Bacon is not appealing to me as much for breakfast, for some reason.

(back and doublin' down) #178

breakfast is not appealing to me anymore. Except for BPC and I make that on work days. But I was making BPC for years before keto because of the Zing it gives my brain ~ seems that fat helps the caffeine into the blood stream or something.

Always check on this thread ~ something here always applies to what I’m going through myself.

I’ve had several ask me recently if all this meat and fat is hard on me because I don’t have a gall bladder. To be honest, I’m not sure. For awhile, I noticed food continued to digest slowly (I think I have a slow emptying stomach) and was trying some prebiotics and ox bile. But, didn’t see much difference. About three weeks ago, I added “Calm” for magnesium twice a day and Youzhau! My digestive system has kicked in and I feel better than ever.

(Sharon S ) #179

I had colon surgery in 2014 and eversense I have had bathroom issues. I take magnesium citrate -I read it was better absorbed and stool softener daily but still not working the way I would like. I try to drino a lot a water and I walk daily. Anyone have any options to offer?

I don’t have a gallbladder either–pretty common in those of us who were the stereotypical “fat, fat and forty” gallbladder sufferers! I never even really think about it in relation to fat intake, so I guess it doesn’t bother me. My sister, on the other hand, who has never been fat but nonetheless has type 2 diabetes, has lots of post-chole gastro issues, while eating a typical SAD diet.

Life is funny.

(Irene ) #181

Hi! I’m 56 diabetic…been on my journey to reverse for 5 years! Started calorie counting, evolved into low-no prosessed foods, evolved to organic to see my numbers drop me to pre diabetic…recently went into full blown menopause and saw my weight and blood sugars soar!!! Researched keto and thought this is my last resort to get a handle on my numbers. Been keto for about 6 weeks and my numbers are in control and consistent…in fact I rarely have to check them because they are always @ 78! I love the fact that there is this thread because we “women over 50” encounter all sorts of changes I believe may have a lot to do with our hormones and would love to gleen wisdom from all of you out there!