Keto since January 5, looking for advice for tweaking things

(Mandy) #1

January 5 was my start date for Keto and I lost 8-10 lbs that first few weeks. Nothing since. But I feel like my body is changing so I don’t want to complain too much. I did take some body measurements (waist, hips, etc…) when I first began to have something to compare to later. I haven’t measure since because I’m slightly afraid of the changes being so minimal. I track my macros daily pretty consistently and I average 65-70% fat, 20-25% protein and around 10%carbs (that’s what fitness pal says, which is actually high because it doesn’t subtract fiber for net carbs)) but I do eat less than 20 net carbs per day, usually with 1300 calories. Sometimes more or less depending on my hunger levels. I’ve started intermittent fasting from dinner to lunch on most days to try to amp things up. Some days my energy levels are fine, and others I feel like I can barely function. I’m thinking about getting a ketone monitor to help me see if I’m actually getting into Ketosis. Does anyone have any input? Any help would be appreciated.

(Jay AM) #2

Can you provide us your stats like exercise, height, weight, age, health problems and medications? And also your average daily macros in grams and electrolyte intake. So far all I see are signs of low calories or electrolyte imbalance or both.

(Mandy) #3

I’m 5’6” and 155.
My daily goals are 1397 calories, broken down into 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% fat, which is roughly 116 g fat, 70 G protein, and less than 20 net carbs per day. I came by those goal numbers by using a Keto calculator when I first began.
I used to be an avid exerciser (cardio, HIIt, and weights) but herniated some discs several years ago and have since tamed my workouts way down. Since doing Keto, I haven’t had energy to exercise until recently and now I just do hard yard work or light cardio.
Pretty much healthy as a horse, but was diagnosed with poly-cystic ovarian syndrome in my teens, which we’ve successfully treated with low dose birth control all of my life. I’m 42. I know that can be an indicator of pre-diabetes but I’ve not had any issues with my blood sugar that I’m aware of. Before Keto, I had to eat every 2-4 hours or I’d get super cranky, but now that my body has adapted, I can go a long time without eating and not get cranky. I just feel lethargic at times.

(Mandy) #4

I’ve been trying electrolyte drinks (propel…but without maltodextrin) and I’ve just ordered Dr. Berg’s electrolyte drink. I tried it last week and did seem a little perkier that day.
I’ve also been having issues getting super dizzy when I stand up from a squating position. Not sure what that’s about.

Getting lightheaded every time you stand up is from low blood pressure.

(Mandy) #6

I wasn’t sure if it was that or if my big thighs cut off my circulation when I squat! :joy: My blood pressure is normally 118/68. Sometimes that top number is even a few points lower. That’s what it was last week when I had my health screening, too. Can low blood pressure be related to the diet? Maybe that’s where my lethargy is coming from. I’m thinking the lethargy is more related to fasting. I usually feel pretty lethargic during the later hours of my fast, just before lunch.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

Calories are too low. That’s less than get at 5’2” 134 pounds. You’re slowing your matabolism with too few calories. You should be north of 1700.

(Mandy) #8

Really? How do you come up with that calorie number? I’m just trying to learn here…not question the veterans. That just seems like a lot to me, but I’m sure that’s because I’ve lost weight in the past due to calorie restriction and I’m just not used to being able to “eat”…especially fat. Even though I’ve been doing this since January, those old stigmas are hard to get rid of, ya know? I guess I’m still scared of gaining weight by upping my cals.

I don’t know where low blood pressure comes from (I can tell you though that I used to have it even when I wasn’t dieting). But I have heard that people with low blood pressure need more salt…just hearsay so you might want to do more research.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #10

I’m not a veteran. Just a newbie that learned the hard way.
If you do a macro calculator, set to maintain, not deficit.
We have to get the idea of CICO out of our minds. That’s not how Keto works.
I’m just guessing on your numbers because my maintain is around 1600 and 1400 is a definate deficit for me. Sense you are taller and thus weigh more, it would take a greater # of calories to maintain.
Don’t let the word maintain scare you. Again, that’s not how Keto works, but just about every macro calculator uses the CICO approach.

I know it’s scary, but up your calories through fat for a week or two and see what happens.

(Mandy) #11

I have had the dizziness issues before doing Keto, but they come and go. I think you are right in that my electrolytes are off. I’ve just been reading some other threads about it and I’m having the foot cramps and a few muscle cramps, and I’ve never had that before. May be where the lethargy comes in to play. Was out in the heat yesterday for a ball tournament and just drank lemon water, no electrolytes, and I was pretty spent.

(Jay AM) #12

So, skip the commercial electrolyte drinks as they don’t have nearly enough electrolytes for us on keto. And, I agree about your calories being too low also. Try upping with additional fat.

(Mandy) #13

So I just did another keto calculator with no deficit, and depending on which activity level I picked, maintenance ranged from 1500-1678 cal/day. It’s a little scary to up my cals, but I guess I need to do that to fix my metabolism. I’ll give it a try. It will be interesting to see how my body responds.
I’m also going to try to get my electrolytes/potassium levels where they need to be.

(Mandy) #14

@J_A-M thanks for the link to ketoaid. I’m sure it will be less expensive than the powder I just bought! Just curious, can i mix in flavors to mask the flavor in case I don’t care for the taste? Mio has some great flavors with no maltodextrine.

(Candy Lind) #15

Why pay for electrolyte drinks? You can make your own WAY cheaper. Search “keto aide” or “keto-aid” or “keto ade” in the forums, there are several easy and cheap recipes. Propel doesn’t have enough of any nutrients to really do you any good on keto. Dr Berg’s may, but it’s just too cheap and easy to make.

@climbergirl is absolutely correct, that’s low blood pressure.

1. If you are on meds, ask your doc to reduce your dose or let you discontinue it.
  2. Ingest more salt. Salt will help you retain more water and increase your blood volume, which is probably a lot of your energy and dizziness problems. If I let myself get dehydrated or don’t take enough salt, that’s exactly what happens to me.

You should be aiming for around 4 grams of salt per day. Some need a little less, some need more. Those who do heavy exercise might require 6 grams or more.

I was CONVINCED I couldn’t lose weight if I ate more than 1100 calories when I started this WoE. When I decided to trust the process, I increased my calories by 100-150, and WHOOSH. Scale drop. About a month later, it was sitting still again. I increased again. WHOOSH again. My metabolism has improved to the point that I can eat 1500 calories and not gain. I’m admittedly heavier than you at 228, and I’m VERY sedentary. But I’m betting LeeAnn is right, you should be eating more in order to get past the “insulin barrier” that keeps you holding on to stored fat.

If increased salt doesn’t help, look up “magnesium supplements” in the forum and decide which kind you might want to try. If you don’t have any trouble “going” on this WoE, then supplement carefully if you choose magnesium citrate. It keeps my magnesium up in “no cramps” range, and it keeps my sluggish system regular at the same time.

I would counsel you against potassium supplementation unless you have very specific symptoms related to hypokalemia. Salt controls the storage of potassium in your cells, and it’s easy to build up too much. If you’re eating plenty of green leafies and some avocado, you don’t need it. And Dr Ken Barry has a very good video on why NOT to supplement calcium, no matter what your doctor or nutritionist advises.

(Mandy) #16

I’ve increased my calories today and i can tell I feel better already. I will make my own electrolyte drink from now on.

I don’t take blood pressure meds, so I’ll concentrate on eating more salt/electrolytes.

My system is at times sluggish in the “going” dept, but at times it’s just the opposite! I’ll have to be careful with the magnesium.:flushed:

So do you advise leaving out the lite salt in the keto aid because it has potassium? Or are you talking about supplementing besides that? During the week, I eat an avacado a day, and some days I’ll have leafy veggies, some days not. I know…slap my hand. But I burn out on that stuff easily and try to still eat some without getting sick of them. I do switch it up with other veggies, but not a lot of cruciferous ones. Just haven’t found a way I love them.

(Candy Lind) #17

That’s more than enough. You can use lite salt or regular salt in the keto aide with that many avocados in your week. :+1:

(Mandy) #18

@CandyLindTX Thanks! That sounds good.

One more question…what about ordering a keto monitor? I can see where I would really like checking my levels. Anyone have a favorite meter?

(Jay AM) #19

You can use water flavors sure. I put my own recipe in that same thread. I use a pack of koolaid powder (only orange or lemonade because the others personally taste awful to me with this mix), 30-40 drops stevia, my lite salt dose, 1 tsp of pink salt (this is just what I have on hand), shake it all up with 1-1.5 L of water and good to go.

(Candy Lind) #20

I’m not the one to ask! LOL! I have had a Keto Mojo for 6 weeks & haven’t unboxed it yet. :blush:

I use “TrueLemon” or “TrueLime” (the crystallized fruit packets, NOT the lemonade drinks) in mine, just 1/2 pack in 700ml to partly cover the salt.