Keto Salad Dressing recommendation?

(Sanjida Tamanna) #1

Is there any specific salad dressings that are better for Keto?

(Polly) #2

Extra virgin olive oil, or bacon grease are good.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Avoid commercial dressings made with industrial seed oils (soybean, safflower, cottonseed, corn, canola, sunflower, etc.). Stick with dressings made from fruit oils (avocado, coconut, and olive). The reason is that too much polyunsaturated fatty acid is damaging to the body, and the fruit oils have a much lower percentage of PUFA.

Making your own mayonnaise and vinaigrette are the best ways to ensure that your salad dressings are healthful.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Skip the salad. Problem solved. Otherwise, MCT oil used sparingly. Add some feta chunked or crumbled.

(Laurie) #5

I agree about skipping the salad, but if you must …

Make sure you read the label. Most commercial “olive oil salad dressing” contains seed oil (e.g., canola) as well as olive oil. Better to make your own.

For me, the perfect ratio for salad dressing that didn’t taste too vinegary was as follows:
4 parts oil (e.g., olive oil)
1 part vinegar
1 part water
Add Italian or other seasoning to taste.

I typically use a spicy mustard with either mayo or horseradish sauce and then some additional spices (mostly smoked paprika). This copycat Big Mac sauce just takes it a step further.

For store-bought dressings, I either go with a creamy Caesar or a zesty Italian dressing.

(Jennibc) #7

I make all of my own using either extra virgin olive oil where the recipe calls for oil or Primal kitchen avocado based mayo when the recipe calls for mayo. I find recipes on line and just substitute accordingly. I leave any sugar out and sub dill pickle relish for sweet pickle relish in things like 1000 island. So far it’s worked great!

(Virginia) #8

I love Primal Kitchen balsamic vinaigrette dressing! Or otherwise I make my own with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and spices.

(Roberta Worley) #9

I just remembered that I have Meyer lemon infused olive oil in my pantry. So I put some of that on my salad as well as Trader Joe’s white Modena vinegar along with some freshly ground Brazilian sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper. It was the nom noms!

I use the sugar free G Hughes BBQ sauces, marinades, and the sweet chili dipping sauce. They just recently added a line of sugar free salad dressings, although I haven’t tried one yet:

I like vinegar with salt and pepper. Butter is also good.

(Jane) #12

I make my own ranch but it is a lot of work since a) I make my own mayo out of olive oil b) I culture my own buttermilk and c) mix up my own ranch seasoning mix to avoid the anti-caking maltodextrose in commercial ranch seasoning packets.

(Jane) #13

Commercial dressings suck. I picked up one that said “olive oil” on it and it was like the third ingredient behind canola and soybean oil.

Pretty much all the “normal” non low fat ones are fine. If you’re not going to nitpick every ingredient it’s pretty much that easy.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #15

My curmudgeon’s worth:

Why do you need salad dressing to make something palatable?

If you have to put ketchup on your steak, you probably shouldn’t be eating steak …

The bitterness of a lot of salad ingredients is a clue; they’re toxic…

P.S.
If you like salad dressing, eat it in a bowl, with a spoon.

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

Lots of good recipes and ideas in this thread: Salad dressings, what's your go to?

(Cathy) #17

I only buy Rene’s Caesar salad dressing because I have not been able to duplicate it. Otherwise I make, balsamic vinaigrette, Italian, Greek, and ranch. All are super easy and delicious and made with my choice ingredients. No special skills needed and only equipment is a jar with a good fitting lid.

(Amy) #18

@Janie would you mind sharing your ranch spice mix?

Warm bacon dressing for spinach salad is wonderful. I replace the sugar with lakanto pure monk fruit extract powder.

Care to share your ranch spice mix please? I’m always looking to try something new that way.