Salad dressings, what's your go to?

(Ellen) #1

Yeah it’s Winter for some of us, but I still have salads in the cold months, what’s your go to recipe? Mine’s below (do like mine quite sharp so plenty of acid) but happy to try yours :grin:

6 tbsp evoo
5 tbsp vinegar (usually sherry or AC)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp dijon
1 or 2 grated garlic cloves
Handful of crushed chilli flakes / chopped fresh chilli

Mine seems pretty similar but I dont measure anything. Fill up 1/3 of a mason jar with EVOO, do the same with ACV, a generous squirt of dijon mustard, squirt of liquid stevia, crush 2-3 garlic cloves, grind pepper on top until my wrist hurts. Cap, shake, pour, yummmm.

Keto Salad Dressing recommendation?
(Bob M) #3

I like this:

Although I add more vinegar (up to 6 total tablespoons), usually a mixture of ACV and red wine vinegar, and add a few anchovies to it. I use store-bought Italian seasoning and EVOO. I use a stick blender to mix everything.

Otherwise, I use EVOO and vinegar (usually a mixture of ACV and red wine).

(Deborah ) #4

Mine is very simple. I make it up individually for each salad (I take a salad to work most days for lunch). I use a very small container, add the amount of olive oil I think I’ll need for the size of the salad, add a few sprinkles of red wine vinegar (or sometimes ACV), and a few shakes of dried Italian seasoning. (Sorry for the lack of measurements, but I just eyeball it.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Crumbled blue cheese, add oil, vinegar, and spices to taste.

(Ellen) #6

Ooh never thought about adding anchovies, that’s now on my to try list.

(Ellen) #7

Not tried red wine vinegar in dressing, will add to list. I suck at eyeballing liquids, would end up with either not enough or weeks worth.

(Ellen) #8

Hmm, love blue cheese but never thought of using in a dressing, would think goes well with beef, bacon or chicken? Any kind of blue cheese? I’d struggle not to just eat a good stilton!

(Ellen) #9

D’oh! Why have I never thought of grinding pepper into it???

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Oooohhh, Stilton! Yum! Hard to find near me, so I tend to forget about it.

(Ellen) #12

Both sound tasty Scarlet :grinning:

(Ellen) #13

Am sorry for your loss!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Years ago, when my ex and I were still together, as a Christmas treat, we’d by a whole Stilton, carve a little well in the top and pour port into it. What a great combination! Alas, both my ex and my drinking days were long ago . . . :bacon:

I like my homemade ranch seasoning mix added to my homemade Avocado Mayo + Cream + Sour Cream + Buttermilk,

I also make a Vinaigrette with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and either Apple Cider Vinegar or Balsamic. A wide variety of spices is at the ready, but Italian Seasoning, Mustard Powder, Garlic Powder, Pink Himalayan Salt and Pepper seem to always make it in the mix.

Then, I almost always add a generous squirt of Spicy Brown Mustard to my salad.

Sounds complicated to add all 3 to each and every salad, but once made, it takes very little time.

I lost 140 pounds (in 11 months) by eating a HUGE salad each day for my first meal, then some Protein + Fat about 4 hours later.

The last 25 pounds took longer, and my goal weight has mostly been managed by more of a fast-feast-fast-feast approach. Maintenance has been hard, but salads still have a place in my WOE.

(Ellen) #16

I’ve seen things on interwebs about cheese “cups” for port etc but would rather have them separately, although am working on reducing/eliminating booze so maybe just cheese in the future.

(Ellen) #17

What’s your ranch seasoning? Don’t think I’ve ever tried ranch dressing. Definitely never tried buttermilk in anything. What kind of brown mustard? In the UK that usually means French mustard which isn’t spicy at all (pretty bland actually).

Whole30 Homemade Ranch Mix

Author Kimber

Yield 1 /2 pint
Ingredients

2 tsp salt
4 tbsp parsley
3 tsp dill weed
2 tsp dried chives
4 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp onion powder
4 tsp dried onion flakes
2 tsp black pepper

Instructions

Mix all ingredients together and store in a 1/2 pint mason jar or other 

air tight container.

Notes

2 tbsp = 1 package of premade Ranch Seasoning (4 Seasons Buttermilk Ranch is common in our part of the USA

I also add to this 2 tsp of Dried Basil.

The wet ingredients include my Homemade Mayo (1 cup), 1/2 cup Sour Cream, 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, and not always, but often–1/3 cup of Buttermilk.

About 2 Tablespoons of the seasoning makes a pretty tasty Ranch Dressing. In Europe, I’ve no idea what they would call that.

The Spicy Brown Mustard is not much like Dijon. The brand I use is just what we call a generic brand. Store Brand. Kroger is a big player in the Central US Supermarket game and theirs is pretty good.

I just like mustard, and much prefer the grainy, brownish type described above…over just “Yellow Mustard” and it adds nicely to the blend of flavors from Ranch + Vinaigrette I usually go for.

I felt my eye twitching from the acid!

I go more like 1 part acid to 2 parts oil. I tend to smash a garlic clove and let it sit in a jar of dressing to infuse so that it is a little more subtle. I also add mustard, salt and pepper and then my secret ingredient - a splash of water! Sounds odd but I find it mellows everything down a bit. My fave acid is red wine vinegar - I find it less harsh than others - and I usually use a mix of olive oil and walnut oil.

(Ellen) #20

That sounds tasty but also a lot of work, I’ll add to my to try list though :grin:

(Ellen) #21

Yeah I do like acid (not the drug kind!)! Red wine vinegar is now on my to try list, as is walnut oil, never tried adding water though…