Keto meal portions! Kindly answer fast as I'm hungry LOL

Trader Joe’s carries it but not all the time

(Ross) #82

Hey Paul! I didn’t know that! I learned something new today! Thanks!

(Ross) #83

Did a search for Brown Fat and I see it’s activated by exposure to cold. That might help explain why Minnesota (particularly the Twin Cities area) has historically been less obese than other metro areas in the Midwest. Also why Colorado is the leanest state out West (even more so than California!)

Finally, the easiest way to get brown fat warmed up and going is to expose people to low temperatures,

The popular laymen theory was that the extensive park system in MSP promotes more calorie burning winter activities like ice skating, nordic ski, running and walking, etc… Of course we here know that’s BS. Exercise is a fine-tuning mechanism at best for weight management.

From that article, the lower obesity rates could be a secondary effect of winter outdoor activity levels in MN and CO…simply from cold exposure.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #84

Now that’s something I didn’t know. So we’ve both taught each other today. How cool is that?

The body is simply fascinating. One of the things I like about this way of eating is how much stuff I’ve been learning.

(Ross) #85

we make a good team!

Me too. Love the learning! The body really is an amazing system. It knows what to do as long as we don’t feed it toxic crap it would seem!

I may have to try the thermostat trick they mention in the article, Drop my house temp down to 64 F for a few weeks this winter. I’m cheap so I don’t tend to turn on my boiler until late November anyway.

I’ll have to try the N of 1 experiment with that and see how it goes!

I tried that last year. Since this WOE I tend to be cold anyway so it was torture. I got lots of complaints from the non dieters in my family too

(Mark Rhodes) #87

:rofl:I cannot wait for your positive results! The next catagory in the forums will be thermostats & fasting

(Ross) #88

did you notice any positive results?

(Jim Russell) #89

If I recall correctly, altitude also activates brown fat, so Colorado gets a double whammy.

Found the study. https://archive.org/stream/NASA_NTRS_Archive_19740013984/NASA_NTRS_Archive_19740013984_djvu.txt

Sea-level deer mice translocated to high altitude showed an increase in metabolic rate, decrease in colonic temperature, and increase in the brown fat mass

Hard to tell since I was making an effort to lose weight. Before Keto/IF I lost very slowly so I doubt it mattered at all

I went back and looked at my results to answer your question. I lost 22 lbs between March 19 when I started IF and then Keto and May 28 when it finally started getting warmer here, Was a very cold spring and summer in the Northeast US. Since then I have lost about 13 lbs. So maybe the cold helped in some way? I did not go down to 62 or whatever is recommended but my house was definitely deliberately colder than in prior years. There were some nights where I did have to turn up the heat because I was freezing

(Khara) #91

That’s it. I’m moving.

(KCKO, KCFO) #92

I’m not a fan of the fake noodles, I tried them and didn’t like them at all. Not those specific brands but similar. I find a spiralizer and a mandolin to be the best way to get my pasta/noodle desires fixed. I use yellow or zucchini squash. I sub cauliflower for potatoes and rice.

Check out the recipes section of this website for lots of great ideas for replacing the old high carby things with low carb yummy goodness.

There are also a few websites by low carbers with good recipes like Ditchthecarbs. com

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #93

@Ernest are you serious?
So I can eat them freely; like within my macros, or shall I limit it, to like once a week?

@Saphire I will have a good look about this Konjac and Shiritaki noodles and will see if I can manage to find them first and if I do and get stuck with cooking, I will get back to you. And anothe question what’s WOE?

@KBG thank you Khara, yes I’m so glad she actually feels better in such a short period and she is actually obsessed with Keto to the point that she is telling her friends all about it and recommending it to everyone LOL

@Jimbo well I believe you will love it, and I’m sure you will find it, try Amazon and if you get to find the buffalo butter you can just take it and put it in a pot with some salt not to much but equivalent to the amount of butter. Then wait until it melts and lower the heat and keep stirring, some kind of foam will start developing don’t throw that away, but take it out of the butter and keep on a side. And keep stirring until you find little stuff forming at the bottom of the pot; you need to keep stirring until those little stuff turn to a golden color (like the onions color). When it reaches that stage, take those little golden jewels out :joy: and mix them with the old foam you separated earlier and put that in a container. This little things we call them Morta and I personally love adding them to my eggs, you will absolutely love it. As for the melted butter that you melted, it has now become Ghee :slight_smile:
In case you find them anywhere let me cause I have a friend in the US that wanted to buy some.

@Peter I think you have a point, but I was just wondering if I’m allowed to even eat them during Keto, I was a bit concerned that they might kick me out of ketosis.

@marklifestyle so you recommend I buy both? The blood test kit and that other Ketonix?

@ggv I think you are absolutely right, and it makes sense to understand what it is, and not why? I totally agree. I am learning a lot from you

@PaulL oh my God, is that why I’m endlessly feeling hot these day? It actually doesn’t make any sense that I am feeling hot with an AC opened all the time, but I’m sweating like never before!!! Could that be the reason why?
One more question for you and Ross and those who spoke about temperatures cause I feel like a total idiot :see_no_evil: I don’t get what you are all saying about temperatures; but it seems like you both learned something from each other, can you explain it to me??
And what’s that brown fat???

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #94

There are two types of fat cells: white and brown. White fat cells are for storage only; they accept free fatty acids from the bloodstream and bind them into triglycerides, and take triglycerides apart and put the fatty acids back into the bloodstream. This process is highly regulated by the presence or absence of insulin.

Brown fat cells not only store fatty acids, but also metabolize them, producing heat in the process. Hibernating animals have a lot of brown fat, which metabolizes their fat store during estivation. The presence of carbohydrate in their diet, especially glucose (as in ripe berries in autumn), stimulates the growth of brown fat; by springtime, their brown fat stores are depleted, and their metabolism returns to normal.

Human babies are born with deposits of brown fat in certain locations; it provides enough warmth that they don’t need to shiver to stay warm. As they grow, these brown fat deposits turn into white fat, which is why children do shiver.

The key point is that under the proper stimulus, fat cells can change from white to brown, or vice versa. It has been shown in certain studies that under the right circumstances, the human body will change some white fat into brown fat, and the brown fat will metabolize fat simply to use it up, simply wasting the heat produced. That’s what Ross didn’t know. And what I didn’t know was the bit he posted about brown fat’s being activated (or white fat being turned into brown) by exposure to cold.

Why are the two types called “white” and “brown”? It’s simply that the former looks noticeably whiter, and the latter, noticeably browner than the other.

(Ernest) #95

Why limit yourself to one a week?
Keto is easy. Folks tend to make things complicated with calculators, tracking, scales, chasing high ketone readings, constantly needing snacks etc.
Eat when hungry. Eat fatty cuts of meat and fat.
Enjoy your rack of lamb with the fat. I love them.

(Mark Rhodes) #96

I do not recommend anything other than share what I have done. There is not a right way to do this but many wrong ones.
I use a glucose meter and a ketone meter for testing blood. I use my Ketonix for testing breath. What are the differences?

The Ketone meter is expensive and even using a Keto Mojo at .99 cents per test could add up in the beginning to $7-10 a week or more using a different style. The Ketonix is a one time cost. There are some issues with using one over the other. The engineer who developed the Ketonix did so to save his own life and you can find his story here: https://www.ketonix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=156:history-about-ketonix&catid=13:artiklar&Itemid=524&lang=en
So currently when I have doubts regarding a particular meal I will use my ketonix to known with assurance that I am still close to my average. I pay little heed to any actual “score” as I am not aware of any evidence to show that higher readings create any more significant fat loss. When my ketonix readings are far lower than actual I do a blood test. What this has allowed me to do is to test different foods & beverages and see if any reduction of those values is a result.

Consider this. I make keto treats using xylitol. If I have one on any given day, no change. If I eat them daily I get a drop from my average. Therefore keto treats are just that, TREATS, to be enjoyed occasionally.
Yesterday I made a very large stir fry from the garden with paneer cheese and bacon bits. That was 10 hours ago. I drink HWC with my morning coffee. My morning My ketonix reading was 32.4 PPM. kinda mid range for me so I then tested my BS was 90 mmol & ketones were .4. I do tend to be lower here anywhere from .4-1.0 even when I am fasted for three days, which currently I am not. So I can conclude that my stir fry likely did raise my insulin levels a tad more than than I am comfortable with but well within range. It also allows me to look forward to today’s meals. I can continue with HWC, have a gyro platter midday and some lamb for dinner which likely will knock my numbers up a bit tomorrow. If so, no foul, no harm. If NOT and it continues for a couple more days as low I will take the required actions.

One last note, as I go in this way of life I do not test as obsessively. Tomorrow is another day. I am still learning what works today as my metabolic damage is repaired I might be able to re-visit what I cannot do today. However I can only know with apodictic certainty by testing and not relying on a “feeling”. But then again I am an engineer and data drives my decisions.

I hoe this lengthy response helps you to understand what I do and how it helps me. You will need to find your own path based on the experiences shared here. Good Luck!!!

(Ross) #97

Here’s the Scientific American article from the link above. I found it very helpful and supports what Paul just said!

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #98

@PaulL and @ggv
I didn’t know anything about it, but that was very informative to me as well
So in colder climates, there is a better possibility that white fats turn to brown fats; and make weight loss faster?
I’m glad I’m moving to London from Egypt LOL from hot to cold, I believe I can easily tell you all, if that made a difference with me or not, when I get there.

@Ernest the reason I wrote once a week, because I wasn’t so sure if it would kick me out of ketosis or not. So I was trying to limit myself.
I’m not loosing any weight at the moment, just 2.5kg in 10 days. And I have no idea if I’m in ketosis or not, but I’m following all your recommendations.

@Saphire as for my mum despite she feels better, and we are both monitoring her sugar level and blood pressure but yet she was a bit discouraged this morning, when she weighed herself and told me that she actually gained like 1kg :scream: I told her that’s just water that replaced the fats she lost and she should ditch the scale and try using her clothes to monitor.

@marklifestyle that was as well very informative, problem is I haven’t moved to the uk yet and in Egypt there are no Ketosix or anything else for me to know if I’m in ketosis or not, I guess I will just stick to the Carb manager and macros until I go next month. I just wanted to know if I’m in ketosis or not, but looks like there is no way for me to find, which meal is best for me at the moment. I’m still a bit lost with how to find out if I’m in ketosis or not. But no other options :worried:
So now my question is?
Do I really need to purchase anything to know if I’m in ketosis? Cause I can’t do that before a month from now.

(Mark Rhodes) #99

In that case, using pee sticks the first couple of weeks will show you that you are producing ketones but then it will also likely fade away. During this time you will be in ketosis. You also might feel sick during the initial phase as your body starts to switch over. Use plenty of salt, if you can take magnesium & potassium to help you through this period if you can avoiding supplements with fillers i.e. carbs.
The goal is to become fat adapted but as of yet there is no large test of this. There is a post going on right now dealing with this very subject How to Tell if You're "Adapted"

(Khara) #100

My first time Keto, I did not buy any kind of ketone tester. I successfully lost 40 lbs in about 7-8 months. I have ordered one now, but mostly just out of curiosity as I go forward and play with fasting. It is certainly not necessary for weight loss success in my opinion.
I feel like I can tell that I’m in ketosis by the length of time I can intermittent fast before getting hungry and wanting to eat. I can easily go the better part of a day or even a full day sometimes without being hungry. There is no way I could’ve done this on carbs and so this is my own feel for being in ketosis and fat adapted.