How to Tell if You're "Adapted"

(Liam) #1

hi all, I am new to this board but not new to the topic of ketogenic diets. In conversation with various people here I am seeing the “adapted” word used alot, but when I ask HOW CAN I TELL if I am adapted, the answer is almost always vague, like more clarity, even euphoria etc… I ask if this can be tested by glucose response levels to meals or ketone levels and the answer is usually no, so there is no way to test if someone is adapted? I just can’t accept that the answer is no

Keto meal portions! Kindly answer fast as I'm hungry LOL
Would you kindly help a newb out?

This should help:

(Liam) #3

I remember reading these posts and thinking they were ALSO VAGUE, i.e. no way to test for this, it’s just a feeling kind of description, but will read again, thanks

As noted in the articles,

(Mark Rhodes) #5

I was also under the understanding that testing ketones via the blood also just shows the potential to use ketones for energy and other functions. There is no easy way to test fat oxidation. Much like ONLY an alcoholic can self diagnose I have taken fat-adaptation to be self proclaimed.

My wife and I started keto at the same time. The 5th month of strict keto and I can fast 4-5 days, probably longer but haven’t tried. My wife is still ravenously hungry. My BOHB is between.8 & 1.5, only higher when fasting. Hers is between 2.8 & 3.5 regularly. My wife has had less SCALE victories than I. My scale progress and Dexa both show greater outward changes. We interpret this as: 1) She has more metabolic damage and needs more time to repair. She ate far more sweets, grains and root vegetables than I over 20 years and very sedentary whereas I am extremely active. 2) Her higher ketones does not translate into higher ketone usage, only potential as her fasts are still difficult and as such she is not doing them again for another month. 3) She also struggles eating animal fats and I do not. Thus she eats more oils and MCT, BPC to make up the difference. I have suggested she try more saturated fats such as using my bacon grease, chicken grease and butter. She has started to do so last week. Also she has upped her calories. I don’t mark mine, she does and still was under the influence of her old thinking of calorie restriction even when trying not to be. I don’t know how that affected her.

(Liam) #6

This is very helpful, thank you very much, may I ask how both of your cholesterol levels are? This is something I am having major challenges with

(Mark Rhodes) #7

Well mine in March was 2.3. However I am fascinated by the research which also shows that our understanding of lipids is as incomplete as our understanding of nutrition. Listen to this weeks Podcast, read Siobahn’s blog and I would also recommend Jimmy Moore’s Cholesterol Clarity even though it is slightly out of date it is a great introduction into misconceptions of cholesterol,LDL ( numbers, density etc) and HDl

I second this one. My girlfriend hates the fat so when we split a ribeye she gives me all the fatty parts from her plate. This reason alone has me considering a marriage proposal.

(Liam) #9

haha!!! my wife too