Keto meal portions! Kindly answer fast as I'm hungry LOL

The ketostix are nice in the beginning because you get the purple color showing you are doing it right way.

You should be able to get it in your country. It is designed for diabetics to avoid keto acidosis. They have been around for many years. Ask the pharmacist.

Whether you need it absolutely, probably not

(Ross) #102

@Haidy_Makram_Ebeid, just to be clear, the colder climate stuff is just speculation on my part. The difference in obesity levels of Minnesota and Colorado VS surrounding states has bugged me for some time because it was attributed to year-long exercise (at least in MN)… I’m speculating that it’s not the calories burned from exercise so much as a greater amount of activity performed outdoors in colder temps.

The testing looked to be done for shorter exposures at moderate temps, so take from it what you will…

More speculation on my part, I do wonder what part conductivity plays? I would imagine that it’s not just raw temperature that plays a part but rather rate of cooling (related to the k in Newton’s law of cooling). Extended exposure to 60 F temps in air would probably seem about the same to a human body as swimming or just wading in 80 F pool water as far as heat loss is concerned. Perhaps similar results could be experience simply by bobbing around a pool for a while a couple times a week?

I would probably eat two of those plate-fulls, and I would replace the sauce with butter. However, I eat only 1 or 2 times a day.

(Todd Allen) #104

I take a morning bath using only the cold tap, which currently is about 65F. It used to be awful, but now it is only unpleasant for a moment and then I rapidly warm up. And when I get out I feel great. My tolerance for fasting is now greatly improved despite have dropped from about 45% bodyfat to 15% bodyfat.

(Sondra Rose) #105

There is plenty of offal available in the US. You just have to know where to look!

We have lived in Port Townsend, WA, Santa Fe, NM, Boise, ID and Tucson, AZ.

We have found offal readily available in all of these places. Farmers Markets and Food Coops are the best bet, but we have also found offal at Whole Foods, Asian and Mexican Grocery stores and ordinary supermarkets.

This include liver, kidneys, and heart. And of course, sausages are great options, if you can find ones without carby fillers.

Other offal is available online. US Wellness Meats have a great liverwurst, for example. Also, www.eatwild.com is a great resource for farmers and ranchers who sell direct.

(KCKO, KCFO) #106

I was thinking more about going to a restaurant and being able to order many dishes of offal.

There are ethnic grocers who do carry it around here, but my normal grocery no longer stocks pork or beef liver.But it does carry all beef hot dogs and Costco carries the ones I like made from Bison.

I’m in Denver area so the Latin/Asian markets would have some offal. I can go to a specialty cheese shop in the next county over and good goose, duck and pork mousses made with liver. It also carries some nice salami that is much better than Hormel stuff.

The Localvore movement has made some offal more obtainable by creating a market for it. But many places in the US would not carry much of any offal products. You have to look hard and be willing to cook it all yourself in most locales.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #107

Time was (not all that long ago, either) you could get tripe, kidneys, heart, liver, oxtail, and pigs’ knuckles at any supermarket. I’m going to suggest to my local Stop ‘n’ Shop and Big Y that they might want to start thinking about catering for the LCHF market, as it is going to be the next big thing.

(Sondra Rose) #108

Gotcha! Well fortunately offal is IN now and many of the newer restaurants are offering it. It can be pricy, though.

Here’s a conversation on Yelp that may be helpful, even though it dates back to 2013:

https://www.yelp.com/topic/denver-best-offal-restaurants

Denver should be easy, with so many restaurants. The challenge being to make the meal Keto-friendly, of course! Ethnic restaurants will be the cheapest option.

Polish: sausages
Vietnamese: Pho
Mexica: Menudo, Tripas

(KCKO, KCFO) #109

Where I grew up the local grocery store had big jars of pickled pig’s feet. I also had chicken feet readily available as my Aunty did a chicken every Sunday and all the offal and feet were used in something. She was doing nose to tail before it was a thing obviously. And I always loved heart, chicken and beef. She even served me eggs scrambled with pig brains once. It was the only dish I never asked for again, something about the texture just did not appeal to me. I am pretty famous for eating just about anything that doesn’t bite me first. :wink:

@brownfat Wait. Let me get this straight. You take cold baths and it helps you fast longer? If that’s true, I may give it a shot.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #111

@marklifestyle I will have a look on that link and educate myself, meanwhile I can’t really get that pee stick as well over here, I would need to wait until I’m in the UK next month to start monitoring. Problem is I’m so discouraged at the moment as I’ve gained weight and I’m quite stalled. I’m not really sure if I’m in ketosis or not, but I felt sick in my first week but it’s gone now.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #112

@KBG well I would need to listen to by body now, since I can’t purchase anything from where I am anyways. I like that idea of knowing I’m in ketosis by how far I can go for intermittent fasting. I actually don’t feel hungry almost all day; today I didn’t eat for 8 hours no breakfast and just had coffee with unsweetened cream in the morning. Not sure if that’s ok with keto or not. But I’m a bit discouraged Khara I stopped loosing weight, so did my mum, I’m afraid will gain not loose.

@Saphire I think I will most probably go for ketosis, but I searched everywhere for it here, and the reaction of the pharmacists was priceless (as if I’m an alien) LOL :joy: so I will just wait until I’m in the uk and life will be easier

@ggv I actually believe that your speculation makes sense to me. I will keep trying different things, but I need to start dropping weight fast, because that’s not happening at the moment

@MelTar I have eaten double the amount in the photo anyway lol :joy: I ate the same lamb chops today as well and when I logged in on th app it said I’ve had 87g of Protien and that is above my macros, not sure if that is right or wrong

@brownfat well your name itself agrees with the cold trick everyone is talking about, I’m not sure if I can do that cold shower but I will try it. That’s great results you have reached with your body fat. I hope I can reach there anytime soon :pray:

@SondraRose you eat offals???
I’m surprised to be honest I thought only middle eastern eat that :see_no_evil: I do eat that stuff of course and was wondering if any non middle eastern saw me eating it, will probably get disgusted :joy:
So nice you eat that stuff, do you know the proper name used for the intestines (the one used to make sausages) but from a cow ??

@collaroygal since you can eat pork mousses, do you think duck fois gras is allowed with keto?
I love eating it with hard toast, but I can do without the carbs
As for the brain you are talking about, we eat brains here as well but cow not pork, I haven’t tried the pork yet. But we eat it breaded and fried like nuggets, it’s absolutely yummy.

(KCKO, KCFO) #113

I eat fois gras every chance I get, which is pretty often. I like it on romaine lettuce leaves. I also use a Wasa cracker that is 1 carb per serve to it on. So worth it and if you have a carb it is best to have it with lots of fat, so fois gras fits the bill.

Oh and I would not eat cow brains either, source of mad cow disease. Not sure if that problem got resolved or not, so not going to take the chance of getting it if it is still around. There are other parts of beef that interest me, Rocky Mountain Oysters are beef testicles, they are deep fried and are delicious too, I’d take those over brain any time.

(KCKO, KCFO) #114

Ok, I am going to try this on Friday, I have jury duty tomorrow and won’t have time for bathing, a quick shower has to do it. Anything to sharpen the fasting skills.

(Sondra Rose) #115

Haidy, I think it is just intestine. The type of animal will vary from culture to culture.

(Khara) #116

Haidy, If I remember right you started in the 1st week of September(?). A lot of us stall after the 2nd or 3rd week. I believe it’s called post induction stall. I know there are some conversations about it on here. Your weight loss will probably go in fits and starts. I usually drop a bit and then stay there for quite a while, even a few weeks, then drop a bit, and stay at the new point again. Remember the lady with the water balloons!
Also, I know you watch your macros pretty close… My understanding is that early on it helps to get fat adapted if we are really hitting the fat macro and making sure that’s fairly high. I would need to search around on here to find the conversations. I just wanted to bring that up since you are already intermittent fasting some.
Unsweetened heavy cream in my coffee is my favorite. I only drink water, black coffee, coffee with cream, and bouillon/broth.
This is when people say KCKO. Really just let some time go by eating this new healthy way. Pay attention to other improvements you’re hopefully feeling.
:blush:

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #117

@collaroygal thanks for the fois gras info with that wasa cracker, I will search for them for sure
As for the Rocky Mountain Oysters we eat them here as well and thanks for giving me the name :joy:

@SondraRose I tried searching for them but I only found tripe and that’s not what I am looking for I believe it’s called jejunum and yet I can’t find it anywhere

@KBG yes Khara that’s correct I started on the 8th of September and I honestly expected to drop down weight faster than that, but I will keep the balloon lady video in mind; whenever I’m discouraged.

Now my birthday is tomorrow and the entire family is coming over; because it’s as well my farewell party. Each family member decided to cook my favourite meal :shallow_pan_of_food: so I’m positive I will be eating cakes, carbs and will mess up for that meal
Any rules to follow the next day so I jump in ketosis quickly, because of sure I will be kicked out
I can try to eat in moderation but not sure if I will be able to, I’m sure each lady will be so angry if I don’t eat what she cooked for me; especially that I’m leaving the country
Any recommendations or guidance?

(Sondra Rose) #118

Happy Birthday! After a day of heavy carbs, I usually fast for a day to get me into ketosis as quickly as possible. Then back to regular Keto.

Some info re: sausage casings:

http://www.meatscience.org/students/meat-judging-program/meat-judging-news/article/2015/07/24/what-are-the-types-of-sausage-casings

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #119

Thanks lovely :blush:
I will surely eat all I’m craving for the day; taking advantage of my birthday :tada:
So the next day I should not eat anything for how long, I can fast as long as I can drink water, coffee with cream or coconut oil
But how much time is recommended to get me back in ketosis?
And what should I eat that day in general? And for how many hours?
Thanks for casings info

(Sondra Rose) #120

Usually 24-36 hours fasting is sufficient to deplete your glycogen again from a single day’s indulgence. You could also just go back to Keto eating and it will take a few days. No stress. Your choice!