Keto meal portions! Kindly answer fast as I'm hungry LOL

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #61

@collaroygal that is beyond helpful for me
That’s Exactly what I wanted as a guide to understand quantities in Keto grams
Thanks a lot
I will memories it
To make my life easy

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #62

I made sure I replied back to each message I got, because I highly appreciated that you all spend time answering my questions :slight_smile:

Now I have two new question :grin:

Question 1: My mum is 71 and she was following a low fat, high protein and moderate carbs diet, but ever since I started Keto she truly envied me LOL :joy:

The thing is she is diabetic but takes only pills no insulin shots, she joined me in Keto about 4 days ago
I asked her to monitor her sugar level every single day and only in 4 days her sugar level kind of balanced and she didn’t need to take her pills to lower it, she as well always feels bloated and usually takes pills to make her feel less bloated but they usually never work; and she always look like she’s 9 months pregnant. But ever since Keto as well; she says she doesn’t feel bloated at all.
Now since im responsible for her now, is it ok she follows Keto as well?

Question 2: I’ve been trying educate myself with all the info about Keto, I recently found out forums that recommend buying Ketosix to see if I’m in ketosis or not. Shall I get them? And how do I know if I’m on ketosis?

(KCKO, KCFO) #63

If it feels good do it. Sounds like it is working out ok for you.

As for your question about your mom,She can just keep eating the way she did for the last 4 days and see if she stays in a good state. If she is ok after a week or so, then get a dr. involved and tell them how she has progressed. I think dr. supervision would be good. If you can find a dr. that knows what they are doing. know that if she slips back into her old way of eating, she will probably need her meds. None of us here are drs. so these are just suggestions.

IMHO, ketostix are only good for letting you know if you are dehydrated. They never gave me any other useful information. Atkins folks stopped recommending them over 10 years ago. Read the thread on here about the inexpensive old school type breathalyzers instead.

Not totally perfect either, but an easy and cheap way to tell if you in ketosis enough to create acetone in your breath. If you have money to burn you can always go with the Ketonic one, but it is too pricy for me. I had ordered one and was glad it got delayed after using the inexpensive one, I realized I didn’t need to blow all that money on the Ketonic device, YMMV.

(Jim Russell) #64

Tahini and lamb sounds delicious. :slight_smile:

(Jim Russell) #65

All food is going to have some moisture in it, especially canned foods. How much moisture in various food varies considerably. So your salmon may weigh 250 grams, but probably 150 grams or more is water. That is why you need to use either an app or food labels to find out the actual nutrition.

(Jim Russell) #66

ghee and eggs is one of my favorite combinations and a perfect keto meal. I especially love it with some added meat like sausage. Yum.

(Ernest) #67

Don’t stress over portions but be mindful that Keto high fat, moderate protein.
I’d eat every one of those lambs chops with the fat!!

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #68

@collaroygal you are right about getting a dr involved for my mum, I’ll do that if anything comes up with her sugar level, but so far so good to be honest; I’m actually impressed with the medical side of Keto.
As for the ketosis or Ketone or even the breath one; do I need to purchase one; or shall I just carry on like that?
And if it is recommended, which brand would you all recommend for me?
I mean is there other ways that I can know if I’m in ketosis? Like pee colour or smell (excuse my language) lol but usually I know I had enough water from my pee colour looool
So I believe that there could be a way finding out without using anything
Or do I still need to get it, in case I cheat a meal?
Which will eventually happen as I am closer to my target weight

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #69

@Jimbo
I must admit it’s very yummy

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #70

I love ghee in general over butter and I usually go for the buffalo ones the white coloured ones; for me they are tastier and yes I love them with eggs and meat or pork

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #71

@Ernest lol
You have to see me on dining table with friends, those that leave the fats behind; I seriously take it off their plates and in my mouth it goes :joy:

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #72

More and more of my questions, since I’m still in my first 9 days I am thinking carbs and sugar most of the time, I’m not completely over them yet, but I’m trying not touching them

But I searched and found these:

IMG_0506IMG_0505IMG_0507

Anyone agrees, or disagrees?
Shall I go for them as a treat, not now but after a month of Keto?? Or no one recommends them?

(Ernest) #73

HAHAHA! I do that all the time

Have not tried any of those brands but eat Konjac or shiritaki noodles regularly in other brands. They have no or almost no calories. There is a trick to preparing them. When they come out of the bag they will smell like last week’s dinner. You have to drain the liquid and then rinse them in water. I then lightly fry them in a frying pan and salt them. You can dry fry them or fry them in butter or oil. Then treat them as you would any cooked pasta. Some people recommend cooking them in boiling water for a few minutes after rinsing and draining. You can eat those as often as you want assuming it does not give you stomach upset as it has fiber

(Khara) #75

I just wanted to say Congratulations for your Mom! Happy to hear she is feeling so much better after such a short time. I think many of us have experienced improvements like this which just seems to show how much healthier this WOE is for us despite the weight loss that will come as well. As another poster said, pay careful attention to her and consider getting her doctor in on this since she is on medication. But, she will know better than anyone whether she is feeling better or not!

(Jim Russell) #76

I have never seen buffalo ghee here in the US. I will have to check some of the middle eastern grocery stores. It sounds delicious.

(Carpe salata!) #77

I used those keto snack bars for a while but they were a bit annoying because you don’t get the expected sugar high and end up being hungrier.

I find now that one meal a day is generally very comfortable and convenient during the week, on weekends I make sure I eat well to satiety to keep the bmr from dropping.

(Mark Rhodes) #78

Ketostix, as stated above, work the first week or so or during other episodes. The reason is the ketones you are producing initially are not being used. Then they start to be used and you look for color and none are being excreted anymore and you think you are doing something wrong- you are not!

Blood tests are the standard and you could buy a kit that does both glucose and ketones. .5-5.0 beta-hydroxybutyrate BOHB is what you are testing for. A higher number does not mean greater fat loss. It means, basically, the amount you have available, not actually the amount you are using. A ketonix is a pricey investment and it measures ketones in the breath. Once you buy the device all tests are free. There is debate as to its accuracy. I swear by mine. And I also test blood.

What this all means for me after 9 some months is that I know where a good keto diet averages in test readings. The last 2 months or so I began to see what my carb threshold is or going to a restaurant that is less keto friendly, the effects of a diet coke or a bai beverage. Once I established a good baseline average I could introduce a food sporadically and see if it hurt or hindered me. By the time I get to the American holidays at years end I should be able to navigate pretty well around the copious amounts of celebratory foods.

(Ross) #79

:slight_smile: I like to be an “informed consumer” too. I need to understand the “whys” not just the “whats to do/not do” Knowing he whys help us make good decisions when confronted with something new.

I think Dr. Fung has another part of the puzzle in his ideas regarding a “set weight” (really a set amount of body fat) that our bodies naturally want to rebound to & hold when we get off all the toxic crap that’s confounding our systems (sugar, processed grain oil, food additives/ garbage, etc…) That might explain (although not in much detail) why we tend to why we tend to drop weight while not in caloric deficit.

Musing here now…I’d be curious to find out if the body is forced to use one form of fat over another. Say, we eat a bunch of butter (and no insulin response) but we were above our natural set weight and our body wanted to drop 10 or 20 pounds. What would the body do? It has two perfectly good fat sources. Body fat & butter. Is it forced to use the butter we ate over the body fat? The fact that we all tend to lose weight on Keto while not in caloric deficit suggests to me that the body might have a preference for its own body fat reserves while getting things back in order until the “set weight” is reached or approached like a limit in calculus.

To me the real value of intermittent fasting is like a power tool to slowly nudge the set weight a little lower.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #80

One thing the body can do is to “waste” fat by burning it for heat (instead of “waisting” it, lol). Given enough fat, and no insulin to force fat storage, certain white fat cells can turn into fat-metabolizing brown fat cells and start consuming fat. I’ve seen comments on other threads by people complaining they’re warm all the time, and I suppose this is why.