Keto French Fries (made with Coconut or Almond flour)!

food

Anyone see this recent video on Heavenly Fan’s YouTube Channel?

Very simple ingredients:

Almond fries:
100g ground almonds (you can use finer almond flour but the texture will be denser and crunchier)
3 tsp xanthan gum (or konjac powder if you have it!)
6 tbsp hot water

Coconut flour fries:
50g coconut flour
3 tsp xanthan gum (or konjac powder)
7-8 tbsps hot water

Thanks to everyone
Grilled Potatoes? You Better Believe It!
(Susan) #2

Thanks for sharing this, @OgreZed --I have bookmarked it and want to try to make it soon, that looks so cool!

(Karen) #3

Did you make these french fries and did you run into any trouble? Also do they have the texture of french fries?

(Tracy) #4

I’m trying this. I wonder how they would taste coated in some Erythritol and cinnamon and maybe drizzled with some kind of glaze. Thanks for sharing. When I make them I’ll post the results.

Oh, they sound so crispy! I I’m gonna have to try them for myself.

I made the coconut flour ones, and fried them in a thin layer of oil. They made enough for one bowl of poutine :slight_smile:

I took the fries out of the pan when they got crispy, added some homemade chicken broth and tamari sauce, let it reduce for a bit, added a bit of cornstarch to thicken it (you can use xanthan gum as a thickener, too), and some salt and pepper. Put the fries in a bowl, but cheese and bacon on them, and poured the hot gravy on top. It’s like 3/4 the way there for poutine, and this is coming from a born and bred Canadian.

(Tracy) #7

I can’t believe what I’m witnessing. These actually taste like French fries. The ones on the red/white paper were fried in avocado oil. The sweet version was air fried. The ones from the air fryer turned out more like a donut so that’s why I made them sweet. I would say this dough could be used as a fried donut. Lots of experiments in my future.

:yum:

Someone else has posted a similar video, with slightly different recipes, using psyllium powder instead of xanthan gum…

ALMOND FLOUR VERSION
Almond Flour = 120 g / 1 cup
Psyllium Husk (Finely Ground) = 18 g / 2 tbsp
Hot or Boiling Water = 90 ml / 3/8 cup

WALNUT FLOUR VERSION
Walnut Meal = 120 g / 1 cup
Coconut Flour = 45 g / 3/8 cup
Hot or Boiling Water = 120 ml / 1/2 cup
NOTE: The walnuts should be grinded together with the coconut flour so that it can absorb the excess fats from the walnuts and prevents it from turning into butter.

SESAME & SUNFLOWER VERSION
White Sesame Meal = 60 g / 1/2 cup
Sunflower Meal = 60 g / 1/2 cup
Hot or Boiling Water = 90 ml / 3/8 cup
NOTE: The white sesame and sunflower seeds can be grinded with a coffee bean, seeds, nuts or multi grinder.

DIRECTIONS

1. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
  2. Add wet ingredients and mix until a dough is formed.
  3. Knead the dough for a while then shape into a ball.
  4. Roll the dough into a rectangle or square shapes.
  5. Cut into 3 or 4 inch strips.
  6. Deep fry the dough in hot oil over medium high heat. For the first fry, just fry until lightly browned then remove. Then fry for the second time until brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
  7. Immediately add salt to taste.
  8. Enjoy these keto French fries fresh for that crispy texture.
  9. You can reheat them using a mini toaster or oven.

(Susan) #10

Thanks for sharing with us --I linked this thread on my Accountability thread as well --I want to try it very soon.

(Mame) #11

I am shocked and don’t know what to think! LOL I have to try it. :rofl:

and Susan @momof5 thanks so much for linking to it, I might never have seen it

I tried a small batch of the coconut flour version today, baking half of them in the oven and microwaving the others.

The ones in the microwave got very crispy.

The ones baked in the oven puffed up more.

But since they weren’t fried, both reminded me more of a cracker than a French Fry. Missing the most essential tastes of a French Fry – fat and salt.

But based on what I took out of the microwave, I was wondering if an uncut rolled out piece of the dough could be used to make a crispy pizza crust. And if the uncut rolled out piece of dough baked in the oven could be the equivalent of a flatbread.

And other thoughts came up:

• Could the dough be rolled out and cut by a pasta maker?
  • Could the dough be flattened out by a tortilla press?
  • Could the dough be cooked in my Dash Mini Waffle maker?

Also:

• What happens if eggs are added?
  • What happens if fat is added as an ingredient, like butter or coconut oil?
  • What happens if shredded cheese is added (ala Fathead dough)?
  • What happens if protein powder is added?

In her next video, Heavenly Fan does a Q&A on some questions asked about the first French Fry video:

Someone on Instagram did fried donuts:

Some comments from the first video:

• Made the keto fries into crispy chips! Added extra water to get to mashed potato consistency. Lined a cookie sheet with parchment, put 1/2 tsp on paper, used the back of a spoon to spread out to chip size. Thinner is better.fill up tray with chips. Put in freezer till set about 10 minutes. Peel off and drop one at a time in oil. Added spices to mix. Holds up to dips, etc. Really good! Heavenly fan, thank you!

• Also made hash browns by freezing the dough (prepared to soft consistency like mashed potatoes) wrap dough in plastic wrap till frozen. I thawed it a few seconds first, then shredded on box grater. Then just drop the shreds in oil. Had them for breakfast today. Made them a few days ago, put them in the toaster oven a few minutes to crisp up again. Wonderful! My husband is a happy man to have hash browns again! Thank you so much for this!

:smiley: Your mind works exactly like mine here (I would use lard for the salty ones though. butter sounds great for the sweet kind)… Me and my zillion experiments… A few days ago I made 10 cookies, 8 different kinds… My Carnivore November will be a relief as I have a bit less wriggle room there - still so many things to try… :smiley:

I plan to try this thing too though I am sure it’s way too much work for something that is probably not nearly as good as my usual food - but who knows? It’s very obvious it never will be anything like french fries, the taste will be very different, the ingredients ensure it (I believe there are people with strange, easy to trick tastebuds, well mine are totally not like that) but maybe it still will make something interesting! Maybe in December… I lurk here and watch other people’s experiences until then so thanks for your experiment with oven and microwave, I will try those too. Probably with added fat or maybe with some sauce…? The first is simpler but may change the texture…?

I see others experiment too. I so love modern times where recipes come with comments, sometimes with very many and we see the potential problems and new ideas. Experiments still may be needed as tastes are different.

(Now I am curious. Maybe I try the almond and sesame ones earlier, a tiny amount sounds quick and easy enough. I will bake something (no English word for it, I fear) today with real potatoes but those won’t be CRUNCHY. Just way too carby but the target likes that. Potato flavor is awesome though and you can get that only with potatoes, life is like that. In the past I could find potato flour - it’s not easy here - and I used that on keto in moderation sometimes. Flour and flavor in one. With amazing water absorption qualities.)

I was wondering this too, but I don’t think it would work very well since you can’t heat them up like the hot water, to “activate” the xanthan gum, without the eggs cooking.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

At some point, the eggs are going to get cooked anyway, no?

The Fathead recipe for pizza crust involves adding eggs to a warm dough. I don’t think the eggs cook all that much while being mixed (it appears that a lot gets soaked up by the nut flour), but certainly they don’t cook enough to prevent rolling out the dough, even if it becomes necessary to put the dough back into the microwave to soften it up. Once the dough is in the oven, though . . . :grin:

(Mame) #17

why not just cook the ‘fries’ in fat… like lard…

(Bob M) #18

Or tallow?

That was my plan.

I don’t like immersing things in oil or fat. I never know what to do with all the fat afterwards…

I had another thought – how about as a dough for mini-calzones or empanada? I’m thinking about getting this dough press from Amazon (ignore the cherries):