Keto French Fries (made with Coconut or Almond flour)!

food

It’s my problem too - well, I eat the fat afterwards, obviously, I never throw out good food but it’s still a mess and trouble.
But I learned from my mom that almost everything can be fried in the amount of fat we eat anyway… It won’t be as pretty, it’s trickier but we always fried our things in a little amount of fat. Except donuts, they need a lot and I didn’t do breaded stuff as it’s a mess and trouble and I end up with lots of dirty dishes, I don’t understand people (once in a few years I may do it but usually using my little fat method)… Cooking is my hobby but I still prefer simple :smiley:

So I will fry them in the fat they need anyway.

(Tracy) #22

![IMG_2790|375x500](upload://9E7

57vHbxNrXSFmUYT0tExCXYV6.jpeg)

I made a sweet and savory version. They are surprisingly good. The sweet ones I made in the air fryer and they turned out puffy like a donut. I had some leftover dough and did some experiments. It does not hold up in water so steaming or boiling is out of the question. I rolled it out very thin between parchment and made some fried ravioli and it turned out very good. I’m thinking egg rolls would be good or an asian fried dumpling filled with the same stuffing you’d use for pot stickers. I think this is my go-to dough for those hand pies or pop tarts I have made in the past.

(Tracy) #23

I think this is a great idea. I made some hand pies and pop tarts a few weeks ago. I think this French fry dough is much easier, has less carbs and tastes better than the dough I used previously. To make the hand pies I just cut out a circle and pressed it with a fork to seal it up.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

Stable fats, such as tallow and lard, can be reused. When you don’t want to keep them, you can pour them on the ground, since they are organic and non-toxic.

There’s a recipe very similar to this, keto coconut flour noodles, that I’ve made a couple times before, and they were steamed and didn’t fall apart.

(Tracy) #26

I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!

(Bob M) #27

I use mine about 4-5 times or so. At some point, especially if you use any type of coating, they get not so great. The coatings, in particular, will get in there. Even though I filter using both paper and a metal filter, they are still there.

And the PUFAs do degrade. Even though tallow is low in PUFA, it does have some.

Might make some cheese sticks and smashed hamburgers this weekend in the fryer. Might try a “french fry” if I do.

Ah, you’re right, my apologies. I was thinking that in order to use eggs here, you’d have to replace the hot water with hot eggs, but that… doesn’t make sense, especially remembering how the noodle recipe I just commented about is made.

Just bought this to use with keto dough.:clap:

For this dough, or another?

I have several keto dough recipes. I’m going to try with this one, fathead dough and a pasta dough recipe from UplateAnyway.

http://uplateanyway.com/keto/fettuccine-low-carb-pasta/

(Mick) #32

thanks for teh recipe. I always go for Kohlrabi for fries. Very low carb, and nice and natural. Good not to OD on the old almonds sometimes too

(Bob M) #33

Interesting. Is that a winter vegetable? I might be able to get behind that.

(Tracy) #34

I’ve never heard of kohlrabi. I just looked it up and it looks very low in carbs. If I can locate it I’ll try it as a potato sub in soup. Thanks for the tip.

(Flying Saucereyes) #35

Thanks for sharing this recipe.
I made the plain coconut flour ones and they were very good. I think if they were a little more savoury in flavour they’d be a convincing stand in for McDonald’s fries.
The almond flour version were good too. I added a little nutritional yeast, salt and chicken broth powder for a more savoury flavour. They had a more pastry like texture and the left over ones were still nice and crispy two days later.
I used a tortilla press for both types and it was easy.

I’m currently freezing some dough to see if it will thaw well and work the same once thawed.

I used peanut oil. I buy it in a metal tin and filter the used oil back into the tin to reduce waste. I find peanut oil can be reused in this way many times.

(Bob M) #36

Peanut oil? You’re not concerned about the PUFAs?

I’ve been frying everything in tallow, though it is much more expensive than peanut oil. Compare:

(Flying Saucereyes) #37

Thank you for the information. I use organic locally produced peanut oil. I realise it is not the best but I’m not alarmist about it.
I rarely fry food. Most cooking I do with ghee.
That said, I would certainly be open to using beef tallow if I could find organic or grass fed.
Do have any ideas of how to buy it?
I’m in Qld Australia and I’ve never come across it for sale here.

(Flying Saucereyes) #38

Just reporting back to say the frozen coconut flour dough thawed and cooked perfectly.