Keto For 3 Weeks with Zero Weight Loss

(Kamilla Monteiro) #1

Hi there Ive been doing Keto for 3 weeks now and have zero weight loss. My day usually consist of Bulletproof Coffee- 1/2 Cup Homemade Almond Milk, 1 Scoop Collagen, 1 Tsp Ghee, 1 Tablespoon of MCT Oil

Breakfast/ Lunch: 2 Eggs, 2 Bacon Strips, 100g of Spinach, 1 Avocado about 200g

Dinner: 8 oz Salmon + 100 Grams of Butter Lettuce or Spinach, 2 Tablespoon of Primal Kitchen Caesar Dressing with Avocado Oil

My Calories 1339 a day since I track everything on Lifesum

Protein Stay around 88g
Fay 81g
Carbs around 12

I drink around a Gallon of water a day and workout as well which consist of weight training.
Any tips on what I may be doing incorrectly. Im following a Paleo/Ketogenic diet

I bought Ketone strips I usually test between moderate or high trace of ketones but zero weight loss so far

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

If you were male I’d say not enough calories or fat for your activity level. Also, throw those stupid strips away. They’re only good to increase your stress and inhibit weight loss.

But, since you’re female…hormones? :man_shrugging:

I have been doing this WOE for 6 months and lost nothing!
But the health benefits have been life changing - literally :slight_smile:
I am now playing around with my level of dietary fat to start burning the love handles.
Take the time to get comfy with the foods and learn your response to different foods.
Then, when you are really fat adapted and comfy with this lifestyle you can start dropping dietary fat and burning body fat.

Right now your body still wants carbs.
It doesnt know how to burn fat as a primary fuel source.
Give it time and enjoy the massive health benefits that accrue in the meantime.

xx

(Jay AM) #4

What is your weight, height, and age? That way we can work on some recommendations. So far, I’m seeing restricting calories is probably the culprit which is pretty common for newer people.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

Depending on height and weight, I still say probably not enough calories.

(Kamilla Monteiro) #7

25 years old, 5’6 168lb

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Yup, way too low for calories. You should be closer to 1700-1900. Even the 1700 is a deficit if your at a light to moderate activity level, and we don’t recommend you be in a deficit during the adaptation phase.

Are you hungry a lot?

(Jay AM) #9

I’ve gone ahead and recalculated some recommendations for you using https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com set to sedentary, middle protein, and 0% deficit. Eating keto is not about calories in, calories out. And, with exercise, you can definitely afford to eat more. Also included below are links which talk about adding more calories for weight loss along with my general newbie recommendations to get you on the right track.

1672kcal Daily Calorie Intake (this is a goal, not a limit. Calories should ideally be controlled by hunger signals.)

20g Carbs (5%, 80 kcal) (this is a general limit for new people)

82g Protein (20%, 328 kcal) (going over or under occasionally is fine)

140g Fat (75%, 1264 kcal) (eat fat to satiety. If you are hungry between meals, eat more fat at the next meal.)

We have a few sayings here, “keep calm, keto on” and “trust the process.” Keto isn’t a quick weight loss diet. It’s a health gaining way of eating with fat loss as a side effect. If the scale is an unhealthy obsession, put it away for a couple of months or give it to a neighbor you don’t like.

There are two phases to ketosis and a ketogenic lifestyle.

Nutritional ketosis is phase one. Your body begins to produce and uptake some ketones while dumping the rest. It will still search for glucose to use as fuel. In this phase it’s not an efficient process. It has to work actively to get rid of stored glycogen, clean up excess blood sugar, and turn on the ability to use ketones.

Fat adaptation is phase two. Your body is efficiently producing ketones from intake and stored body fat and is also using them efficiently for energy. It takes around 6-8 weeks of strict keto to achieve for many but not all.

The basic “rules” I go by and many others can agree with especially for beginners are:

*20g net carbs max (you might tolerate more but, starting out, 20g net carbs or less will get you into ketosis.)

*Moderate protein (1g-1.5g per kg of lean bodyweight is a good goal based on the 2 Dudes recommendations.)

*Fat to satiety (add fat to every meal and, if you are hungry, eat more fat. Don’t be afraid of fat. It is energy.)

*Do not restrict calories

*Do not exercise excessively

*Drink plenty of water

*Get plenty of sodium and other electrolytes (search for ketoaide here in the forums)

(Kamilla Monteiro) #10

No I feel like if i eat more ill be eating just to eat not because I’m hungry I’ve been doing IF I fast from 6pm - 10 am

I workout daily my activity level is more than moderate I do HIIT for about 20 mins after weight training

I train about 5-6x a week 1-2 days off

(Pete A) #11

More bacon and real food More calories.

(Jay AM) #12

If your deficit based on hunger signals lasts longer than 2 weeks, it’s usually damaged satiety signalling. Imagine that someone who restricts calories extremely (usually in the case of an eating disorder) isn’t constantly feeling hungry. If they were it would be near impossible to keep it up. The body eventually lowers the BMR and matches hunger signals to the new one. It gets rid of non essential tasks in the meantime and holds onto weight. Try upping for a couple of weeks and see how you go. Initially, you might gain as commonly happens when people go from restricting calories to eating enough. This isn’t fat gain. After that, things should get going in a better direction.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #13

What Jay said.

But also you can increase calories by simply picking foods with higher fat content. Fat has 9 calories per gram while carbs and protein have 4. Certainly some veggies are fine on Keto, but I recommend if you’re struggling to eat enough calorie wise to get out of starvation mode, set them aside for now and opt instead for something much higher in fat. Make sure you’re adding extra fat to meals. For instance, if you top fish or meat with Keto friendly tartar sauce or mayo, just 2 tablespoons adds as much as 200 calories and 28g fat.

(Lonnie Hedley) #14

No offense, but more than moderate is professional athlete. 20 minutes of HIIT is still light exercise even with weight training. With that said, you’re still eating too few calories.

As far as food choices I see no issues, only thing % wise is your protein is equal to your fat. May wanna up the fat a little. Are you energy levels good? Did you ever have any keto flu symptoms when starting out?