Keto food you would pay for that isn't available to purchase readily (for you)

ketostore

(VLC.MD) #6

(3) Wickles

Ingredients: FRESH JALAPENO PEPPERS, WATER, CUCUMBERS, VINEGAR, SALT, LACTIC ACID, XANTHAN GUM, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVATIVE), MALIC ACID, ALUM, POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE), NATURAL FLAVORS.

(VLC.MD) #7

(4) keto hamburger buns

(Lesley) #8

Chicken shish-kebab with low carb pitta bread. I’m tired of making my own too. I do love the way the kebab shops chop their salad.

Maybe one day take-outs like kebab shops will carry both low carb and high carb breads… one day… a gal can dream!

(VLC.MD) #9

Are you talking about something that looks like this ?

the answer for me is … no pita and lots of cellulose

(Lesley) #10

Oh wow that looks good. Yes that is exactly what I mean. When I get take-out I do just get it with salad, no pitta, but it darn pricey here (uk) for what you get. So I do make my own, but I’m sooo lazy at times.

The purple/grey flat bread in the picture is keto-connect naan bread. I think it the pysllium husk powder that turns it that colour, but tastes great. I use their recipe for around hamburgers/with curries/in place of pitta and even to make the odd sandwich. Only 2 net carbs each one.

(Lesley) #11

I’ve never managed to find pork-rinds in the UK. If they exist I’ve seen no evidence of it. Shame as so many recipes use them. :frowning:

(bulkbiker) #12

If you have a local asian supermarket you may find some Chiccarones (spelling may differ) which are I think what our friends over the pond call pork rinds.
They are very puffy dry pork skins not like our scratchings or cracklings… why you find spanish sounding pork rinds in asian supermarkets I have no idea but I have bought some from there…
I think it was Wing Yip in Croydon if you are anywhere near there.

(Lesley) #13

Oh you STAR Mark. I’m south London so I’m sure even if I don’t get out as far as Croydon I will find a similar place. I actually know of that store as I have been on their website a year or so ago when I was looking for sugar free soy-sauce.

I often thought I would like to try pork rinds to do a crispy coating on perhaps chicken or something. Yay, you have made my day. :smiley: Thank you!

EDIT: Now you gave me the name for them they are all over the place. But guess what, Sainsburys are doing pork crackling now too. They must be catching on again… but as you say it not the same as pork rinds. I will keep looking and go to local Asian supermarket.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Ital. cicciaroni
Span. chicharrones
Engl. “yum!”

Now, not only is my local supermarket not stocking pork rinds, they don’t have any almond or coconut flour, either. They haven’t been able to lay their hands on any liver, either—for months! Sheesh!

I may have to send @Brenda around to talk to them. (How’s about it, hon?)

(Marie) #15

Low carb hot dog buns that are not dense and heavy.

Fathead dough, noodles, crackers.

(Annika) #16

I would like to buy

Homemade majonnaise
Fatcoffee at work

(VLC.MD) #17

(5) Chicken Tenders Deep Fried w/ pork rind coating

(Karen) #18

Good tasting 100% olive oil mayo that’s thick

(VLC.MD) #19

Cauliflower pizza shell - recipe from Dr Fung’s fasting book.

(Todd Allen) #20

Free range / pastured pork products. Here in Chicago it is getting easier to find grass fed beef but finding non-industrial agriculture pork in any form is challenging.

(VLC.MD) #21

(7) Cheese tortillas

Don’t you call them “scratchings” over there?

(Lesley) #23

I think scratchings are slightly different.

(Hoteski) #24

I wish there was readily available keto takeaways, restaurants and keto friendly section in the lunch section of supermarkets. Wish someone would just start mass production on keto friendly snacks that didn’t cost ten times more than their counterparts and was just available everywhere. If someone actually sold fatboms for instance in supermarkets I’d try it out.

(bulkbiker) #25

Scratchings have more fat still attached than pure rinds. Sometimes in the UK in Chinese/Asian supermarkets you can find chiccarones which I think are more like puffed up pork skin which I think is what pork rinds are. Also Mr porky make something called “crunch” which have a dry almost quaver like texture. I think these would also be similar to pork rinds.
And yes I have done quite a bit of research into this!
http://porky.gcdevelopment.co.uk/product/crunch/