KETO Class of 2017

hypothyroid
newbies

(KCKO, KCFO) #101

Try doing wine spitzers, a shot glass of wine then fill up the glass with sparkling water. I use lemon or lime flavored Le Croix. This can come in handy when attending social functions as you are holding a wine glass with a beverage in it so no one questions you.

Bread and potatoes are just not in my life anymore. Good luck on dropping those out of yours again.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #102

6/22/18 SW 377 CW 344 GW 170

Oh summer solstice has me vibin’ on the happy keto grilled foods that we get to eat!

My last nutrition appointment was a success! My metabolism has stabilized and so I lost 3 pounds over the past month.

Super happy to be on the weight-loss trend again.

It really helped to repeat the Dudes mantra, Keep calm and Keto on. It reminded me that I can re-set my clock with a 72 hour fast.

I have also been thinking about my weight-loss journey compared to others who have had rapid loss.

I’m jealous! But I’m not looking forward to the extensive hanging skin that comes from rapid weight-loss. It’s scares me.

I remind myself that losing is losing. Slower is ok! And slower keeps me in the process of living day to day, in the present, vs rapid weight loss having me dreaming and scheming on how quickly I could lose the weight and have skin surgery.

Thankful for the forum community!
Happy Friday
:sunglasses:

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #103

7/23/18 SW 377 CW 347 GW 170

Oh me,
oh my,
Where does the time fly?

July 13, 2018 marked the 1-year Anniversary of my starting lazy Keto. It took another couple of weeks (July 31, 2017) for me to fully commit to the keto lifestyle.

When I first started, I cried as I began to work hard to learn about Keto and I read stories of people losing 100’s of pounds. I pictured myself 100 lbs lighter and what my life would possibly be like to finally weigh under 331 pounds so I could play WII sports with my family again.

Today, 7/22/18, I’m not 100’s lighter. On the scale I am only down 30 lbs. it would be completely disheartening if I only focused on that number.

Through the podcasts and forums, I’ve learned the value of keto-patience. Keep calm and keto on means so much more than “waiting for your body to respond” or “figuring out what works for my body.”

To me, the phrase has been a lifeline. A lifeline that has been thrown out and pulled me back towards safety multiple times. Each time,
I don’t fall as far back out to sea, I’m inching closer and closer to health.

I’ve learned a lot about myself, my relationship with food and I’ve made career-altering decisions to accept a healthier lifestyle.

I’ve battled less illnesses, gained more energy and have more clear thinking days than not.

I’ve virtually eliminated drinking wine, after having a 20 year career in the industry.

My depression has all but disappeared.

I’ve been working steadily with a psychologist to remove the trauma after effects of various types of abuse from physical and emotional.

I hear on the podcast how Carl has plateaued for a long while, and doesn’t sweat it. I see his current pictures and know that he eventually breaks through the plateau.

I’ve learned to fast - both IF and EF successfully.

I’ve met a bunch of people, in person and online, who have embraced the keto lifestyle.

I have learned to support and accept support from strangers.

I have lost a high of 44 lbs and gained back 14 as I battle my hypo-thyroid medications against the weight on my body. I understand my body is trying to hold onto the weight that my medication dictates, and so am being patient as I keep trying to breakthrough.

I am not afraid, because it’s not a race anymore.
It’s not about the future and when I will lose all of the weight. it’s about living for today, in the moment, celebrating with my keto-community, this glorious way of life for the insulin-resistant people of the world.

Thank you, Carl and @richard for introducing me to so many talented Doctors, Scientists and Authors over this past year. It takes a village and lots of Faaat to heal from a lifetime of mis-diagnosis, and I am so glad to be on this journey with you!

~Class of 2017! KCKO

(KCKO, KCFO) #104

Great post Cailynq. Congrats on a year of going keto. fireworks

Sounds like your body and mind are in healing phase it can take a while. So glad you have found the mental strength to carry on even when things are not going as you would like. That is hard lesson we all have to learn at some point. Just keep it up you can be where you want to be. I sure had my doubts over years of battling with ups and downs of weight. If I can do it anyone can, that is for sure.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #105

So True!! Thank you for the kind words and celebration. You’re so inspiring!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #106

9/3/18 SW 377 CW 347 GW 170

Help! I know to KCKO, but I’m in need of some encouragement and new ideas.

For 5 months my thyroid medication and eating patterns have been challenging to say the least.

1- Lost enough Lbs (41 lbs)to require a thyroid dosage change.

2- changed dosage, gained 10 Back

3- lost and gained the same 3-6 lbs over the next 2 months, am now back to only 30lbs lost

4- started EF fat fasting three days in a row each week; BPC, Omd of fat and about 25 G protein-

5-After a month of this pattern, I lost 3lbs of fat and 2 lbs of muscle, my Keto supportive nutritionist said to IF and iOMD needs min of 45g protein to maintain muscle mass

6- last weeks thyroid test show my TSH is low (for me) at 4.59 while my T3 is at 2.

7-I’m constantly shakey like I’m on speed, my mind is amazingly sharp and I’m sleeping about 6-7 hours per night

8-I’m one year and one month in and want to be losing.

9-I’ve learned I’ve been overeating at times, even though my macro percentages are in the right range

10-I’m tired of logging my foods.

I’m tired of KCKO (though I’m a fervent believer!)

I’m not really too interested in food anymore, my omd is always delish so I don’t feel like I’m missing out.

So my dear community, can you point the way🤗

(KCKO, KCFO) #107

First wow look how far you have come in the last year. Yea, YOU.

Eating OMAD is supposed to be a useful mix up not a regular thing when trying to lose. Megan Ramos says it is fine for maintenance, but for losing weight, it should be mixed in with other types of fasting.

The shaking is probably related to your electrolytes, try some ketoaide when you start feeling shaky. There are links to recipes for ketoaide from Brenda and Dr. Ken Berry in the forums, do a quick forum search and you should easily find them. Either one will probably work for you.

While calories are not all important with keto eating, way too many will not result in good weight loss. I track for a few days here and there now to make sure I am not off course too far, but a high or extra low day here and there is fine.

Have you had your T2 tested? Seems drs. don’t always do that and people here and on MFP report that T2 is key for them. I don’t have thyroid issues (touches wood quickly) but have seen many reports of how much difference the right treatment can make.

I think this is a podcast I heard recently talking about how important T2 is with Daisy and one of her guests, it is a Keto Woman episode. @Daisy if this isn’t the right one, can you point her to it?
http://ketowomanpodcast.com/miriam-hatoum/

All the best on getting sorted out and KCKO.

T3 - yes we mentioned it in the podcast you listed.

Amy also discussed it at Ketofest during the live we recorded…

www.ketowomanpodcast.com/amy-berger-live

and I think also in the second episode we recorded.

www.ketowomanpodcast.com/amy-berger-returns

Hope these help :smiley:

(KCKO, KCFO) #109

I was thinking of the T2 instead of T3.
Cailyn, you might find this website helpful:

I did find this on T2, I don’t have thyroid issues so not a lot of notes about it, but I found this article easy to understand.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #110

Thank you! I have not heard of testing T2. 3 days in on the new dosage and the shaking is stopping. I do start every day with keto-aid.

I just added a multi-vitamin AND ate 2 full meals today. Thank you so much for telling me about @Daisy’s episode, I will listen to tomorrow!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #111

Thanks @Daisy I will catch up to those
Episodes!

Interesting. I have never heard of testing T2. T3 is the one that has most impact regarding gauging treatment. I do think that NDT is the best way to go if possible where you live (not here) as you will get the full range of Ts rather than just 3 or 4 if you are really unlucky! I am off to read the article you posted - thanks for the link :smiley:

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #113

10/9/18 SW 377 CW 358 GW 170

Well those stats say it all Ladies & Gents. I’m officially in a freefall of hell.

I love Keto And all that it has done for me. Energy, mental clarity. Slowly healing my body and brain from years of inadequate diet.

But seriously, I cry when I see posts of people who’ve had dramatic transformations after 6 months on Keto. 15 months in and I’m still battling metabolic issues.

I’ve stuck to the way of eating with carb slip ups occasionally. I got tripped up over eating too much protein for a period.

I visit my Keto supportive nutritionist monthly and she continues to cheer me on with little tweaks and suggestions.

The buggiest problem is my damn thyroid. Or lack thereof. I’ve had 3 medication changes in 6 months, am showing signs of adrenal fatigue and frustrated as hell.

I tried stopping logging my foods, but today I’m going back to it. Looking to see if there are “hidden” mistakes I’m making.

I’ll check in next month. Maybe I’ll have more insight by then.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and support! Debbie downer is signing off for now🤗

~Class of 2017 KCKO

(KCKO, KCFO) #114

You body is just working on healing itself. We abuse them for YEARS and then get frustrated because they don’t heal in a few months time.

Keep working on any thyroid issues and eating keto. Remember time will pass and if you stop working on your issues you will have 0 results. If you continue to work on yourself, you will have some results, like you are lower in weight, maybe not as low as you would like,but you are down from your high weight.

At one point I think you were one meal a day. Have you tried simply doing IFing or a timed eating window? What did work can stop working.

Hang in there, progress not perfection.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #115

Soooo true!

I was doing OMD but losing muscle. So went to 2 meals a day and right now I’m at 3.

Roughly, eating looks like this:

Morning - mct oil, pills, ketoaid

10-11 BPC

1-2pm feeding (Cobb salad with extra hard boiled egg or burger/beef with cheese)

6-7pm dinner of protein and veg

Also sticking a Premier Protein drink in the day somewhere.

What do you think?

Xo thank you!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #116

11/12/18 SW 377 CW 350 GW 170

Just a quickie --I’ve been slowly regaining.

1. stalled
  2. stopped recording what I ate
  3. eating too high of carbs
  4. not fasting
  5. medication change

So now that I’ve classically hit all 5 common reasons people fail their Keto diet, I’ve successfully sabotaged myself.

Now it’s time to get back on the horse, in the game and off to the races.

Dr has increased my T3, my TSH was still too low at 4.69. She thinks this may assist my low metabolism. Fingers crossed!

My left meniscus is separating from the bone. The dr says it’s from arthrosis, and I need Collagen.

So I’ll be checking on adding that to my diet.

Happy Holidays and KCKO!
Cailyn
~Class of 2017

(KCKO, KCFO) #117

Bone broth is a great way to get collagen into your system.

To get back on the keto track, eggs and bacon do the trick for me. After a couple of meals like that, I find I usually start dropping at least a lb. or so again. Just eating under the 20 grams should do it for you.

Hope the new meds help. Daisy’s podcast Keto Woman has a couple of espisodes that address the thyroid issues many have struggled with, might be worth a listen.

All the best getting back on track.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #118

Thanks @collaroygal

I just ordered bone broth and will be making large batches next week. I’ve got my bacon order arriving tomorrow from a local producer and just picked up 3 dozen farm eggs. I’m on the bacon and egg program too! Plus BPC. Which leaves me lots of room to shift up my metabolism.

Fingers crossed!:hugs:

KCKO
Cailyn

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #119

12/7/18 SW 377 CW 344 GW 170

So happy to share the news that it appears my stall has broken! I’ve lost 4 lbs this past week and 2 the previous 2 weeks.

Keep Calm and Keto in is so right. I knew to trust and sure enough, after 8 months the stall ended.

I had my medication Cytomel, tripled by my Dr 5 weeks ago. The day of the change I had massive edema in my legs, but I carried on. Had a few more random symptoms over the following two weeks.

Last week from Wednesday to Saturday I did an EF, watched DR Berg’s short video in If/EF for Thryoid Support and then went to 3 meals a day and pretty much 0 carbs.

From Dr Bergs video I also learned about cruciferous veggies, of which I was eating a lot of, and cut those out of diet.

Very happy to be back in the saddle again!

~Class of 2017
KCKO
Cailyn

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #120

3/2/19 SW 377 CW 352 GW 170

Hello Everyone,

It’s been a few months since I posted. On Dec 7, I had knee surgery which is requiring 6 mo the of rehab. I also had pneumonia so was very sick last months

My last post I had shared my thyroid medication was finally stabilized. I’ve been trapped in a recliner and on crutches for 6 weeks, and am now working out daily to re-build my strength.

So proud that my has only changed by 8 lbs! My guess is it’s muscle swapping places with fat.

As part of my recovery I’m reviewing my food logs. My carbs have been over 20, (nuts, fried food breading) so I’m pushing the reset button.

My BPC has been a bit generous - 1/2 c Heavy Whipping Cream, 2 T butter. So I reviewed different recipes and will be switching to 2 T butter and 1 T HWC.

Luckily I have been login my foods so I can review more of my Carb-Culprits!

Any suggestions on a reset?

Thanks!
~Class of 2017
Cailyn