KETO Class of 2017

hypothyroid
newbies

I hear you! The only reason I was able to go to OMAD was because I followed the Food Addicts Anonymous meal plan for a few weeks, which totally killed my appetite. I naturally fell into OMAD after a while because I was just not very hungry and have been following it ever since. I had tried OMAD multiple times before and failed every time. I think that since it was natural this time, it’s been very different. We’ll see how long it lasts. I am definitely open to eating more meals if I need them, but for now, I’m just following my hunger, which only comes once a day now.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #82

Can you send me a link to the FAA?

Sure!
FYI: It’s not keto!

http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/faa-food-plan

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #84

Thanks! That’s ok it not keto, I would like to read the principles and philosophies.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #85

12/15/17 :christmas_tree: 32 lbs down

Nutritionist check-in! As suspected my weight loss is slowing as I complete my 5th month. For the first time, I lost more muscle than fat, which I take to mean that my body is ready for me to workout lightly.

Walking, resistance training etc will be back as a part of my daily routine. Ironically, in the past two weeks, I’ve had the “urge” to walk which seems to go hand-in-hand with what I’ve learned from others.

I lost 6 pounds over the past month, had lost 12 the previous. Part of this is due to slowing the weight loss by adding more carbs 30-50 grams per day.

My nutritionist talked to me about cell-phase angles today. She said mine have been swinging from high to low so our next goal is to stabilize my exercise, hydration and see if we can keep my cell-phase angle in a smaller swing and staying in a healthier range.

I am 15 lbs away from being able to play on the Wii sport board (331 weight lb limit) and I cannot WAIT! Such an attainable goal over the next two holidays and keeps me focused on Keto.

Happy Holidays Class of 2017! KCKO

Ps. Look at the wrinkles on my neck–I LOVE them! I no longer have just a continuos blob of fat from my lips to my chest :-0 wheeeee! :raised_hands:t2::star2:

I love your post! You look SO happy. Congratulations on all of your success :grin:

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #87

@curlybri thank you!! It’s been so great to learn and grow. Happy Holidays​:raised_hands:t2::heart:

~Class of 2017! KCKO

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #88

1/5/18 Happy New Year (cough, cough)

Thanks to my increasing good Keto health, I took a flu shot for the first time in my life. 3 weeks later my body is successfully battling the flu, my symptoms are minimal so far. I’m listening to my body and getting lots of @Brenda 's Keto-aid as a hot drink, which is very yummy when you drop a Stevia in the Raw packet it in with fresh lemon.

But weirdly, right before I got sick, and all week long I have been craving carbs; cheetos, Doritos, Fritos. I usually don’t have these cravings at all.

I assume the cravings are for salt and something to settle my stomach. I had fresh yogurt this morning, my first batch from the Instant pot, but am looking to figure out what keto food I can eat to help with the cravings.

Any suggestions?

~Class of 2017 KCKO

(Sophie) #89

Why not just some broth? It’s salty and hot and would settle your tummy. Or if you want something crunchy then pork rinds, but those tend to give me indigestion sometimes. Hope you feel better!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #90

@JustPeachy thanks. I have been drinking different broths but no real results. It’s why I tried the Keto-aid thinking it must be sodium or something :frowning:

I fixed some park rinds with shredded smoked Gouda and hot sauce last night. It seemed to help. I also get indigestion from them when eaten alone! So I usually have them as the crispy element to my dishes.

Thanks!

~Class of 2017 KCKO

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #91

1/8/18

Gotta love what Keto is doing for my immune system! I just had the flu in 11 days FLAT! Usually by the 11th day I’m threatened with hospitalization by my dr for pneumonia. Instead I went shopping, and started my third batch of @richard’s Bacon😮

Hope everyone’s staying healthy!
~Class of 2017 KCKO

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #92

1/19/17 Nutritionist Check in & Body Metrics

An important concept that I gain insight from on this forum is NSV - Non-Scale Victories.

So many times in my adult life, I have battled the scale. Fear and dread for Dr visits, another admonishing look from a supposedly unbiased Medical Assistant as they take my weight during check-in, Dr’s insisting I need to eat less and exercise more.

Punishing myself by swimming laps in an outdoor pool during wintertime and then puking my guts out in the shower because I had undiagnosed pneumonia – I was afraid to go to the Dr and weigh-in!

Today, I was filled with trepidation for my Nutritionist appointment. Beating myself up because I was sure I had fallen off the Keto wagon while sick last week. Eating carbs to feel better, come on, you just gotta have cream of tomato soup occasionally. But also there were other veggie carbs I consumned in larger than normal quantities, because my body seemed to crave them.

I’m back on track this week, happily consuming beef with cheddar lunches!

Well, I held my breath when stepping on the scale. I heard my Nutritionist say,“Oh” and my heart sank. She followed with, “You’re weight is up 1/2 lb over last month on my scale.”

You see what she did there? She didn’t admonish me. She conveyed, “maybe the scale is wrong.” She gave me a positive moment. “Let’s get the body metrics” as she led me away from the scale.

I LOVED this approach and it made me feel valued, trusted for the work and effort I’ve been doing to take care of my body. It took away the stigma of the weigh-in and turned it around on its head. In a single instant she made lemonade for me, before I had a chance to beat myself up.

That’s one hell of a Nutrtionist <3

~Class of 2017 KCKO

Oh, yes, body metrics you ask?

I lost .7 lbs of fat and GAINED 1.4 of Muscle! Which was our goal–wheeee! :star2::raised_hands:t2:
I’m within 10lbs of losing my first goal of 10% body weight, I’ve lost 18.9 lbs of FAT. Yippee.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #93

2/10/18 Fasting & Me

Just listened to last year’s 2 Keto Dudes podcast with Megan Ramos. It was a great eye-opener for me about fasting.

I’ve fasted a couple of times, just to see that I could go without food. It built my confidence but also exposed my psychological issues with food.

So I backed off fasting to work on the psychology side. After listening to the podcast with Megan, it helped me to cross another bridge.

Previously I tried IF and easily moved into 16/8. I did the November Zorn Fast and went 96 hours. I was pleased I was not hungry. But I got bored as hell! I realized how much I missed “taste” and “chewing”. I didn’t miss the social aspect because I’d still hangout with people who were eating.

I also got hung up on the “rules” of fasting and obsessed as to whether I was “doing it right.”

So I skipped the next extended group fasts to see if I could just settle myself.

What inspired me from Megan was the idea that 72 hours is a good science period to fast. You Peak the human growth hormone at 72 hours.

So I feasted Friday. And now I am on a 72 hour fast. At the end of the fast I have yummy Bacon-Cheddar Fat bombs waiting for me!

Megan also inspired me to realize I have to consistently mixup my eating patterns to keep the metabolism guessing. I was in a habit of eating the same times and foods for breaking my fast each day.

So my second goal at the end of this fast is to eat at varied times. I’m actually going to schedule my food start times this week to allow my brain the comfort of mixing up the breaking of my fast.

My last goal this week is to get my macros into shape. I’ve been working on lowering my carbs, which I’ve successfully done for two weeks now. My protein has been good between .8 and 1.3 grams per lean body mass. So now it’s time to get comfy with lower fat.

Nutritionist appointment this Friday and I hope to see a decent loss this month!

KCKO ~Class of 2017

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #94

3/9/18

Stats 8/13/17 SW 377 CW 349 GW 172

Holy Toledo Batman! I’ve been caught up in life (Keto-Life) and taxes that I’m behind on my postings.

Last month I weighed in with a 3 lb weight gain. 1.5 of that being fat!

So I re-grouped and went back to the basics of eating fat to satiety. I stripped out all carbs for a few days then summer-saulted back to eating too many carbs and BAM! I was out of ketosis.

The carbs I ate were veggies and some bread crumbs on fried chicken-- not actually consuming any chips, sweets etc. those are easily out of my life.

What I call a NSV was that I did not get discouraged. I just reminded myself all the basics of encouragement I see here-

KCKO,
women lose differently on Keto,
a change in my medication (increased cytomel) and hitting up my psychologist for new ways of interpreting my struggles with food and eating.

Mentally that all seems to be working. I went through Keto Rash immediately.

I was better balanced on my macros.

I got great advice from my Dr.

I went back to the gym regularly (2x per
Week)

So next week I’ll be back into the nutritionist. Fingers crossed I’ve made the right changes to lead my body to a healthier me!

Thanks everyone!
:raised_hands:t2:
~Class of 2017

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #95

3/21/18 SW 379 CW 338 GW 172

Spring has sprung and right along with it has been my Keto progress!

After a medication change, a slight bump up in weight the previous month, I returned last Friday to my nutritionist.

She gasped when she saw I had dropped 11 pounds in the last 4 weeks. She was so excited for me, it is very gratifying to have a cheerleader!

Here are my stats:
7/31/17 379 lbs
Fasting Blood Sugar 103 and A1C of 5.7

3/16/18 338 lbs
Fasting Blood Sugar 97 and
A1C 5.2

And for any of those BMI lovers, 56 starting and now 49.9. I broke 50!

A 41-pound weight loss is amazing. Thank you so much to the Dudes, the Admins and the Community!

~Class of 2017 KCKO

(Dan Dan) #96

what did they use to calculate ?

glad you had a positive visit :smiley:

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #97

It’s a set of electrical pads on my right hand and right foot/ankle.
I’m going back this Thursday, I’ll ask her for the name of the test.

Thanks!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #98

4/17/18 #progress:non-scale-victories

Wow! The other day I was walking across the room at work. I saw my reflection in the glass and I noticed my feet were flapping in all directions, not ladylike at all.

I realized that due to my highest weight (almost 400 lbs) that I had “adapted” to my obesity by lumbering from side to side.

So I experimented by attempting the cat-walk style I used in my career of modeling for 17 years. See, I hadn’t been able to cross my legs, ankles or thighs for years. Last fall, after the first 25 lbs came off, I crossed my ankles. At 30 lbs I could cross my legs. I just had not realized I could walk normally again.

So, I cat-walked through the office, sashaying my hips with the best of them!!! Not only could I comfortably walk that way, but I was no longer stumbling. It was natural and now I’m
Sashaying my booty every day!!

Whee! Nutrition appointment tomorrow–

Class of 2017 KCKO

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #99

4/19/18 SW 379 CW 337 GW 170

So excited! I lost 1 lb this past month.

Wait, let me explain.

I’m hypothyroid and struggle with serious weight fluctuations when medication dosages are changed. This past month my Doc reduced Synthroid by 30%.

Within 24 hours, my feet swelled with edema up to three times their size. The swelling continued all the way up my ankles, calves and to my hips!

It was horrible and painful. My husband packed my ankles and feet in ice.

My doc always says to give any medication change two months, but there was no way in hell I was waiting this one out. The next day I emailed the Doc and upped my dosage 15%. But the damage was done, I continued to swell over the next three days before the new dosage slowly began to draw the edema down.

My feet and ankles are now only 1/2 size up and very little pain. So I guess I’m “in-between” dosages. My best course of action is to continue to KCKO and lose the next batch of weight which will, hopefully, bring me back into alignment so I can have skinny feet again.

So yeah, I consider myself lucky, that I lost 1lb over the last month. Thanks for listening and supporting!

~Class of 2017 KCKO

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #100

5/29/18 SW 377 CW 347 GW 170

Happy Memorial Week!

Visited my nutritionist two weeks ago. I’m up
10 pounds this month. Lucky for me, the Nutritionist does Bio-Metric readings. The breakdown was that I gained 6lbs of fat, 3 lbs of muscle and carried an extra pound of water weight.

It scared me as my Magic Keto-weight loss seemed to have stopped working. I panicked and began to feel a downward spiral of negative thinking come over me.

So I asked myself what was different in my eating this past month?

Tater tots! I opened a new corporate office in my downtown and had been lunching weekly at the burger joint around the corner. I figured tater tots once in a while wouldn’t kill my ketosis because I could fast and recover.

As with any addict, I was making backroom deals again! I had slipped on the slippery slope of addiction to carbs, a couple of planned tater tots culminated into a final week serving of Totcho’s (Tater tots with Nacho Toppings!)

Once I processed these thoughts, I asked myself, “What next? What do I do?”

Keep calm and Keto On.

I went back to my 2KetoDudes podcast to recapture the energy and focus. Ironically, I was up to the premiere podcast episode of Daisy’s “Keto-Women”

It very much helped to get back on track in my thinking and planning. I also forgave myself for eating “lazy-Keto” and headed back to the WOE that is curing my health and my life.

I’m still having higher carbs than I’d like, basically in the form of wine. As I enter my favorite white-wine drinking season, I’m focusing on enjoying being sober instead. And I’m going to be working on this topic with my psychologist next session.

Addiction is a terrible thing and I am blessed that mine is only food. This fall has helped me relate better to my sibling who is 5 years alcohol and drug free.

I better appreciate the magnitude of his battle and feel it shows me how important it is for me to fight the urges to eat carbs. I also see how one carb intake, triggers my insulin resistance.

No more deals for me. :hugs:

Thanks to my hubby of 26 years and my daughter for the support:smiley:

~Class of 2017 KCKO