KETO Class of 2017

hypothyroid
newbies

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #1

Hi,

I began 7/31/17 on Keto. I see lots of before and after pictures, but I’m not there yet. So here’s my before, 8/13/17 two weeks into Keto and down 2.4 lbs. so really no change.

I’m 5’9", 375 former athlete and model. I’ve got knees so painful I can only take 1’ steps, my miniscus repair is degrading, I’m out of breath after 5 steps and I wear 30-32.

I’ve been “fat-lifestyle-adapted” for 5 years. No, not the cool Keto Fat-adapted, but the other way. You know, shopping only from a recliner because you can’t walk across your house without sweating and gasping for air, declining invitations because you don’t want people to whisper/stare at you, trolling YELP images of businesses to ensure the seats don’t have arms…yep, I’ve been further isolating myself each year to adapt to being fat!!

I’d love to meet others who’ve started this summer and consider myself a graduate “Class of 2017” because I’ve graduated from out-of-control weight gain to a new life of health and vigor🌟

Can’t wait to show how I’m doing along the way❤️ KCKO

(VLC.MD) #2

You’ve come to the right place !

There are many ways to Keto.
And some may suit you better than others.

Www.dietdoctor.com has lots of good info.

Fasting / LCHF / IF … all good options.

Exercise isn’t a requirement for Keto … save the knees !

Counting carbs is a requirement.

Ask lots of questions.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #3

Thanks! Been on diet-doctor a bunch, and the Keto app really helped me with those fat bombs!! Love the podcasts and my instant pot recipes have been a hit with my non-Keto family​:star2::raised_hands:t2:

(Liz ) #4

I started Keto in March but I’ve been living low carb since 2003. It was only when I understood the science of Keto, though, that my life & health really started to improve. I hope you get a lot of benefits from Keto, especially reduction in pain!! I know I have. Cheering you on! (Also you are gorgeous!!)

(Doug) #5

Hi Cailyn. :slightly_smiling_face: You’re doing a good thing.

Sounds like you’re determined, like you’re not kidding yourself. Good. Have patience and find which of the many Keto ways is best for you.

4/11/17 is my start date, 58 years old, middle name should have been “Excess.” Thank goodness I began when I did.

I’m right there with you Doug, and today my middle name should still be excess. But, @Cailynq I started keto somewhere around May or June of this year…I think. I know it seems strange that I don’t have the date written on a granite tablet, but I kind of eased back into it after beginning with some IF.

I think you are definitely in the right place, there is so much info on this forum, and lots of ketonians to encourage you. Like anything, there can be ups and downs, but it’s about a lifestyle change and you’ll find just how it works for you. The individual approaches are fascinating and we all learn from each other, so I’m glad you’re here and I hope you will find some answers, healing and fun here. KETO class of 2017, Yes!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #7

Liz, very cool that simply learning the science has worked for you. My inflammation is down to almost 0! I’ve just been in the Santa Rosa Fires this past week and evacuated twice. I was so worried about what to eat, I decided to fast! It made the stress much easier to bear.

Also, as I watched my family and friends chow down on bags of potato chips, uncontrollably eating, I was calm and satiated. I realized I had to consciously choose not to stress-eat with them, but it was pretty easy. I was able to think of how my body would feel after eating chips and it was like, “Nope, don’t want to feel crappy on top of scared!”

Cheers and thanks for the note❤️

(Randy) #8

Great news Cailyn!

My journey began in March 2017. I have since went from 440 lbs to 357!
My biggest immediate issues were severe overall pain and fatigue. After one month on keto, those resolved to the point that daily life was back to normal. My blood pressure control is also much better. I have a long way to go, but finally have a road map that has light at the end of the tunnel.

Class of 2017 ROCKS!!!

(Darlene Horsley) #9

Hi Cailyn and Welcome to the class!
I’m right behind you.

I started September 5th and am loving feeling better in many ways. I so love this forum and all that it has to offer. Everyone is so kind and helpful.
By the way…I got tired of dodging fires and EQ’s so I sold my home in Cali and moved to the North GA mountains 4 years ago. Loving it here and am amazed at how much stress I left behind.
Good luck to you.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

Hope you & the family stay safe. You are doing so well and your head is in the right place. All the best to you on your Journey.
I started in Aug. '16 at 170lbs. with Atkins induction, this past March. started reading about fasting and put it into practice, before the end of April I was below my original (141lbs.)goal weight. Been in maintenance since then, so I am a gradute in 2017 I guess :joy: I eat about 50 gram of carb per day now and do IFing and an extended fast once a month. I don’t have a picture from Aug. 16, but there is a progress thread that has my highest weight facial with my current facial picutres. It is an inspiring thread be sure to check it out.

You got this.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

I acknowledged I was a sugar addict at some point in March, and without sweets in my diet started feeling so good that I eventually ended up eliminating almost all carbs from my diet. I think I went keto sometime in April or June (lots of stuff has been going on, so my memory is a bit foggy from all the stress). Anyway, I’m now down about sixty pounds or so (my scale is NOT to be trusted, so that measure of progress is always a bit vague). My pants are starting to fall off, and I need to drill some new holes in my belts.

I’m not doing it perfectly, but the results are fine with me. My primary goal is metabolic health, anyway, the weight loss is just a great added perk. (Have to admit, though, I’m loving it!)

Forgive the advice, but I strongly urge not focusing on the scale. Improve your health first, and all the rest will fall into place, including weight loss. A better measure of progress than scale weight is the shifts in your body—declining waistline, looser shirts, etc. Scale weight—mine, at least—seems to go up and down at a whim. Moreover, I am losing weight in reverse order to how I gained it, so my face is thinner and my double chin is gone, and I can see the shape of my legs again—but my belly hasn’t changed all that obviously yet, despite the lost inches. I just trust that my progress will become visible in time. After all, if you know where to look, you can almost tell that I have ribs in there! :bacon:

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #12

Very cool Randy!! I can’t wait for Christmas because I hope I’ll be sporting a size 18 dress for the holiday party!

How’s your energy now? Have you fasted yet?

~Class of 2017 KCKO
:raised_hands:t2:

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #13

Paul, how awesome that you naturally went KETO. I don’t know if I have a sugar addiction yet. The more I learn and review how I used to eat, the more I suspect I might.

I loved potatoes. And Bread. And chips. When I see my food logs before KETO, it was all salad, corn, rice and potato. I was starving and didn’t know it!

As of today, 10/16/17, I am down 4 clothing sizes. I pulled on a Jean jacket I haven’t worn in 5 years!

Thanks for the tip about not using the scale. I can get obsessive about things like that so your advice helps.

Do you still eat 3x per day?

~Class of 2017 KCKO

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #14

Wow! How cool that you were able to drop your weight quickly and safely.

The 50g of carb sound really manageable to me in the maintenance mode. I’ve really lost the “panic” I had about food. You know, “when is my next meal”, “what can I eat” and “what if there isn’t enough food?” Since the panic is gone, I sometimes even forget to plan my meals. And when I realize I don’t know what I will eat, I simply grab a piece of cheese and meat.

Thanks so much for sharing your success!

:clap:t2::woman_student:t2: Class of 2017 Grad :woman_student:t2::raised_hands:t2: KCKO

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #15

Darlene,

Thanks so much! How are you doing so far? Did you get the rash and Flu?

I used to live in North Carolina, I move to Cali to get away from the humidity! Funny how we get to choose where we live and everyone has different choices.
Looking forward to sharing with ya!

~Class of 2017 KCKO

(Randy) #16

After about 2 weeks, I started feeling better energy. But it was inconsistent as my body adapted. After a month, I was a fat burning machine!!! :smile:
What you feel mostly is consistency. No highs and lows like before. Just smooth sailing.

My longest fast is only about 30 hours. But I IF daily with an eating window usually between 2PM and 7PM.
I try to do OMAD once or twice a week.

(Darlene Horsley) #17

How funny. I love NC as well. Not too much humidity in the mountains here. Lol I lived in So. Cali and I don’t miss that traffic one bit!
I was lucky as I didn’t get the rash or flu. I did have a few days of intestinal distress but not bad. I just figured my body was ridding itself of the last vestiges of carb poisoning. Ha!
I’m doing well, have lost 12 pounds to date and am focusing on my health and
reversing my pre-diabetes diagnosis! Oddly enough Keto is also helping my insomnia. Yeeeeaaaay.
Nice to meet a fellow Cali girl and keep up the good work!

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Awesome! Great results in a short time for you too.

KCKO.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #19

@KHAN

My energy is good now, with the slight exception of stress from the Northern California Wildfires!

The day I realized I was fat-adapted, I walked the Cliffs of Mohr, almost 8K steps! This on the same day that I flew internationally, shopped at a grocery store, cooked twice and cleaned the dishes. I was back to an energy level I haven’t experienced since I was in my 20’s!

I’ve been on the 16:8 for about 10 days now. I really like how intuitive it is for me.

Do you set timers for your fasts?

:star2:~Class of 2017 KCKO

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #20

@Darlene_Horsley oh yeah, I was definitely ridding myself of a few Krispie Kremes…

Congrats on the 12 lbs! I, too, am reversing the pre-diabetes diagnosis. I’m not sure how long it might take but am enjoying the podcasts immensely. I’m only up to August of 2016, so have a long way to listen.

What are you eating for your carbs?

~Class of 2017 KCKO