KETO Class of 2017

hypothyroid
newbies

(KCKO, KCFO) #61

Keep busy when you are doing extended fasts. Some find not looking at recipes or pics of people’s meals also help. I make sure I leave the kitchen when DH is cooking his meals while I fast. I can cook them for him and not have an issue, but the smelling of the cooking when I am not cooking gets to me everytime.

My longest fast was in April, 106 hrs. I then found that 36-48 hrs. is my fasting sweet spot. I get the benefits I want and they are easy fasts.

Congrats on resisting the candy. It was never my thing, but others have a horrid time staying out of it.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #62

@collaroygal

Thanks for the tips! I’m really bouncing between nausea, hunger and crying. So it MUST be working :raised_hands:t2::joy:
~Class of 2017 KCKO

(KCKO, KCFO) #63

When you end your fast have a little bit of fat, some olives or nuts, just a few first, then about half hr. later have your meal with the family. This helps your body transition more smoothly.

I just read when you started your fast and realized, I am fasting with you, started Halloween night but I plan to go until Friday morning.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #64

@collaroygal

Yay! Fasting friends really helps.

Thanks for the tip. I have a nougatcreme /
Peanut butter / bacon fat truffle to start with…them brie-stuffed burgers planned.

36 hours with only having 2 cups of bone broth with butter, 1 cup of butter coffee and just water. I’m not hungry or headachy.

This is crazy!:open_mouth: I understand why people go longer, I can feel the addiction to the clarity and energy. Also, I slept 9 uninterrupted hours last night, which I haven’t done in years.

~Class of 2017 KCKO

I’m in the Keto Class of 2017!

I came across keto in a roundabout way. Yes, I was seriously obese, and also struggling with excessive oiliness and adult acne that my dermatologist claimed wasn’t hormonal (yeah, right). I was more worried about that than anything, initially. After trying a few treatments with minimal relief, my sister speculated I might have PCOS. (She has it.)

I scheduled an appointment with an endocrinologist. I have a family history of T2D so I was concerned about that I was going to be diagnosed as prediabetic or diabetic. The endo ruled out PCOS. She also wasn’t concerned about my insulin levels, but I was. There was a chart that showed my fasting insulin on the high side of the “normal” spectrum. The endo didn’t make anything of it, but I saw big red flashing lights that I may easily cross over into diabetic territory.

I Googled and came across the keto diet. I decided to try it. Within a few days, the excessive oiliness on my face began to clear. So did the acne. And lo and behold I was dropping weight. This prompted me to learn more and I came across the 2 Keto Dudes podcast. I’m a bit of a nerd and this science made so much sense and explained why I had been struggling with my weight and only getting bigger over time.

I started keto on May 29, 2017 (Memorial Day). I was 276 when I started. Today, a little over 5 months later, I’m weighing in at 246 pounds. Not too bad. And I actually fell way off the wagon for 2 weeks around Hurricane Irma, then spent almost the same amount of time getting back to where I was. So September was completely shot for me.

I lazy keto. I don’t count macros or calories or measure anything. I like it like that because I am eating intuitively, leaving behind my former calorie counting and food journaling neuroses, and just living and losing weight. I IF on work days. Discovered that I’m not actually hungry until afternoon and rolled with it. How long I IF varies by the day.

I’m excited to see what the end of the year brings. I want to get my fasting insulin measured again to gauge the change over the past few months.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #66

@Kikisupreme

Woohoo! Very awesome to have you join us and share your story.

I was always afraid to questions Dr’s, but not now. Your story is amazing and congrats on the excellent intuitive eating. As a beginner, and certainly full of neuroses, I log to understand more. I’m looking forward to being able to lazy Keto myself.

Here’s to the Class of 2017! :raised_hands:t2::star2: KCKO

Thanks for the warm welcome @Cailynq

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #68

WOOHOO my first ever fast was a success. I went 42 hours!

I was wondering when my fast would be over, and realized that I was thinking constantly about food, drinking water and nibbling some mozzarella didn’t sway my mind to keep fasting. So even though my goal was 48 hours, I went ahead and stopped at 42 hours to eat some cheese.

I finally sat down to dinner with the folks at 46 hours and had a delicious grilled chicken along with @richard’s creamed spinach. Though instead of chicken stock, I used the roast chicken drippings. Yum! I could hear @richard’s “nniiiiice” all the way from Australia!

The chicken was too light after fasting, I really should have had beef. But the spinach gave me a create little dose of Vitamin A which was awesome.

Now here is the thing, I’ve been having trouble sleeping. Usually waking at 4-1/2 hours, being up for 2 then back to sleep for another 1-1-/2 hrs. It’s been rough and I’ve tried amy number of suggestions which have not yet helped.

Until I fasted. I slept very deeply on the fast nights, getting 7-8 uninterrupted hours. Then, the night I broke the fast? I slept 10 uninterrupted hours! Whaaat? What in the world is my body doing?

Someone help me with the science here. If the fast truly helped my sleep, then I’m gonna fast every few weeks.

Anyone?

-Class of 2017 :star2::facepunch:t2::nerd_face: KCKO

(Richard Morris) #69

Noice! :wink:

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #70

11/13/17

I’m stuffed.

The best thing about Keto WOE is learning how to listen to your body. Previously, I was always starving, so food was a mad, obsessive scramble at all times. Finishing one meal, while planning the next. I would be in the kitchen for hours on the weekend, planning an executing 3 meals a day plus two snacks.

Since starting Keto, eating to fat satiety has shown me the eating issues I have. Once I was no longer starving from a carb heavy diet, I felt freedom from the fear of when, where my next meal was coming from.

So I’ve been going along the past three months, riding the wave of losing weight slowly, enjoying everything I eat and the wonderful energy.

Suddenly in the past two weeks, I’m over-shopping and over-eating. I’m a bit suspicious it’s a mental/emotional reaction to completing my first fast (46 hours) or is it my upcoming audit that I am completely unprepared for?

I’ve been stressing greatly about prepping for my audit, to the point of tears. Frozen with the inability to act because I had a major data loss this year and cannot locate all my electronic data (receipts, tax workbooks documenting how deductions were arrived etc.) my triple redundant backups were flawed!

So this stress has me finding I’m eating to nausea. I’m stuffed, and still eating. I’m also finding I’m eating carbs, you know, the sneaky ones.

So very glad I’m seeing a psychologist. Can’t wait to work through this with him this week. I also have my monthly nutritionist visit, am pretty sure I am going to find I gained weight vs lost over the last month.

With this community and tthe podcast, I’m grateful I’m learning to listen to my body. I’m fearful I’m aware I’m stuffing my gut with overeating, and the possible emotional triggers. Yet still I stuff…

I’ll go back to 16:8 today with compassion for my fear. Trust my body’s food signals while acknowlging my stress signals and go for a gym workout.

Any other ideas? Tips? How do you adjust your psychology of eating?

~Class of 2017 KCKO

(Arlene) #71

I keep a journal. By doing this I have noticed repeated problem areas which I can avoid in the future. I will say that fasting is something I have to be VERY careful about. I easily revert to binge eating after fasting. About the only fast I can get away with is the one that naturally occurs when I only eat when I’m hungry, which is sometimes a 24 fasting period. My mind views scheduled fasting as “self control”. As a lifelong dieter, self control means deprivation and denial of joy, all relying on whatever will power I have for a brief period of time. For me, I do best when I eat when I’m hungry, stop when I’m full, don’t eat till I’m hungry again. IF I fee a need for an emotional snack, even though I am not hungry I will choose something fun like frying up some cheese, or pork rinds, or some macadamia nuts.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #72

Thanks Arlene @farmgirl

That helps. What I’m discovering is knowing I’m not hungry and am successfully losing weight on Keto–but still eating. It’s so purely psychological that I am glad alive become aware of this pattern.

Also, I agree about the possibility of binging after fasting. I reviewed my logs over the last month and ironically, every wednesday I eat more calories/hidden carb foods. So I’m seeing this cycle that I plan to address with my team this week.

Fingers crossed!
~Class of 2017 KCKO

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #73

11/17/17

Whoa! 23 lbs down, 15.6 of fat alone.

I realize I’m going slowly, what I’ve read from most is that women are different the way they lose weight on Keto. I lost 13 lbs in the first two months and then 10 this past month. So obviously my body is beginning to be attuned to this WOE.

I struggled with many psychological issues this past month, definitely stress ate and was convinced I was gaining because what better thing to do than beat yourself up emotionally?

My nutritionist screamed when she saw my weight loss, she’s loving my Keto results and weekly reviewing my Lose It reporting. She is completely supportive of my first Zornfast too!

Thanks everybody, for being so helpful and honest.
:raised_hands:t2:
~Class of 2017 :star2: KCKO

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #74

11/29/17

Just a quick note, I loved loved loved the Zornfast. I’ll be definitely doing it again this month.

I found my energy levels during the fast are “cleaner” and “brighter” feeling. Very similar to the euphoria I would feel during a “manic” phase of mild bi-polar disorder.

So do I really have minor bi-polar? Or are my “manic” times when I’m Keto, and my “depressive” times when I’m not?

Very interesting theory…

30 lbs down and my nutritionist is identifying food patterns. She’s helping to guide my eating to better balance. In lieu of shooting for OMAD, right now she is working with me increasing my greens and lowering my other carbs to give me more fiber satiation.

I just wanted to say my insulin resistance discovery has been life-changing. And so has 2KetoDudes Podcast and this amazing community on the KetogenicForum.

From the bottom of my newly svelte chin and heart, I thank ya’ll!!

~Class of 2017 :star2: KCKO

(Doug) #75

That’s a good way to say it, Cailyn. As to certain foods being “depressive” - for some of us I’m sure it’s true. Bogged down, struggling to deal with what we’ve eaten.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #76

12/1/17 #NSV #Friday
My wedding ring fits after 5 years :raised_hands:t2: :heart:

And DRUMROLL please…I am wearing a size 2X top a friend bought for me because she noticed my weight loss and wanted to be supportive :heart:

Woohoo! and how was your week Class of 2017?

KCKO ~Class of 2017 :star2:

I am back to keto and SO happy to see your progress, Cailyn! Good for you!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #78

@curlybri welcome back! I’m having a blast, am doing my Zornfast early this month. Next week I have too much going on (potential jury duty) and attended a party this week where the only offering was carbs. I wasn’t prepared so I ate some pasta alfredo(luckily LOTS of sauce!) so I just started my fast when I finished eating, plan to go 72 hours.

Whee! Love the fast feeling.

~Class of 2017! KCKO

I’m fasting regularly now (23:1), too! I’ve been following OMAD for the past 3 weeks and just restarted keto a couple of days ago. Good luck with your extended fast!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #80

@curlybri. Oh 23:1, wow. I’m still too interested in food to go to OMAD. I’ve been doing 16:8. When I tried to go to 20:4, I just wasn’t psychologically ready. I get going up and down on eating patterns, starving and binging. So I figured out I need to go slower between eating changes. After this fast I’ll be gooong right back into 16:8.

Cheers!

~Class of 2017! KCKO