Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

(Karim Wassef) #622

yes… that second video is what I was talking about when I said “if you want to give lab rats cancer, give them just Leucine”

I do think that there is a massive difference between chronic mToR and transient mToR.

One makes cancer, the other makes muscle.

(PJ) #623

Defining that rather seems like the crux though. Is chronic ‘three meals a day’ or merely ‘every day’ or ‘more than 12 hours a day’ or…

(Karim Wassef) #624

carbs have an insulin response and it all depends on how quickly they’re absorbed… also in combination with protein, they tend to be very high and very long in duration.

fats have a very subdued effect… in fact, they tend to smear out the insulin response of other foods.

(PJ) #625

The back of my brain is reminding me that if you subject plants to 50-60Hz frequencies, they grow like crazy, so it seems good for them. But if you subject humans to that ongoing it’s a bad result, because it creates stimulation, which “when chronic” = inflammation. The dose makes the poison.

(Karim Wassef) #626

well, Leucine as an amino acid has a very short insulin spike and while it gets muscle building going, the effect is transient.

carbs on the other hand have a very long insulin spike … chronic

(Karim Wassef) #627

Nick - I promised to share what my macros (and calories) were before this fast… so here it is

I kept my fat high and 101g of protein is decent and I did pig out on the carbs with 51… but 3100 calories overall.

Carnivore claims about plant foods
(Karim Wassef) #628

Here’s my plan for the refeed. I had to add a lot of pea powder to get there. High protein is REALLY hard on vegan…

and I still fell short of the goal. I just don’t think I can creatively add more than 15 tablespoons of pea powder to my intake in a day… There’s only so much babyfood I can handle!!

Carnivore claims about plant foods
(PJ) #629

Wow that’s an effort!

Pea powder, despite I love peas and have no reaction to them, made my rectum ‘crawl.’ A horrific experience I never want to have again. I had to have it twice – first in the 5-kinds-of-protein-powder blend I had made for myself, and then again while experimenting with each one alone to figure out what the hell was causing such a horrible reaction. :laugh:

I recently got some “pumpkin seed” protein powder. It is pumpkin spice ‘flavor’ (has erythritol). It’s also a supplement, has a lot of sea supps in it.

I fear I’d have to live on onions-mushrooms-garlic-ginger (some with soy sauce perhaps) saute’d with spices. Damn shame no butter or ghee of course. But if I didn’t have some form of sweetener, I couldn’t even make avocado chocolate mouse out of that mess. :smile:

(Karim Wassef) #630

Thanks. I haven’t had pea powder before. It’s a vegan bodybuilder thing and I’m a carnivore… but life is about new experiences… short, memorable, sometimes uncomfortable, experiences…

After fasting for 5 days, I think I’ll manage through it…

I usually go for 0.7g / lb of lean mass for protein which would have been 0.7 x 140 ~ 100g … so this is 80% more (nearly double).

I also allowed myself more carb - but my fat is high!

(Karim Wassef) #631

Day 5, cycle 2, phase 2

2 lbs down

This is the lowest weight this fast (both phase 1 and 2). Given that there’s really no more food flux or water to lose, that’s 2lbs of body mass in one form or another. I’m expecting it’s a reduction in stomach size and other non-muscle lean mass.

Still, even if it’s half fat, losing 1 lb of lean mass in a day is rough and yesterday felt very rough. I even had an uneasy feeling before bed that I should break the fast and eat something. It wasn’t hunger - more a sense of “gone too far”…

I powered through it since that would have made the results less meaningful and it was only 18 hours from the end anyway.

Maybe it’s my imagination, but it looks like the second cycle gets pretty close to a reasonable continuation of the first cycle? Maybe one pound of difference due to the refeed:

I am seeing definite improvement in loose skin around the belly. Monday I will reveal all.

I think this is the first time my morning blood glucose was under 50… 0.46GKI.

About 10 hours from eating and still dry fasting till 1pm (6 hours) so that’s not going to be fun… but I will uphold Friday traditions and power through this too. Might need some encouragement though.

Feels like Sisyphus… almost got the rock to the top… 10 more hours till I can let it drop

(PJ) #632

Love that pic!

You’ve really done an awesome job. You and Nick are downright inspirational.

Looking forward to the report on the skin efforts.

(Windmill Tilter) #633

I should have know you were a closet existentialist… :laughing:

Also from Camus’ “Myth of Sisyphus”

On all essential problems (I mean thereby those that run the risk of leading to death or those that intensify the passion of living) there are probably but two methods of thought: the method of La Palisse and the method of Don Quixote.

(Karim Wassef) #634

Ok. Cycle 2 fasting done… in a few minutes, I’ll measure and see the result of that 3000cal meal. Frankly, I haven’t been able to get all the pea protein powder down yet.

I made a delicious soup with it, but I’m literally uncomfortably stuffed… can’t eat or drink another thing and wish I was still fasting… arghh

Still, the refeed is just as important as the fast…

(Karim Wassef) #635

ok…feeling better.

Before eating 58G, 6.6K = 0.49GKI
After eating 57G, 4.0K = 0.79GKI

So dropped 2.6 ketones in about one hour after eating ~3000 calories. Interesting that there’s almost no glucose reaction after such a massive meal.

I’m going to continue drinking my pea protein powder soup… it’s actually delicious so I’m going to actually double up on the protein tomorrow.

Here’s my recipe:

I start by sauteing half a cup of chopped onions and a tablespoon of chopped pickled ginger in avocado oil with salt and pepper. When the onions are golden, I add a teaspoon of coconut cream and a teaspoon of vegetable stock… get it all nice and liquid and then add water to a boil… then I add 8 tablespoons of the pea powder, one at a time and stir until it’s all mixed.

This is what I use:

ok…ok… I have one more “secret ingredient” - a few drops of umami

(Karim Wassef) #636

Day 6 of cycle 2, phase 2 - refeeding

So another record broken with ~9.5lbs of weight gain in 24hrs. I don’t think this would be repeatable on carnivore since vegan has so much fiber and requires so much water to process. The thirst was unbearable.

I ended last night at 72G, 4.0K = 1.0GKI so I’ve learned how to quickly jump out of autophagy and it was the very very high protein…

Love the soup, but I’ll be adding hemp to it today to make it denser.

Digestion was “erratic” but no real issues.

Lots of energy… I’ll post more results

(Karim Wassef) #637

So down to 0.71 GKI from 1.0 last night. I don’t know if I want to do OMAD today so I can rebuild faster. It is strange to eat in the middle of the day. My brain is feeling that it’s taboo - eating lunch…

I think I’m going to make a massive protein shake instead…

Weird observation after my long fasts … chewing is actually a lot of work. I’ve had times midmeal when I needed to give my jaw a break.

(Karim Wassef) #638

I made my 1000 cal protein shake this morning to get a boost of 41g of protein. Here’s the makeup - maybe I went heavy on fat? LOL

Also in that combo is a teaspoon of frozen broccoli sprouts, coffee, a tablespoon of ACV and a squirt of Stevia… it was pretty good.

(Karim Wassef) #639

Also managed a couple of large cups of pea powder soup with 16 tablespoons of the stuff

That’s 500 calories with 96g of protein and 12g of fat… so total for the day is 137g of protein

May have overdone it since I have a headache, the kind I associate with an insulin spike … but that’s kind of expected with that level of protein. I’ll measure and report back.

(Karim Wassef) #640

Interesting results…
before my protein excursion, I was at 71G, 4.4K = 0.90 GKI
immediately after 100g of protein, I’m at 72G, 4.7K = 0.85 GKI

maybe I didn’t wait long enough, but it seems that my body’s response is more ketogenic, not less. Might be similar to Dr Bikman’s results where protein in a low glucose, high ketone (glucagon-driven) state makes the body tip even more towards glucagon.

Certainly no gluconeogenesis from the dietary protein based on this. I’ll have dinner in a couple of hours so I’ll measure before and after that as well.

Isn’t that exciting?

(PJ) #641

We’ll see. :wink: