Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

(Karim Wassef) #542

I really don’t think so. I was in for an hour and they took their time setting up and there was no one after or even before me… The device had it’s own timer.

But I’ll check it out and see if they’ll let me take a picture.

(Karim Wassef) #543

Leucine while or after fasting:

conclusion: the high rate of leucine oxidation previously found during exercise was increased further by a 3.5-day fast.

conclusion: According to 1 study, dietary supplementation of the leucine metabolite beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) 3 g/day to humans undertaking intensive resistance training exercise resulted in an increased deposition of fat-free mass and an accompanying increase in strength. Muscle proteolysis was also decreased with HMB, accompanied by lower plasma levels of enzymes indicating muscle damage and an average 50% decrease in plasma essential amino acid levels. Furthermore, BCAA supplementation (76% leucine) in combination with moderate energy restriction has been shown to induce significant and preferential losses of visceral adipose tissue and to allow maintenance of a high level of performance.

conclusion: Leucine is now known to interact with the insulin-signaling pathway with apparent modulation of the downstream signal for control of protein synthesis, resulting in maintenance of muscle protein during periods of restricted energy intake. Leucine also appears to modulate the insulin signal and glucose use by skeletal muscle. While total protein is important in providing substrates for gluconeogenesis, leucine appears to regulate oxidative use of glucose by skeletal muscle through stimulation of glucose recycling via the glucose-alanine cycle. These mechanisms appear to provide a stable glucose environment with low insulin responses during energy-restricted periods.

conclusion: LWH and HMB have superior anabolic effects on muscle protein kinetics after 36 h of fasting, and LWH distinctly activates the mTOR pathway. These novel findings suggest that leucine-rich whey protein and/or HMB are specifically beneficial during fasting-induced catabolic conditions.

(PJ) #544

But… but… if you take leucine, it doesn’t take you OUT of the ‘fast’ and hence could not measure the “fasting-induced” conditions? Isn’t that the going theory?

Each trial included a 36 h fast and consisted of a 3 h basal fasting period and a 4 h ‘sipping’ period.

I admit I don’t understand what that means. So this was ‘after’ the fast?

(Karim Wassef) #545

My interpretation is that Leucine is anabolic and preserves muscle during fasting. It doesn’t stop catabolism, but it stops the catabolism from impacting the lean muscle, and so it accelerates the fat burning instead.

I’m sharing because it’s always better for more people to look at the sources…

I have been taking the Leucine while fasting and feeding. It’s always 0.8g in the morning and 4.0g before eating (refeed) or after a workout (fasting).

It does make me very thirsty and I am pretty sure it’s driving an insulin spike, albeit is a very short one. I recognize this as sudden sleepiness… but it goes away in 30 mins or so.

That’s one of the big differences between Leucine and Carbs. They Leucine actually makes ketones when metabolized… AND it make Acetyl CoA for energy… AND it creates an insulin spike that is anabolic. It’s unique among the amino acids.

(Karim Wassef) #546

Hmmm… well… day 1 of phase 2, cycle 2

Almost no weight gain from last nights refeed with the final tally at 12lbs two day gain from 172 to 184.

Now that’s interesting because that’s almost the exact same weight lost over the 5 day fast where I lost 11lbs.

I wonder if this week’s 5 day fasting will repeat the sawtooth cycle again.

(Karim Wassef) #547

Last night, I decided to eat a second meal since my ketones haven’t been dropping much… no Leucine either… and ketones crashed hard from 3.9 to 0.9

So last night ended at 81G, 0.9K = 5.0GKI
This morning, woke up to 77G, 2.0K = 2.1GKI

Since I’m trying to target 3.0 ketones, I looked back over the weekend while refeeding and it looks like eating three days is about right before dropping out - here are the ketone readings:

And here’s the day 1 starting line (phase2, cycle2)

(Karim Wassef) #548

I can’t find any before pics so here’s the closest when I was about 220… and it’s not much but I’m in the blue shirt.

And today in the gym

Not sucking in my gut either. I do vacuums but this is not sucked, tightened or vacuum… focused on arms.

I’m not good at selfies… so that’s the best I know how to do.

Biggest overall change is my waist size from 46 to 32 (so far)

And I know my shoulders are worthless but I had a shoulder injury and just couldn’t train.

(Karim Wassef) #549

Pre-gym 78G, 3.3K = 1.3 GKI
Post-gym 70G, 1.3K = 3.0 GKI

@Dread1840 I know you’re not a fan of measuring, but this is one way I track my “effort”

That 2.0 ketone drop was over an hour. I see that as a fat burn calculation for each of my workout events… or any physical stressor… ice, UV, sauna.

It’s an interesting way of tracking the intensity of the physical exertion… 2 ketone / hour consumption feels decent.

It happens when I eat too, but for different reasons.

Over time, my body adapts though and starts being able to do more with less and that lets me know that I need to up the intensity to keep it pushed.

We don’t have many bio markers so this is useful for my n=1.

(Windmill Tilter) #550

Damn @Karim_Wassef, you’re looking jacked! :+1::+1::+1:

Whatever you’re doing workout wise, it’s working for you. I would have guessed 19%-20% BF based on the picture. What bodyfat % are you targeting? I know you mentioned somewhere but I’ve since forgotten.

(Karim Wassef) #551

I’m targeting 12% by May but it’s not looking good.

Fasting for 19 days… DEXA said that’s I lost 7lbs of real fat and went from 25% to 22.5%. The “scale” said I’m 23% this morning and that should be a good reading since I ate over the weekend.

I don’t feel 23%… whatever that means…:laughing:

(PJ) #552

Well I think you look fabulous. But I’m just some chick on the internet… :smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #553

Thanks for the support. I still have a ways to go.

I was hoping the extended fast would get me there sooner rather than later, but we’ll try the cycle fast for two weeks. If I don’t see the benefits, I might go for another extended fast for the rest of April.

(Karim Wassef) #554

I think there is a loss of lean mass with any weight loss path… just a matter of degree. Keto is just less destructive vs. other weight loss mechanisms.

With fasting, there is mass loss… the question is still whether the lean mass returns on a refeed.

(PJ) #555

:frowning:

I would still feel better if I’d seen ref to more studies that considered the next two weeks of refeeding to be ‘part of’ the fasting protocol so the rebound is part of the data.

(Omar) #556

my observation is that the lean mass will return

The fear I read about of loosing lean mass makes me confused

(Karim Wassef) #557

It isn’t fear. It’s a concern given the mass lost on my long fast.

I’m looking to drive recomposition with more muscle and less fat to minimize bf% to get to 12%… I can gain muscle and fat… and I can lose muscle and fat… but I want to gain muscle and lose fat. :slight_smile:

(Kirk Wolak) #558

Karim,
I have been a MWF (ADF) type person for many months.
I am trying to lose the last 10lbs, down to 190, and it is very slow going (lots of food reactions).
I need to restrict my feeding windows a bit more, and be tighter on my controls.

But I am trying a M&F eating schedule this week… I think the 3 day fast, eating, and a 2 day fast will really help. I will actually REGULATE my calories a little bit. Normally I eat until full. And that HAS BEEN 3lbs of Bacon or 1lb of Pork Sausage in the morning and a Big Steak in the evening.

I am 99% carnivore, allergic to eggs and dairy.

Thoughts on the value of the 3 day vs. 2 day of fasting?

At which point do you think it is not enough eating during the week?
(I am giving myself until April 30th to get to 190), which is 2lbs/wk… But I feel like I could be fighting against a weight my body hasn’t seen in 30 years!

(Omar) #559

I did not mean you about the fear

but wherever I read or listen to videos, they always warn about muscle loss like if it were irreversible.

(Karim Wassef) #560

Kirk,

Here’s how I see it… your body has been building up in preparation of a period where there won’t be any food. It’s been preparing to fast - all our lives. And then, when you need it, it’ll know what to do to keep you alive.

This is why I don’t fear fasting. This is how our ancestors survived some really really bad times. It’s why we’re here. When you don’t give your body food, it knows what it’s supposed to do…

As far as how to fast, or how long to fast, or how to feast… This is very individual. I didn’t even know my own body until I started measuring its response to things. In fact, I continuously don’t know my own body because it is constantly changing and adapting to the things I do to it… it’s a wily one!!

2 days fasting? frankly… I don’t consider it fasting. For the first day, you’re really still living off the food you ate. For the second day, your gut is still fermenting… Unless you exert a lot of energy, you’re not really tapping into much with 2 days. That’s the case for me, anyway…

I think 3 days fasting is a good base for me. Basically, it’s one day of real fasting for the reasons above… It usually takes me 3 days to get into deep keto unless I really hit the gym, sauna, UV, and cold packs to burn off energy… that’s why I do 5 days.

As far as regulating calories on refeed. I think it’s ok as long as you get your protein in. I consider 0.7g / lb of lean muscle as basic protein to avoid losing muscle. If you want to limit fat, that’s up to you… but I’m not a fan of caloric restriction and especially not with fasting. You need to cut your body a break so it “works” with you.

When you play - play hard (eat to satiation)… when you work - work hard (fast to empowerment)… I’m just not middle of the path. I get there by cycling and I use measurements to guide me.

But that’s my way - you will need to find yours. You can start with your proposed plan and measure your progress and iterate. But I will tell you that the scale is pretty meaningless as an absolute… it’s a directional marker… I consider DEXA to be the more valid measure.

And I wish I had an RMR because I do believe that it is an important indicator of long term metabolic health… but we each do what we can.

(Karim Wassef) #561

bodybuilders are always afraid of losing muscle… they work so hard to gain it… and when they diet down, they usually lose so much weight and a lot of it goes down the drain… lean muscle and fat … to get shredded.