Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

(Karim Wassef) #15

Ok. I’ve been eating 6000cal per day for a week and have actually managed to get from 175 to 195 in 8 days! I was lifting every other day (busy week).

Dexa result:
194.4lb total
48.4lb fat
140.3lb lean
24.9% bf

Yikes!! :frowning:

Talk about being an endomorph…

Fine- I’m just getting started :slight_smile:

Predicted RMR = 1730
Measured RMR = 2360

Low activity expected RMR = 2600
Active expected RMR = 3190

Going to run some math…

(Karim Wassef) #16

ok… target 12% bodyfat at 140.3lb lean ~ 157lb so…

That’s 37lb of fat (194-157) that I can burn for energy while fasting.
That’s 37lb x 453.6g/lb ~ 16,900g
That’s 16,900g x 9cal/g ~ 152,000 cal
If I’m active burning 3190 cal/day, then I have a reserve of 152,000 cal / 3190 cal/day ~ 48 days

Wow - ok…

So the fast starts on Monday 3/4 but I’m going to take a starter fast of 3 days - Mon 3/4, Tue 3/5, Wed 3/6 and eat a vegan meal once on 3/6. This is just to prime myself.

Then Thursday 3/7 to Friday 3/22, I will fast and have another Dexa Scan to see if the results line up with my math. That’s 15 days. If the results align, then I’ll continue for another 14 days until Friday April 12th when I plan another scan and decide if I’ll eat or continue on. The next Milestone is Sunday April 28th when I plan to break the fast for this year.

I wish you nothing but the best luck with your fast. I’m a little confused about your numbers.

I ran your numbers through the calculations using the the limit on the maximum energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia spreadsheet. Starting day one you will be limited to around 1,519.80 cal/day energy from 48 lbs of fat, losing capacity daily to around 728.36 cal/day (23 lbs fat) by the 48th day. It will be interesting to see how your numbers actually look throughout this fast and where they finally end up at Best of luck, I’m rooting for you and will be following.

(Karim Wassef) #18

thank you.

I don’t expect the hypophagia study to apply to keto adapted fasting. The data will show it one way or the other.

Also - I gained 30lbs from my lowest weight of 165 while remaining in ketosis every day. This was actually quite difficult. I’ll track weight and bf% as well and multiple ketone and glucose measures per day.

Bizarre GKI
(Karim Wassef) #19

ok.

Day 1
25% (bf%)
193.2 lb (total)
144.9 lb (lean)
0.4 (morning ketones) -> 1.8 (night ketones)
82 (morning glucose) -> 73 (night glucose)

I’m going to wait a couple of days and update my GKI index. Here’s a quick view of the last time I updated it:

This will show up as the LENT fast (40)

after day 1… a GKI drop from 11.4 to 2.3 in 16 hours… woohoo!

(Windmill Tilter) #20

You posted this over on another thread, but I didn’t want to thread-jack over there particularly since the OP seemed so distressed about her post-adf satiety signals. This seemed like a more appropriate place to discuss feasting/fasting/RMR.

Suffice to say you’re results RMR test result is pretty stunning. The only other person I’ve seen with an RMR that high was over at the IDF forum, and he’d been doing 2feast:5fast for 5 months with big refeeds. We were trying to figure out how many standard deviations above the mean he was. The best study I could find of people his approximate weight/height with RMR’s that high was this one on the Australian National Rowing Team. They had a mean of 2200 kcal/day. You’ve got an Olympic level RMR my friend.

What was the feasting schedule like leading up to the test? 6000kcal/day is some pretty serious feasting indeed. I’ve yet to crack 5500kcal, and it’s not for lack of trying. :grinning:

P.S., that’s an awesome chart. Is that a custom one you’ve made or is that prebuilt by the KetoTester? Either way it makes me tempted to buy a Keto tester and log some data during my own fasting.

(Karim Wassef) #21

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea. I’ll study up more!

My usual is 3000-3500 cal when I lift and 2800-3000 when I don’t.

It’s my own chart in excel. I use my iPhone to track my data and then I send it to myself and then load it into the excel. It’s due for an update soon.

(Karim Wassef) #22

Day 2
23.6% (bf%)
186.2 lb (total)
142.3 lb (lean)
0.6 (morning ketones) -> 1.1 (night ketones)
73 (morning glucose) -> 51 (night glucose)

My scale registers these massive jumps in body fat, but I suspect it’s just water-filled adipose fat that flush once I start the fast. But aparently, I went from 25% to 23.6% bf in 24hrs. I also went from 193.2lb to 186.2lb… so 7lb in one day (yes, there was a lot of pee).

The one that bothers me is the “lean” weight loss from 144.9lb to 142.3lb… so 2.6lbs of non-fat. Again, I don’t think it’s really muscle loss. I expect it’s the water loss from the glycogen depletion in my muscles…(yes, more pee).

(Windmill Tilter) #23

Subscribed… :slight_smile:

(Mel Simpson) #24

Are you still doing this?

(Karim Wassef) #25

Yes. I’m only on my third day. I may actually stop tonight and restart tomorrow.

I have a business obligation that I can’t avoid and I see a benefit in some olive oil and fibrous salad to clear out my digestive system. Almost zero calorie but I’ll still consider it a break & restart the official count tomorrow.

(Karim Wassef) #26

Day 3
22.9% (bf%)
182.8 lb (total)
140.9 lb (lean)
0.6 (morning ketones) -> 1.0 (night ketones)
81 (morning glucose) -> 71 (night glucose)

Another big day of flushing water… 10.4lb in 2 days, with 4lbs of that “lean” ~ glycogen and 6.4lbs “fat” ~ adipose cells. So it artificially looks like a 2.1% bf% reduction.

(Doug) #27

It’s great to see the data you’re generating, Karim. Nice blood sugar numbers. :sunglasses:

(Karim Wassef) #28

Thanks. I’ll get to plotting it on my GKI timeline this weekend. Too few data points till then.

(Doug) #29

On the lean mass loss - I’d think the glycogen-depleting effect would only go so far. We store 400 to 600 grams of glycogen, and even if every molecule has 3 water molecules with it, it’s still only a total of 600 to 900 grams then (with water having almost exactly 1/6 the atomic mass of glycogen) - so perhaps an upper limit of 2 lbs here?

Water loss in general, as a little from blood volume and most from intracellular spaces, likely 5 to 6 lbs. before you’re going to really start feeling it - faintness or tiredness. Much of this could be seen by a scan as lean tissue, depending where it is. It would also be limited by electrolyte supplementation.

(Karim Wassef) #30

I’ve been eating pink salt, Mg, K and I supplements as fast as I can… and still 4lb of lean weight loss in 2 days.

I know its not muscle loss… Urine would be discolored if it was… amino acids

It’s a beautiful straw yellow (TMI I know) :smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #31

Ok. Survived my business obligation fasted!! Woohoo

So that makes today Day 4…

Day 1
25% (bf%)
193.2 lb (total)
144.9 lb (lean)
0.4 (morning ketones) -> 1.8 (night)
82 (morning glucose) -> 73 (night)

Day 2
23.6% (bf%)
186.2 lb (total)
142.3 lb (lean)
0.6 (morning ketones) ->1.1 (night)
73 (morning glucose) -> 51 (night)

Day 3
22.9% (bf%)
182.8 lb (total)
140.9 lb (lean)
0.6 (morning ketones) -> 1.0 (night)
81 (morning glucose) -> 71 (night)

Day 4
22.6% (bf%)
181.8 lb (total)
140.7 lb (lean)
1.1 (morning ketones) -> 1.9 (night)
68 (morning glucose) -> 61 (night)

Finally- took 3 days to break through the water and glycogen and get into real ketosis again. I think the 3 days a week fasting has made my body resilient so it now stores that much in non-fat to ease through that weekly fasting routine.

Only 1lb lost in the last day and only 0.2lb of that was lean … also today’s the first day with morning ketones over 1.0 and glucose below 70. I would say that this makes day 4 the first true day of biological fasting - that’s my opinion anyway.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #32

I just got my Keto Mojo the other day. Which one do you use? I’m stoked to have it because I’m still at the beginning and it’s very interesting logging and seeing patterns, if any. This morning I was 1.8 which I was happy with. Yesterday I got to 2.1, also very happy with. My body usually does stupid things, and slowly, so I figured I’d be one of those people stuck at like .4 all the time. Not so! :metal:

(Karim Wassef) #33

I get into the zone when I fast. My highest was 7.2 after 12 days.

Our bodies are wired to save energy. Mine literally tracks everything I do and tries to optimize constantly. It’s very smart and I have to actively mess with it to get it uncomfortable.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #34

Wow that’s awesome!!! I havent EF’'d in a bit, but I’m happy that while IF 20/4 I Hover around 1.8-2.2. As soon as I feel more fat adapted I’m going to do an EF. Used to never be able to do them while eating copious amounts of carbs. I was like Satan and no one wanted to deal with me lol