Just the top of the pizza

Okay here is a ridiculous question that I am kind of curious about…

A large slice of New york-style cheese pizza. If you just scrape off the cheese and whatever residue of sauce and whatnot is attached to the cheese, and eat that and throw out all of the dough/crust. What do you think we are looking at carb wise?

Obviously not something I would ever plan on eating haha, but was just imagining a scenario where I’m at a party and all there is is pizza and I got to eat something. It seems like it could potentially do the trick…

Would depend very much on the other toppings (veg etc…) but the crust is the killer. FWIW I frequently read about people doing it :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah for the sake of simplifying the question I’m talking about just a cheese pizza slice with no other toppings

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Not an original thought at all :grin:! In theory I think it’s okay. I live in America and I am hard pressed to think of high carb commonly used pizza toppings other than sun dried tomatoes, bbq sauce or pineapple. But those are pretty obvious. In theory I would say yes, especially if you’ve been at this a while are are knowledgeable about what’s keto and what’s not. Eat too much and you’ll go over on just the pizza sauce. Usually it has added sugar and tomato paste in it. Lots of garlic and onion can also add up quickly with Italian sauces.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #5

I’ve actually done this a couple times before at parties where all that was served was pizza, not weird at all!

(less is more, more or less) #6

Oh, I love the pizza scrape.

It’s not an all you can eat proposition, since the sauce is carby, but it’s better than nothing. So one, max two scrapes. It’s difficult to get an accurate count of carbs, since its difficult to peg quantities.

Just scrape and stop at two. Slam the crust in the trash.

Nice. That seems like a solid option in a pinch

(Janelle) #8

We do this once a month or so. The pizza place down the street has a special that is like 5 meats and some olives. We scrape off the toppings and the dogs get a few “pizza bones” before we chuck the rest.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

I did that pre keto. Everyone thought I was nuts by not eating the crust.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #10

For pizza lovers someone mentioned on another thread that some pizza places will bake just the toppings in a pan, no crust.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #11

I’ve done this too. Watch out for pesky crust stickies and most of the time the sauce has a bunch of sugar so wipe it down!

Woaaahhhh…

(Empress of the Unexpected) #13

Can’t hurt to ask!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

If you search for Fathead or Carl’s Head pizza, you will find recipes for a crust made of cheese, egg, and nut flour. It’s pretty tasty, and very satisfying.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #16

I’m not a crusty person. :rofl::rofl:

(Bob M) #17

I find Fathead pizza to be way too much cheese for me. It’s a cheese base, then you add cheese to that. I’m going to try this instead:

(Chris) #18

I do the “scrape” with no shame. I even have “recipes” involving the scrape. Pizza omletes, pizza burgers, pizza pork rind nachos

(Scott) #19

What? No bacon?

I have never done pizza…but I have gone as far as chewing agadeshi tofu (fried battered Japanese tofu appetizer), sucking out the bean curd innards and spitting out the battered casing!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #21

The best pizza :muscle: :metal: