June 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Tamela Robinette) #202

So I broke yesterday at 19 hours because I was just so flipping hangry and felt like I needed to listen to my body because I workout so hard and my muscles were so sore. I had a hearty breakfast of eggs, bacon and a link of smoked sausage and then 6 hours later some chicken wings and blackberries & raspberries with whipped topping for dessert and I felt so much better when I woke up this morning, slept well and my soreness is tons better. Currently a little over 13 hours. Planning on working in the yard today. It’s supposed to be a beautiful day with sunshine. It feels like it’s been monsoon season here for the past 2 weeks. Happy fasting all!

(Jane) #203

Great start on your numbers. I started this fast pretty low - ketones 0.4 - but bounced right back to my normal fasting numbers pretty quick.

I think you are right about our metabolic health improving in that we burn up the carbs and bounce right back.

Almost 60 hours in and this is my last day to fast until next week.

I won’t be fasting at all next month, unless a short 36-hr fast with my husband. I’ll either be working from home or in Houston with consultants in tow so that means hosting dinners. Or taking my sons and their families out to dinner. I’ll probably skip some lunches to make up for dinners I have little control over.

I don’t usually test a lot myself, but I was actually speaking with my wife about this testing the other day, just before I started my Fast. So it’s been many months since I’ve tested anything. … But I tested mine to show her the number & this was around the 24 hr. mark. It showed 0.7 BK and I even did BG, which was BG 86 … I then re-tested last night, before eating, and it showed BK 2.6 @ 71.5 hrs. Fasted. … I was just showing her how the numbers do go up whilst Fasting. Didn’t re-check BG because I had used the last one, so actually purchased more of both, which is scheduled to be here today or tomorrow. … Told her that I would probably do a 5 day fast in the next couple weeks, and that I would go ahead and do a full testing of both, for that entire time just to see the results. But again, something I don’t do much.

I also want to try the Carb up experiment I recently mentioned and think some testing during that might be interesting as well. - So might do this to see how things look while doing that. But then probably back to normal Fasting and just letting things happen. She does like to check hers periodically and I think she generally gets a little higher numbers then I get normally, but I don’t pay much attention to this since I do know this also has to do with the person, how well their body uses Ketones, etc. So basically I don’t like the thought of chasing numbers, but understand you will see higher numbers during Fasting.

(Jane) #205

61 hours in and no hunger - just empty feeling. Got real stressed last night over company emails and doing last minute adjustments to capital requests before it routes to the board of directors and a deadline looming… ugh.

I was tempted to break my fast but no food in my hotel and didn’t want to go get anything. Nothing good to eat around here anyway so another factor. Just told myself to get over it and suck it up, Buttercup.

Mid-morning numbers:
BG: 65
BK: 5.0
GKI: 0.72
Boz: 13

Almost at my 43hr mark on my first EF on Keto, actually feeling so much better this morning than I did yesterday. Had water and about 4oz black coffee yesterday (not so addictive when it doesn’t have HWC lol), also crunched a few sprinkles of sea salt in the evening. I definitely feel calmer when fasting, it’s weird, but it’s like I can’t have a stress reaction no matter what (and I’m a pretty “passionate” Italian girl…constantly working on keeping my emotions in check lol)…

(Andrew) #207

Somehow I missed this thread. No wonder EF is so quiet.

I’m on day 5. New personal best. I’m hungry. Very jealous of everyone who loses their hunger so quickly. When I’m not fasting i wake up starving, so something is broken in the hunger department.

Somehow I lost 3.3 lbs yesterday. I don’t know where all this water is hiding. I’ve gone from 262 to 248. My ankles are so skinny (not that they were ever big).

BK holding in the 4’s after 72 hrs. BG was finally under 100 after 3 days. I ran out of strips. More here today.

Hopefully I can make it today. I might have to try some ghee and see if i can get past this hump. I always have trouble around 100 hrs.

We always start a new thread each month for IF/EF Chat, and will post the link to the new thread in the old one, directing anyone who might go in the older ones.

(Jane) #209

Interesting stats from my fasting app Vora.

I just passed my one year anniversary of fasting, fasted 23 times so almost 2 a month, longest was 104 hours, average is 55. I do a lot of 72 on my own and then 36 with my husband, hence the average.

Not bad since I didn’t fast the 10 weeks I was on IV antibiotics.

Originally I fasted to lose the last 10 lbs and it worked. But over time I have gradually lowered my stable weight setpoint another 7 or 8 pounds.

Doing it for maintenance and autophagy and skin reduction.

(Mame) #210

Huh. Well that didn’t work.

Granted I am still having major jet-lag, I have been up since 3am CDT so at 1030am (18h fasted) I felt really odd and hungry and weird.
I decided jet-lag was enough stress and not to push myself in other ways. so had barely edible subway steak/cheese wrap, hard boiled egg and mayo
Even the fact that I had no good food options didn’t stop me. All very, very unusual for me. I don’t fast easily but I am picky about food - this was just plain old weird.

Not sure what I will do the rest of the day, although I will do my best to get at least 12h fasting in overnight before I lift in the morning. and just be nice to myself…

Regretting having black coffee today, I was feeling really good then had about 6 oz and felt really nauseous and a little shaky, not sure if I am just more sensitive to caffeine while fasted or if it impacted my blood glucose (I don’t have a meter to check yet)…

This would be my first guess, since I’ve read many times where other folks have said the same. I mostly water Fast, but if I do on occasion have a Tea or Coffee, it’s always Decaf so haven’t had this issue. But again, I could also see how Caffeine could be enhanced whilst fasting.

Regretting having black coffee today, I was feeling really good then had about 6 oz and felt really nauseous and a little shaky, not sure if I am just more sensitive to caffeine while fasted or if it impacted my blood glucose (I don’t have a meter to check yet)…

I think I will do decaf while fasting from here on out :slightly_smiling_face:

Being tired always makes me want to eat. Doing TRE has really helped me be more sensitive to this. It’s surprising to me how often I’ll be watching TV late and want a snack. I’m not hungry, but my body is somehow just sending a signal that if we’re going to keep going, we want some fuel. I’ve managed to turn that snacking urge into a “time to go to bed signal.” But the whole thing has made me acutely aware of the connection between hungry and tired.

Black coffee can be tough on your stomach; that alone could have made you a little queasy. Do you usually drink it black or did you switch to black so you could eliminate cream while you’re fasting?

I don’t normally drink it black, I usually have it with 1tbsp HWC and sometimes about 1/4 cup of unsweetened cashew milk…I usually make very strong coffee too, but dialed back the amount of grounds I used thinking it would be less bitter, that helped a little lol.

Well made it to 46 hrs, feeling a bit sad as I don’t feel like I broke my fast due to hunger, I just really wanted to eat…maybe this will get easier to ignore each time I fast :slightly_smiling_face:

Desire to eat, or simply missing eating a nice meal is quite common and not necessarily a bad reason to Break. :slight_smile: … And no, it doesn’t always get easier, but it’s up to you if you want to ignore it. Some will simply go find something to do not to think about it, but as you say, it’s not really hunger so to speak.

Wife said she would really like to Fast tomorrow… Told her I’m game, so back at it with her til Saturday or Sunday. :slight_smile: Depends on when she wants to break. I’ll let her decide on this one.

Is it normal to have totally unpleasant tummy issues after such a short fast? I did just 46hrs then ate 2 small unseasoned burger patties and some egg salad (homemade nothing spicy or unusual), and I have reflux for the first time since going Keto, like really bad reflux…one reason I didn’t push my fast time further was to avoid refeeding tummy problems :nauseated_face:

Yes, it can sometimes, but usually a case of tummy issues as you mention. Don’t recall ever having reflux, but I guess that can happen? … In most cases, you will know within the first hour or so if the break didn’t go well. - I can say that a lot of folks have issues with certain items when breaking, and those are Eggs and Nuts. There are more things that can cause this of course, but those 2 are pretty notorious when it comes to having issues breaking. Also, I think this extends to some degree for folks the longer you do Fasting, but don’t quote me on that. Some have issues even after Fasting for months or years. But me personally, I stay away from those two mentioned above, since they do cause issues for me as well. … You really need to find those things that don’t affect you and pretty much stand your ground with them. But sometimes, it doesn’t seem to matter what you eat, you can get those issues. I personally think overdoing too much fat like on a steak can cause this too. Try something small first, like a few bites of something, then wait an hour or so and eat a meal. You might find this to be helpful, not overwhelming your system too quickly.

After I had been fasting for many months, anything under 48 hrs. I didn’t even worry about. But after a Surgery I had in January, I cut back on Fasting some, and it seems even Fast around 40 hrs., I’ve had some minor issues. But even though when I do have issues, I’ve never had it real bad, like some others have mentioned. So it doesn’t seem to hit me as bad thankfully. … Hope you feel better soon.