June 2018 ZornFast

(Ashley) #161

Just reading this congrats. Something I’ve noticed, not sure why but my a1c at my
Heaviest just 3 months ago was only 5. All my blood work is always normal, maybe I’m just lucky I never had any of the side effects of obesity?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #162

You’re confusing obesity with type 2 diabetes. This is common. Not everyone with type 2 diabetes is obese, and not everyone who is obese has Type 2 diabetes. That’s because obesity does not CAUSE type 2 diabetes. Obesity is a symptom of type 2 diabetes.
There are also type 2 diabetics who are thin. They are called tofis. TOFI. Thin on the outside fat on the inside. They also benefit from low carb and fasting.
Yes you were lucky. You could have had much worse numbers. But obviously you weren’t as insulin-resistant as many of us. And that’s a very good thing. All in all this should allow you to have an easier time correcting things.

(Ashley) #163

I wasn’t meaning I thought I would have t2D I meant more just surprised I didn’t have other implications of being obese as in my overall health. They did at one time think I could be diabetic until we found out my numbers were good. Found out the feeling I was having “feeling low sugar” was actually my auto immune disease. I’m just suprised over 10 years of being overweight and I’ve had no health problems from it. Well other than the weight and heavy breathing when exercising ect. Even got sleep tests thinking maybe I could have sleep apnea from weight and had none whatsoever.

(Ashley) #164

I will however be interested to see how how my ldl and hdl have changed and if that may freak my doctors out seeing changes they think are “bad”

(KCKO, KCFO) #165

Ditto on what Brenda said. It is very important that you have testing done after a 12 hr. fast. That seems to be the sweet spot for most people.

Hope the visit goes well.

(Ashley) #166

So wait, she said 3-4 days of eating. So do I do that and then fast? Clicking that link, see what that states. Nvm, I can’t listen to that while af work!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #167

You don’t want to do test right off an EF, but you do need to be fasted 12 hours. The 12 hours is a standard they tell you for blood work. So break your fast, eat normal for 3 to 4 days, then fast for 12 hours before having blood work.

I may have worded my post badly, the reason I monitor my weight loss during a fast is that I don’t have much to play with and my intention isn’t weight loss but autophagy, hence my concern about losing too much weigh during extended fasting. Nonetheless thank you for your response, I do plan on doing a dexa scan at some point just out of curiosity.

(Ashley) #169

Gotcha thanks! I’ll do this

(KCKO, KCFO) #170

I completed 65.25 hrs. I had lunch and plan on dinner and then will do a 36 hr. fast. I am having very good luck with a refeed in the Zornfasts time frames. This plan will give me over 90 hrs. of fasting. As I am not doing this for weight loss, I’m maintaining. That is a great amount for me to be doing.

KCFO

(LeeAnn Brooks) #171

Hmm… I hadn’t considered going back into an EF after a feeding day. That sounds appealing.

(Ron) #172

Made the 90hrs and re-feed has went smooth. Looking forward to dinner with friends this evening.
Lost 8.6lbs during my fast but like we all know, half will probably come back. That would be fine although I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a 5lb drop total this round.
Plan is to enjoy the weekend with my guests and start another fast beginning Sunday night.
Good Luck everyone! May you all reach your goals.:crossed_fingers: :wink::grin:

(Sybella) #173

finished my water only EF at 136 hrs. I’m very pleased and all went reasonable well except feeling tired. My brain was focused and I could get jobs done around the house etc but I really didn’t feel like doing much more which I thought would happen around day 4. I’m not disappointed but just curious as to why I felt so flat. I will start my 3 days of 36/42 hrs IF protocol again from Sunday evening and see how I go. Good luck fellow fasters.

I was out at 61h. I am so pleased i made it until saturday, my longest fast so far. I have been stalled for a year, and it is fantastic to see some new numbers at the scale, even if that changes with eating, things are slowly moving again.:grinning:

(Ellie) #175

Finishing my fast in a couple of hours. 85 hours complete!
I’m so glad I didn’t stop yesterday. I needed to prove to myself that I could do it and stop listening to the voices in my head that sabotage me. They are normally so convincing!
I’m down 5.8lbs from the beginning of the fast and 3.5 lbs from my recent low weight that I have been stuck bouncing around for a month.
I was even thinking of carrying on, but I liked the idea in some of the other posts of a day or 2 of feasting and then a 48 hour fast or so.
Count me in for July!
I hope everyone else had the results they were looking for.

(Marfi) #176

Brenda, can you explain what autophogy is? I’ve heard the 2 Keto Dudes talk about ita few times and I’ve googled it but still don’t understand what it means. Sorry if it’s a dumb question!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #177

Yes. Exactly this.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #178

IDMprogram.com, the clinic I work for now, recommends 2 days of refeeding before launching into another EF (extended fast). This is to ensure time for nutrient/electrolyte re-balance.

Just an FYI. To clarify, an extended fast being 2 or more days of water fasting.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #179

Could be a myriad of reasons. Could be boredom, could be nutrient electrolyte or deficiency. Since I know nothing about you I don’t even know how much body fat you have to work with. This makes a huge difference on how long someone can fast.

Congrats on completing 136 hours that’s impressive

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #180

Hello @Marfi,
Autophagy is basically the recycling of old cells and cell components but more importantly autophagy will eat up and tighten loose skin because your body will recycle the extra protein of the skin, it will protect us from infection and cancers because it’s clearing out those old broken parts of cells, and actually I call autophagy the Fountain of Youth for this reason. It is literally why people look so much younger as they eat less often and fast on the ketogenic diet.
In 2016, Yoshinori Ohsumi won the Nobel Prize in physiology and Medicine for his work with autophagy.
There is someone I’d like you to meet in the link below, who is a master at explaining all of this in layman’s terms. Dr. Jason Fung. His clinic director and co-founder of IDM, Megan Ramos (@meganjramos ), is just as excellent at explaining these concepts.
IDM = Intensive Dietary Management clinic in Toronto.

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/