JUNE 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Michelle) #282

I haven’t tried EF yet. Maybe I’m not fat adapted because I get very hungry at noon.

(Brett Williams) #283

Thanks for the link! I was looking to find the correlation between IF and HGH production and how HGH can help you maintain or grow muscle at the same time as losing fat. I’m hoping that by doing IF, and lifting weights, I will be able to avoid having a ton of loose skin once all the fat-weight comes off.

(Jane) #284

If not, autophagy has helped a lot with mine but you will have to do an EF w/o protein (no bone broth) for 48 hours or more.

That is down the road for you and I wouldn’t worry about it now and like you said - maybe you can avoid it altogether!

(Allie) #285

@Williebro have a read of this page, I found it this morning -

https://idmprogram.com/keith-harmon/

(Brett Williams) #286

Keith is an inspiration and a health role model for sure! I like that he talked about your body doesn’t store muscle, it stores fat and uses fat as fuel when fasting. Thank you for sharing. I’m so glad I found this forum and the Keto lifestyle. After 20+ years of yo-yo dieting, I (and my friends who introduced it to me) have finally stumbled upon the answer to a healthy life.

(E.O.) #287

Dr Berg suggests Bile Salts.

Keto Rash-Bile Salts

(Beth) #288

Thank you!! This is such a great point! I’m on Day 3 of an EF and starting tomorrow we are supposed to hit 100 degrees plus for the next several days in Kansas City! I’ll take any benefit! :wink: :slight_smile:

(Ellie) #289

37 hours now. Aiming for 60 this time. So far so good but a couple of light headed moments. I think I need to up my water and salt given the temperature here at the moment.

(Allie) #290

Today I’m trying yet again to fast, my body just hasn’t cooperated this week so far! I haven’t even had a coffee yet today, been awake 3.5 hours and am now at work and feeling decaffeinated :joy:

The new cygnet I’m looking after is settling in well :heart_eyes:

hey, everyone! Hope it’s a good day for all of you :slight_smile:

Just checking in. My plan was to do 4 days of OMAD before a longer fast but I think I actually want to make my pre-fast day more of a feast, so I’ll do a generous lunch and dinner today.

First three days went pretty well. My goal was to see if I could calmly eat one meal at the end of the day and not let it spin into lots of grazing. First two days were great, but yesterday was a little trickier. I went out to a meal with friends and I picked around the carbs but came home feeling … not exactly hungry but kind of unsatisfied, so then I munched for a bit. Not a big problem (and I kept carbs within range) but it felt a little bit messy and confusing. That’s the feeling that sometimes leads into days of mindless eating, so that’s what I’m working on right now.

Side note: I’m also tracking this week (which I never do! In fact up until now I’ve done what can only very charitably be called “lazy keto”). I think my sense of carbs has been pretty decent but my protein… wow. Even with just one meal per day and (for me) relatively modest portions, I’m up to or over my protein goals.

(Steve) #292

Yeah, protein’s tricky. You have varying opinions on whether the macro is a limit or a goal as well. :slight_smile:

It’s like sodium - too little and your cells lose micro-nutrients, too much and you retain a little water.
In the case of protein, you want to get enough so your body doesn’t start scavenging muscle for its needs, but too much and the body turns it into glucose, then fat. :slight_smile:

I think it’s better to go over than under…we’re in this for the long haul…as long as we don’t go way over on either daily, we’re good. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Steve! I’m not too worried about going a bit over; it’s more that based on the numbers of these last few days I’m probably usually WAY over. Also, in general I think I’m super high in calories. With one meal I can easily eat 1200-1600 and it’s not that uncommon for me to have 3 meals like that. I’m a relatively small female so I must have a really high BMR? Which is fine for weight, but actually from what I’ve read I’m starting to think that it’s probably healthier in the long term to be more efficient, so if I can use fasting to get used to less food and if it slows down my metabolism a bit, that’s probably fine.

[ETA: I know that generally fasting doesn’t slow down the metabolism! But in my case, if it’s helpful along the path to eating a bit less, I’m good :slight_smile: ]

(Steve) #294

Yeah, I know a lot of people in here are that CICO is bs…and I’m of the opinion that it isn’t absolute, but calories (obviously) still are relevant, as they are energy units - it’s just that our bodies use the calories from different nutrients in different ways.

(IMHO) it’s important to track your macros at the beginning of keto (I’m approaching month 5 and I’m still tracking daily with MFP) - less so as you get a more intuitive feel for the macro-content of the foods you’re consuming.
A few days of higher protein isn’t that big a deal in the long term - but you don’t want to do it for months…that’s how you’ll put weight back on. :slight_smile: Well…body fat - the weight you don’t want. Muscle mass, you do.

As for the BMR discussion - yes, while people say generally speaking, having a lower BMR should be better for longevity, having a higher BMR makes it easier for keeping a trim, efficient body. There’s a happy balance in there to strive for…that’s a longer term n=1 experiment. :slight_smile:

(Shayne) #295

Today is an “eating” day for me. For some reason I’m getting hungrier earlier in the day like I used to and I don’t like it. I keep telling my stomach, “I’ll feed you when it’s time”. :wink:

So, yeah, I’ll have my lunch and then my dinner and then tomorrow will be just dinner again.

(Beth) #296

Thank you for this! I love this post and had to laugh because I have experienced every one of these scenarios too in the last couple months of getting serious with EF/IF.

(back and doublin' down) #297

Just shy of 96 hours. My work place is having a major potluck lunch thing and the smells waft into my office. Staying strong with water and hot tea. Determined to make it to 120 hours!

(Beth) #298

So as the end of this month approaches, I just want to say how much i appreciate all of you and how much you inspire and teach me!
I’m getting married August 1st and this time last month, I couldn’t zip up my wedding dress. I started keto almost a year ago and lost significant weight (which is when I bought the dress). Then during the winter my mom had cancer and another loved one died. I didn’t do so well: gained it all back plus some.
But all of you inspired me, especially @LizinLowell, who has been a steadfast KCKO rock during her own grief, loss and change.
@Shortstuff taught me how to really listen to my body day in and out.
@Janie, @Paendora, @smsherbert and more: thank you so much for posting experiences & encouragement. I log on and read when I want to eat, lol!
This morning my wedding dress not only zips up, it fits beautifully. I plan to join the July IF/EF too, so I can really enjoy the feast that will come with our loved ones at the wedding.
Thank you for being such a great community, because I really, really could not have done this without you all!

That’s great Beth! Hope that you have a wonderful wedding! :heart::wedding:

(back and doublin' down) #300

Congratulations! Cue the band and the parade and confetti! You’ve done this hard work and your success gives me a great smile! Hooray!

This thread is one that keeps me coming back. Trials, errors, back steps as well as victories remind me we are humans on an imperfect journey. Glad to be a part of yours!

(Allie) #301

Fantastic! I’m sure you look absolutely stunning in it too :heart::heart::heart: