July 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Brennan) #164

Very low carb - I believe

(Brennan) #165

Thatā€™s the way you want to break a fast.

But probably not the place you want to do it. I would wait till you get home just in case. Disaster pants at the office would be a bad day for sure!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #167

Very Low Carb

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #168

I broke early at 23 hours. Was super hungry most of the day and had to pee a lot more than normal.

I pushed extra hard this morning with lower body resistance to failure and did 100 squats as well. I usually do my resistance to failure on feeding days.

Did this trigger my extra hunger or was this just not meant to be today.

Iā€™m still happy I did what became an OMAD and I break when it feels right to break. Happy fasting you all.

I will likely be fasting at the end of the work week now.

(Carol) #169

I was several days behind in reading this thread but was happy to see so many successes - yay!

I had 4 nice days eating and hopefully keeping my BMR up. lol Iā€™m hopping back on the fasting wagon, now in for 24 hours. Will probably go to Thursday? I have yearly blood work at the end of the month and want to make sure Iā€™m eating TMAD at least 10 days out so any fasting needs to be done now.

Fast on. :slight_smile:

(Mame) #170

Glad to back online and ready to fast.

A mere 2 hours into my 26+ hour Monday afternoon to Tuesday evening fast.

And then at least a 36 hour one over Thursdayā€¦ plus more? Not sure yet.

I lift heavy to complete failure early Tuesday mornings and I find it very hard to fast that evening, currently it seems to really stir my true hunger up. Perhaps needing nutrients for muscle repair?

Happy fasting all!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #171

Mame,

Thanks. Tomorrow is upper body to failure and will eat post workout. I usually do failure Thursday and Friday and I fast m,t,w. Iā€™ll switch back next week.

Thanks for the info.

(Susan) #172

I am only at 26 hours so far (goal this round is 72). I just ate some Pink Himalyan salt followed with 64 ounces of water.

The receptionist asked me if I was on Keto when she was helping me make a black coffee, and I told her I was and she was very positive and encouraging, which was a great surprise and nice!
It was a nice change to just have a normal, nice conversation about Keto with someone.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #173

I had the same with my dermatologistā€™s nurse who told me she is keto as well. When I told her I was fasting she high fived me.

(Susan) #174

Wow, that is very neat!

Broke fast last night at 51 hours. I had a slight headache and didnā€™t feel I could go another 24 hours to not break at work. Down only .8 over 2 days. Better than nothing but makes me question if this is worth it. Iā€™ve yet to find the right combination of feeding and fasting. I fear I tend to get in a fasting rhythm and do too much and lower my BMR, but then I try to shake things up with a 3 meal a day and gain. No easy answers. Just keep on keeping on.

(Not a cow) #177

Hi All, Starting my week of ADF with a Tuesday to Wednesday 42 hr fast, will eat Wednesday and then fast all Day Thursday till about 2 on Friday. I think that will be enough for this week as the last two weeks I have done a 48 hr fast with OMAD on other week days. Weekends are feasting days. Working up to a 3 day fast for next week so for now Iā€™m just giving my fasting muscle a workout.

They say that the average for weight loss during Fasting is about .5 lb. per day, so yeah, I can usually lose just as much whether Iā€™m eating or Fasting. So a lot of folks Fast for Autophagy, and to help with other issues they might have. Though weight loss is a plus, and Fasting is also sometimes used to break a stall, etc. ā€¦ But each personā€™s reasons for Fasting will differ from one to the next.

(Jane) #179

Yeah, I am post-menopausal by over 15 years so nothing much hormonal going on with me, but Iā€™ve seen vast differences in how much body fat I lose with different fasts and all around 72 hours.

Since I usually fast when traveling on business all I know is my net loss after re-feeding - not how much I lose from the fast itself. Sometimes itā€™s been a big fat zero after 72 hours. Sometimes I have lost and kept it off, so my weight setpoint dropped a bit.

My fasting goal is autophagy since I am 60 and need to undo a lot of damage from years of seed oils and processed foods and already beat cancer once. I donā€™t want to be broken down, carrying my own oxygen and riding an electric cart in WalMart in 10 years! So, in that sense I donā€™t see it as a lot of effort for no benefit if I donā€™t lose an ounce. I might feel differently if I still had a large amount of weight to lose, though.

(Mame) #180

Sounds like people who are fasting right now are doing (or did ) well!

I am at 12.5 hours and am planning on a meal later this evening.

I am working on adjusting my overall volume of food lower to match where I am currently. It may take a month+ of tweaking to get this right for me. As this is a focus I am planning to be very conservative with fasting.

So besides my normal TRE of 19+ hours I am planning to fast Wed eve through Friday ending sometime after my Friday doctor appointment.

I hope all are feeling hydrated and healthy.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #181

Checking in at the beginning of Day 5. My friend felt terrible most of yesterday so she broke her fast. Iā€™m really proud of her, she did 4 days which was her record. I think she just hadnā€™t built up enough fasting muscle and her body was not into going any further. It was nice to have a buddy though, but I am so motivated I think Iā€™m good to go for 7 days!

I have finally broken into the plateau!! I have been 242.5 since mid-March and this morning I weighed in at 239.5!!! So excited!!

I feel great, just bored. Trying to keep myself busy. I was pretty cold yesterday and I thought it was from the fast ā€¦ then I finally looked at the thermometer and saw that it was an unseasonably cool day, only 66F in the afternoon and my house had cooled to 68F, so it wasnā€™t just me :blush:

Congrats on 51 hours! Maybe 3 meals a day is 1 too many for you? I have been eating twice a day for months now, and that works pretty well for me.

Glad to see everyone is having success this week!! KCFO!!

Iā€™ve had fasts where Iā€™ve lost nothing. Itā€™s very frustrating. You go to all this effort for two days to not eat and get no result. Itā€™s definitely not motivating, for sure. In those moments thereā€™s not much I can do for my mental state except keep chanting ā€œWeight loss isnā€™t linear. Over all downward trend. Weight loss isnā€™t linear. Over all downward trend.ā€

The problem with hopping on the scale on any given morning is that the smallest thing can create a 1ā€“2 lb. difference. When did I last have a big drink of water? Did I eat something extra salty yesterday, so Iā€™m retaining a bit more water this morning? Did I poop yesterday before I weighed, but not today? This craziness is why a lot of people donā€™t weigh everyday or even at all. On days like this (and Iā€™m having one, tooā€“my weight went up almost 2 lbs. overnight!) I just try to look at the linear trend line on my weight loss graph and ignore everything else.

Just remember there are a lot of other good reasons to fastā€“lowering your BG for overall metabolic health, autophagy, etc.

This is a tough one. I track everything I eat and my goal is to eat over my TDEE on eating days to try to keep my BMR up. This could be anything from just barely over to a few hundred calories over. I usually go with if I feel like eating I eat (which is almost always for me :rofl: ). I havenā€™t had any tests done, so I donā€™t know for sure that itā€™s working, but my best estimates tell me it is. Of course, my BMR has dropped some because Iā€™ve lost weight, so smaller person=smaller BMR.

Anyway, Iā€™ve eaten four days in a row now. I was thinking about taking a break from fasting this week, but Iā€™m feeling a bit blah today and ready for another fast. So, today for sure and maybe tomorrow.

(Mame) #185

Went 21+ hours, took measurements, then ate.
bg=68 bk=3 gki=1.2 nice for less than 24 hours fasted. of course my lifting this morning probably helped to clear out liver.

now another 24hours or so until tomorrow night.

(Susan) #186

Awesome, grats =). I am coming up to 52 here, feeling hungry, but ate more salt so that will go away soon =).

(Carol) #187

Just checking in at 54 hours. I confess when I started keto I decided to weigh only once a month. Having been on many weight-loss plans I think the scale is evil.It jumps around too much for my liking and makes me emotional. What I have discovered weighing only once a month is that it keeps me really honest in my eating. I do not want to hop on the scale and have bad news after a month. So far, so good. :slight_smile: