July 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(KCKO, KCFO) #46

Broke my fast. I kept thinking about food, nothing got my mind off of it, and my stomach was getting very noisy. After tomorrow’s feasting, I will attempt another round of 36 hrs.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #47

23+ hours. Feeling great. Some hunger today but all controllable. On to tomorrow. Happy fasting all.

(Carol) #48

Fell into an unplanned 42 hour fast end of June and 1st of July. Don’t know if I ended June on a high note or started July off on one. From home on Wednesday so should get another 42ish in and then I can relax over the upcoming July 4 long weekend.

kcfo :slight_smile:

(Allie) #49

I broke this morning as planned, very comfortably made 37 hours.
I think going forward I’ll steer away from EF but aim on one, or even two, full days of fasting each week and see how I go with that.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #50

32+ hrs fasted. Sleep was weird. Ketone dreams? Dreamt about tasting butter and carving large pieces of beef. No hunger in the middle of the night.

Upon waking
BG 86
BHB 0.8
GKI and BOZ - not worth calculating.

Darn dawn effect. But so much better than a year ago with BG ~130.

This fast is about losing weight and not autophagy. Probably the same for the next 3 or 4 fasts. I gained some weight on vacation and also probably some fluids with my chest cold which is almost gone. I want to just get back to close to 190 lbs in the next couple of weeks.

Despite the above, I’m pretty pumped up about fasting again reaching 48 hrs this evening. When I get to 48 it means 60+ is just a sleep away.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #51

Second day of my 3 to 5 day fast. All goes well, easier than first day.

132 hours in. 179.8

I’m so over this fast. Weight is barely moving due to Aunt Flo. It even went back up a pound over the last day or two. I know people will say “oh, that’s just a fluctuation”, but when you do an EF you expect to see it go down, down, and more down. I really hope there’s some good autophagy going on to make this worth it.

Took a lot of NSAIDS yesterday before finding out they make you retain water. WTH?! So now I’m just suffering through the cramps. I did natural childbirth, I can handle this. A heating pad helps.

I go to the doctor at 11 tomorrow, and their scales always read higher than mine. I really want to weigh in the 170’s for them. I enjoy shocking the nurse every 3 months, lol. Then I’m going to come home and eat two whole Fathead pizzas by myself.

Kidding.

Well, I ended up just doing an OMAD yesterday, after coming home feeling a little bit blah. Think having a nice active day on Sunday and getting a bunch of stuff done, followed by a slow, stagnant Monday… just didn’t sit right. - Wasn’t hungry, even while making dinner for the Wife and Son. But I just thought to eat something might help with the Blah feelings and was only at 24 hrs. … So just started back up after dinner last night, so presently at 13 hrs. :slight_smile:

Happy Fasting Folks… :+1:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #55

just past 30h. (had some cacao butter in the morning though)
if that’s what I need to start EFing again, so be it.

Thunderstorm woke me up at 2AM lack of sleep makes things harder. (i think it was easily in the top 5 of loudest thunder I ever heard…

Other than that I am okay and hope to make it to 72h at least.

I like my numbers though

BG 85
BK 2.3
GKI 2

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #56

Can’t help un-blurring the foods in this thread lol :laughing:

(hottie turned hag) #57

Fast on you crazy diamonds :gem:

(Mame) #58

Happy July all!
I don’t think I will get any 24+ hour fasts in this week and I will be out of town for a good chunk of it.

but I want to be sure to cheer any fasters on!! you can do it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #59

Sounds like a good time to end the fast. Just remember to refeed for at least half that time before anymore fasting .Don’t want your metabolism going down on you.

Dr. Fung talks often about how autophagy levels off between 36 and 48 hrs. That is why I try to do a lot of those and less over 48 hrs.

Hope you hit the desired weight for the dr. weigh in.

Gosh, I’ve been fasting 8 out of the last 9 days (I went overboard with the fat boosters on the 2nd or 3rd day, to the tune of about 1,000 cals, but I went straight back to fasting that night). I’d have to refeed for like 4 days. Ugh. I’m so afraid of regaining it all during the refeed.

I think in the future I’m going to limit it to five days, like @Digital_Dave does. Or even just 72 hours. Well, we’ll see what happens anyway.

Some find it easier to sleep through their tougher times whilst Fasting, for those times they find it harder to get through, but this can also be used to get to a set-point as well? … So if you want to make it to 30 hours as you say, you could always time it so you get to about 22 hours just around when you plan to sleep. So this way you can simply sleep through the last 8 hrs., which most find helpful. :slight_smile:

:+1: Yep, most do this just out of curiosity alone, but there are a few who just don’t like to read food mentions, so we still do this. And if you didn’t know, you can blur food images as well. :slight_smile:

I find this to be a good time-frame indeed. At most you’re not limiting food intake for more than 120 hrs. and this can help with simply missing eating a good meal as well. :slight_smile: … But no matter how many days I Fast, (2, 3 or 5, etc.) I always put at least two days of meals in between, with two meals each day. So at least 4 meals consumed between Fast. They don’t have to be huge meals, but enough to be satiated.

I think it hits a max rate (something like an estimated 300% increase) at that point, but it does keep going at that rate after that. So you do continue to get the benefit.

I don’t really do much fasting beyond two days, myself, usually about 65 hours. I think this puts me at the highest rate of autophagy that I’m going to get for 12–18 hours.

About 66hrs in now, was planning on ending it this morning, but to horror only lost 1lb between yesterday and today, thought I would drop 2-3 for sure :thinking: maybe my body is rebelling from the fasted workout the day before…now I feel compelled to give it until tomorrow morning lol, I want to see a new lower number if I haven’t eaten in days… I don’t think it’s too much to ask!!!

(Susan) #64

50 hours, and I am feeling so light and good. 167.4 lbs, down exactly 2 lbs from yesterday. I don’t feel hungry at all. Just black coffee and water so far. This fast is different in that I am not planning what to break my fast with yet. That is a good sign.
Of course the challenge comes when I go to work tonight and am tempted by carbage. I was tempted by a can of baked beanslast night but managed to overcome it. I will throw a can of salmon in my bag right now so I have that if absolutely necessary. Insurance, but i hope it is not needed.
Give me strength.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #67

47 hrs. Gritting my teeth some. I get this sometimes where fasting. Is that the ketones. Had 4 hr training this morning that left me with a headache there was so much information. Normally I want more info not less. But I had a nice chat with a fellow that works for me about all of his friends and relatives that are going keto. He is spreading the keto message in the ethiopian community here in Richmond, in Washington DC, Seattle and back home. He credits me with the inspiration and the getting started knowledge.

BG 79 mg/dL
BHB 1.4 mmol/dL
GKI 3.1
BOZ 56

Not idea. I had 3 seltzers today. I’m wondering if that is messing with my blood levels.

Down 5.8 lbs. Was cold last night and today. I get cold in my arms when I fast.

I’m so glad to be fasting again. Will decide in the am if I break this in the morning or at noon.

Happy fasting team ketoforum.

(Paul H) #69

Almost 20 hours in and just felt my tummy growl… After last weekend I expect a rough 48 hours.

Lost almost 2lbs
BG 131
BK 1.1…good for me.
GKI 6.62 so back in ketosis…got a 12+ yesterday.

I was real bad over the weekend but, seem to still be creating ketones… Does that mean I am fairly well fat adapted?