July 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Kristin) #403

@CoderGirl, when I feel dizzy it usually means I’m low on salt. I’ll take a little with some water and if I don’t feel better in about 10 minutes I’ll try to add some potassium and magnesium in the form of an electrolyte tablet that I use. If I don’t feel better after that I usually will break my fast because it means something’s going on that my body is not happy with.

(hottie turned hag) #404

I once witnessed a doc say this to a pt as he handed them several scripts (this was in the days of written scripts):

“here’s the ‘cure’, it’s worse than the disease” :smiley:

(used the term “cure” veeery loosely as in medicine it is really not used/used the way laypersons use it)
He was foreign and I guess hadn’t yet learned the American way of downplaying/glossing over side effects :rofl:

(Jacqui) #405

Thanks @Kris3. I have been having electrolyte tablets and extra salt but it may have been that. It did seem to water off over time and I was drinking the electrolytes and salt over that period.

(KCKO, KCFO) #406

Yeah, this is another super power keto has. You can taste your foods again. Celery is almost too sweet for me to eat now.

(Susan) #407

I found eating salt and gulping down water helps with this when I am fasting. I eat Pink Himalyan salt directly, as I don’t like it in water, just place on my tongue (1 teaspoon) at a time, drinking the water with it, quite often when fasting. Normally I do this 3 times a day, when fasting, I do it more, maybe 5-6 times, depending if I remember, and how I am feeling.

(Shane) #408

One of my better choices was to cut sugar out of my diet nearly 40 years ago and I never liked fake sugars, so I also find that things like water when I’m thirsty and black coffee taste sweet to me and changing to keto from a low GI carb based diet was just a matter reducing veggies a bit and allowing myself to eat fatty foods and put salt on my food. I still forget to use salt fairly often.

(Susan) #409

I have never really liked a lot of seasonings or salty things; so to get my salt, I eat it and gulp down water, as I hate it in water, or electrolyte drinks. I eat that way and it works =).

That is so awesome that you went sugar free 40 years ago, so good for your body! I am now sugar free for life, I wish I had of done that 40 years ago as well, hehe.

(Shane) #410

Passed 72 hours an hour ago. I had a second wind today and I’ve decided to go another day particularly as I didn’t feel so hungry today and my BG was fairly low and steady all day and of course getting through the typically harder first 2 days and then giving up seemed a bit counter productive. Also the 16MO bought up his dinner earlier and I had a bloated feeling, so I didn’t want to load up on food and make myself crook.
I should be in a good place now until I break the fast, probably tomorrow night ( I started a batch of bone broth today)

(Susan) #411

Awesome! Grats on the 72 hours so far, and whatever number you end up with, very nice =).

(Shane) #412

Getting enough salt has been the hardest thing for me after a lifetime of not using it and finding salty food as appealing as drinking salt water. I now enjoy salt on fried eggs and bacon if I remember to use it.
I do use some supplements during fasts. I still can’t drink coffee or plain water with any salt in it.

Probably tomorrow night, but who knows. It might be easier to do longer fasts less often as they seem to get harder to do each time, though I’ve never done more than 4 days because I normally miss eating by then. And I’ve never bothered doing 1 or 2 days.

(Susan) #413

I am cooking for my hubby, 3 daughters at home and my grand daughter who is my little side-kick and 3 so I do my fasting around the convenience of family events as well =).

(Jacqui) #414

So the good news is I have now broken through the 90kg barrier, weighing in at 89.5kg (197lb) this morning. So I went into Onderland on 17th July without knowing it, being in the UK :joy: :partying_face:

The bad news is that I made the mistake of not taking the refeeding slowly. I won’t go into detail, but let’s just say what came out did not look like this x :poop: x
I’ll take that on board for my next fast, and I think I’ll save the steak for tomorrow night! I’m thinking of doing fasts monthly, so may join in with next month’s Zorn fast :grin:

Thank you all!

(Susan) #415

Congrats on the 197 pound mark, that is great =).

(Shane) #416

I’m happy to do the cooking for others while I’m fasting. I enjoy it and tend to miss the food itself rather than actually eating it. Interestingly by BG mainly seems to dip around when my feeding window is or would be if I wasn’t fasting.
It’s nearly 1AM here now and my brain is in top gear and I feel the best I have in days.
At least there are only 2 others in the bed tonight. I should join them even though both snore and one will be headbutting me, kicking me in the back and coughing on me all night.

(Shane) #417

Well done us :slight_smile:
I just realized I did too. Next one for me I guess is losing over 100lb (90 so far).
Who’da though this could happen after all the failed fad diets?
Sorry @Momof5 replied to your post instead of @CoderGirl above it. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I really should go to bed.

(Susan) #418

Grats to you too, I was 293, down to 250 (43 pounds down) 130+ more to go, hahahaha.

(Susan) #420

I think keeping an 18:6 IF schedule and being cautious on holidays, you will do okay, and not gain much, if any =-) enjoy your family vacation =).

(KCKO, KCFO) #421

Congrats on getting into Onderland. I do the Zornfast each month. Keeps me on track. After I started doing those I lost my stubborn 10-15 lbs. that never seemed to leave no matter how I ate. Who knew stopping eating would make them go away LOL. I do some IFing because I really don’t feel like eating most days when I wake up. In maintenance over two years now.

Megan Ramos suggests a small salad with lots of healthy oil & vinegar for breaking a fast, have that and wait an hour or so then have a regular type meal for you. It really does help with the poo issues.

KeepCalmFastOn.

(Jacqui) #422

Thanks for the info and recommendation. I think I’m definitely up for the Zorn fast. I usually do a 16:8 with TMAD non fasting days, as I don’t feel like eating in the morning either. I don’t do it strictly, but it is 18:6 a lot of the time.

I’ll definitely try the salad next time! My husband can’t believe I went 72h, but he isn’t keto (and is also 6ft5in and a 32 waist, and around 75kg, so doesn’t understand weight!)

(KCKO, KCFO) #423

Has he had his A1C checked? He might think he is fine, but ThinOutFatInside is a thing. My husband is 6’ ,145 lbs. he is the T2D in the family. We struggle to keep weight on him. Hope he isn’t but the sooner he is checked the better.