July 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Shane) #361

I started this one about the same time. Hope to last until someone goes shopping and brings home food. Saturday would be a good day to start eating again.

(KCKO, KCFO) #362

I returned from Ketofest and a few extra days along the ocean, last night.

And despite traveling via air, driving around a lot, eating at whatever restaurants were available, etc. I returned home with not even an extra .1 lb exact weight as the day I left, which is 3 lbs. under my goal weight. Usually, after air travel alone I will be up 2 or so lbs. I almost didnā€™t weigh in today because of that but DH said, ā€œyou ate mostly seafood, salads and eggs, go on, see what it says.ā€ Glad I did it.

But since today is Wed. and I like starting fasts on Wed. I am going to start a 36 hrs. fast just because I miss not eating at times.

If you can, do yourself a favor go to Ketofest. You get to meet so many amazing people and finally spend face time with them, not just typing to them. Dr. Phinney spent over 20 mins. talking recipes with me not an hour after I arrived at the site, he loves to teach people this WOE. I had a lovely chat with Dr. Richard Feinman over berries and whipped cream with a keto brownie, we talked about lots of stuff, not keto related. He is such a sweet person. I also got to meet Dr. David Ludwig during the social after party. And I met many forum members and admins. I finally got to give Richard Morris a big hug and thanks for being the person who most influenced me on my pathway to Keto. I canā€™t keep name dropping, but you see why I say you have to go??? Trust me there were many more folks I thanked there.

(Susan) #363

I am glad that you had such a good time, and didnā€™t gain any weight on your trip. that is awesome =).

(Bob M) #364

I only went to the Sunday part of KetoFest (the first one), and I thought it was great.

Well, n=1 can really suck, sometimes. I am attempting a 36 hour fast today. Trying to decide whatā€™s causing me to get cold, lowered thyroid and/or too few calories. Due to scheduling conflicts, took longer between 36 hour fasts than I normally do. Was this higher calories? Then, my birthday was yesterday, and we had a small ice cream cake for the whole family, small enough to eat it all at one sitting. Did the high carbs allow my thyroid a break? Whatever happened, I am not cold today.

And, oddly, my Ketonix measured the highest ketone level this morning than for the last week of keto. This is why Iā€™ve stopped measuring ketones and blood sugar. Too many variables I donā€™t understand. Would still recommend a continuous glucose monitor to anyone, even myself (if they werenā€™t so expensive).

(Susan) #365

Happy Belated Birthday @ctviggen Bob!

(Brandy) #366

Closing out a 36 hour fast this morning. Iā€™m tempted to just keep going but have a girlā€™s day in a bit with one of my daughters and a friend. I think I may just go back into it after dinner however. Whenever I complete a longer fast (like the 72 hour I finished last Thursday), any subsequent shorter term fasting seems easy and makes me feel all super charged. I wonder if the reason for that is physiological or psychologicalā€¦

(Bob M) #367

Thanks, Susan.

I have found longer fasts are sometimes easier to do, perhaps because I mentally prepare for them better. Having said that, I donā€™t do near the number of longer term fasts as I do the shorter fasts. It can be hard to set aside a whole week.

(Paul H) #368

That is how it works for meā€¦ I also have had my BG drop lower than at anytime during my fastā€¦ after eating the next day.

(Ellen ) #370

You guys are amazing. I never thought I could do fasting but with my colonoscopy tomorrow I have no choice. Now Iā€™ll see what Iā€™m made of. So far 17hrs in today and I feel crappy, no pun intended.

(Susan) #371

@Ely Awww, I hope that all goes well with the procedure and results of it =).

(Shane) #372

Mine typically drops to minimum at around 36 hours in and always seems to go back into the normal range after the fast. Maybe a new slightly lower normal than before. I have had my BG drop below 4 on strict carnivore days. Dawn effect seems worse if I eat more carbs the day before. Iā€™d probably be able measure a difference between 5g and 20g of carbs a day if I took note of carbs and next day BG.
I have had my weight drop the day following a refeed though. Most likely from shedding water that may have been replacing fat in the cells while fasting.

(Susan) #373

I am on 50 hours so far on this fat fast which has ended being more of a normal tea/water fast as I have no hunger and was planning on
eating cream cheese if hungry, and can eat 1 package a day on this, but so far only had 1/4 of a pack for lunch yesterday and 1/4 of a pack for supper, and nothing since, so I think I probably will just
continue to only have my tea and water until the 72 hours is up tomorrow evening at 5pm.

(Ellen ) #374

Thanks Susan. Iā€™m sure it will be. I just hope I lose some weight. This fasting is difficult. Iā€™m impressed at how long youā€™ve gone with your fasting. Youā€™re weight loss is also impressive. Maybe this day will show me the light and Iā€™ll be able to incorporate fasting in the future.

(Susan) #375

I never thought I would even be able to do 12:12 eating window at the beginning, I did and felt like I was starving. My body soon adapted though, I was doing 16:8 in no time, then 18:6 now I do 20:4 (because I could not eat enough doing OMAD) in one sitting. I just let my body become adapted to each new thing; and added 24 hour fasts, then up to 48 for a bit, then the 72. This is my 3rd 72nd one (well I did 74 last one) but for now I think that is a good maximum for me. Later on in my keto journey, I would like to go for 5 days or more, but with family life atm I think that would be too difficult is all . I am sure that your fasting muscle will increase over time, if you build it up slowly over time, like I did and many of us have =)).

(Carol) #376

I thought I would wiggle in a quick 60ish hour fast this week. But, it was someoneā€™s b/d at pilates class today and another gal made blueberry slushies for everyone. First thing the gal said was ā€œthese are keto friendlyā€ and proceeded to tell me the ingredients she used. While everyone there watches what they eat, Iā€™m the only one doing keto and I thought it so sweet she made sure I could partake. I am heart happy today. :slight_smile:

(Susan) #377

That was very considerate and kind of her, of course you had to have it, I totally get that =).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #378

Susan

You are doing an amazing fasting job.

(JJ) #379

Awesome fasting everyone, particularly given so many of you have been poorly this week. Wishing all you ā€˜snot monstersā€™ a speedy recovery.

I have done 2x 25 hour fasts this week as I shifted my eating window backwards and then forward to fit with my changing work schedule. On the other days I have done 18:6 or 20:4, feeling excellent and like my fitness is coming along in leaps and bounds. Actually enjoyed the longer fasts and was surprised that they were not as difficult as I anticipated.

(Mame) #380

I hope those who are/were feeling under the weather are feeling better.

I am 13 hours into a planned 40+ hour fast. Numbers this morning;
bg=79, bk=1.9, gki=2.3
Weekly lifting scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Having my fasting approved beverages and thinking positive thoughts. Wow, this week went by fast for me.
Happy Thursday all.

(Susan) #382

Thanks, Eric =). I really want to get the benefits of autophagy and get all these aches and pains gone, as well as the weight of course!

Goal is 72 hours breaking at 5pm today.