July 2018 ZornFast

(TJ Borden) #61

It’s definitely easier once you’re fat adapted, which can take a couple months, but there’s no harm in giving it a try earlier.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #62

I usually eat as late into the evening Wednesday as I want to, then I wake up Thursday morning well fed. I go to sleep early Thursday night, so that I sleep through the hardest part of the fast for me (and many others), right around hour 24.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #63

It does. Knowing the support is here makes the fasting easier. Gives you strength. I’ve been having these fasts for that reason for over two and a half years!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #64

I have never heard this about sodium…
400 mg magnesium is recommended in the form of glycinate or malate. Other forms do not absorb well.
You may need more than 400 mg.

Already broke my fast.
36 iof 96 hours.
Oh, well…
I will try another 36h later in the week maybe. Let’s see. Disappointed but not defeated. :wink:

(Lonnie Hedley) #66

It’s a good idea to use the blur spoiler when talking about food on this thread. Any thread about fasting really. For some people it helps if food is out of sight out of mind. Coming here for support and seeing food can make it difficult for some to abstain.

(Jane) #67

I’m joining you guys this month but starting today at lunch (last meal). Going to enjoy seeing my grandsons this weekend so not fasting past Friday lunch. So 72 hours if I make it.

About 20 hrs in, here. Aiming to go until Thursday evening. Also had my first real fasting workout. It was nothing earth-shattering, but I still feel good about getting it in there. :smile:

@S.Scofield 36 hrs is still good! Nice job! I swear every time I break a fast early, there’s a lesson I learn from it. It’s all helping.

I started extended fasting before I was fat adapted, the difference is phenomenal. This isn’t to discourage you but to let you know that it gets much easier. I don’t regret having done it the wrong way around because I have a perspective from all directions. When not fat adapted I would experience dizzy spells, extreme fatigue and struggled mentally. Once fat adapted no dizzy spells, my energy levels are through the roof, and I only snuggled mental on day four of a 5 day fast which I could have extended to 7 but I lost too much weight and decided to end it. My advice is to listen to your body.

Thank you, @Callisto, for the support.

(TJ Borden) #71

I know it’s the rule, and I get why. I do have to wonder, however, if there is anyone that DOESN’T click to see what the blur is hiding. I know I’ve never not clicked. :thinking:

(Lonnie Hedley) #72

Blur spoiler gives you the choice to never not click on it. :grin:

(TJ Borden) #73

I get that. I’m just curious if anyone ever actually chooses not to click.

Of course the funniest blurs to me are the ones from the Brits, when they blur stuff that Americans would never think of as a swear word.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #74

Hi @Brenda, I managed to complete my first 36 hour fast, off the back of my third 24 hour fast ever.
I am refeeding now with some pork rinds and jerky, will eat a meal in a few hours, and possibly another meal tonight.
There’s nothing unsafe about that is there? From one 36 hour fast to a 3 day?

(Ron) #75

@ava_ad0re , way to go! I knew you could.:+1:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #76

I sort of knew I could too! I could of kept going also but I really wanted to join in on the Zorn :slight_smile:

(Ron) #77

That’s smart to give yourself a little time between fasts. Hope the refeed is going comfortable.:wink:

(Nathan Toben) #78

Would it be unwise to try a fast if I burn 3000-4000 calories each day due to high volume aerobic training? I am unclear on whether I would spur HGH and muscle growth or conversely force my body to cannibalize muscle tissue as it looks to produce atp?

(TJ Borden) #79

I burn 3500+ calories a day and regularly do 3-5 day fasts. Of course I have plenty of stored body fat to pull from.

It depends on how long you’re thinking of fasting. Most people have plenty of stored fat to easily go 3-4 days, which gets you the optimum return on autophagy.

Beyond that could be challenging if you lack energy reserves (that sounds way better than beer belly) to pull from.

As far as the muscle mass issue, google Jason Fung and IDM. There’s a lot of great info about what the body actually does during fasts. Sneak peak: it’s not what many of the fitness and diet “experts” (that don’t actually know anything about fasting) say happens.

(Marfi) #80

Hi guys, I’m trying my first Zorn fast from Australia. Any other Aussies here, or will I be doing this all by myself over here? I’ve fasted once before but it wasn’t planned, so hoping I’ll go ok on this one. Looking forward to sharing the experience with you!