July 2018 IF / EF chat ALL WELCOME

(Aimee Moisa) #241

Wow, I haven’t been hungry at all since I ate the last bite of breakfast five or so hours ago. I’m feeling great! I do have a headache 'cause they’re using a jackhammer on the street outside but there is no helping that.

Uhoh, thinking about being hungry my stomach just waved and said hello. I’m gonna go back to my work and chug a bottle of water.

Nice job, Aimee!! You can do this!

For me, the first 24 hours of a fast are when I feel hunger the most, for others it’s the second 24 hours when hunger is most felt. But hunger in itself is normal (and comes in waves, usually) during a fast and I don’t stop fasting for it. Feeling sick or feeling painful somewhere is a different story. I don’t mean your headache, necessarily, unless it’s bad. You are getting your electrolytes, right?

I’m nearing 20 hours right now, my first-day hunger pangs are now subsiding, which is always a nice feeling. It’s the emotional need to eat in the evenings that’s hard for me, so I just have to hold on until bedtime. :smile:

(Aimee Moisa) #243

I’m totally confused about the electrolytes, so not really. Like I mentioned in another comment I feel like I need to read chicken entrails to know what electrolytes to consume, when, how much, etc.

I had a lot of salt on my avo at breakfast if that helps any? :slight_smile:

(Liz ) #244

I’m away with my husband & mom for 2 1/2 weeks. Keeping Keto easily, even at restaurants, though mostly I cook for us all (that’s why I don’t call it a “vacation” lol). I weigh daily to inure myself to scale fluctuations. I hit a new low Monday the 9th, 157lbs, hooray! Then gained about a pound a day ever since!! Good grief. At 165 I said hold up, this is absurd, & started a fast. It has to be water weight so this should shed it. Plus I’m drinking more water in case I’m dehydrated & that’s why I’m retaining. I have been to the beach every day & have a light sunburn, I figure that’s the cause but yeesh! At 165 my new summer shorts started to be too snug which is a drag. Aiming for 47 hours as that works best with my schedule. We’ll see if it helps!

(Aimee Moisa) #245

Is it cheating to sleep through your fast? My daughter’s with daddy tonight so I’m gonna go home, read some Obesity Code and try to get to sleep early. :slight_smile:

Sleeping more is a key strategy of mine! LOL

As for electrolytes, Brenda Zorn’s KetoAide recipe is a fan favorite. I make sure to get at least 1 1/2 tsp of salt each fasting day. My strategy is that a few times a day, I mix about 1/2 tsp of salt with about an oz of ACV and a generous squirt of electrolyte solution (I use Hi-Lyte electrolyte concentrate), and add about 12 oz water. I don’t love the flavor, but it gets the job done. I do also get a separate Mg capsule supplement. Others have found their own solutions.

(Aimee Moisa) #247

Super irony: watched a couple cooking videos and didnt get hungry. Watched a video of Samuel L Jackson answering fan questions on the internet and my stomach started to growl. What in the what is that about?

Oh, I just smelled food, my hubby and little girl are cooking themselves dinner. Ok, it has been easy all day, NOW it gets tough!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #248

I broke in at 47 h yesterday…
Was not hungry, only emotional, stressed and hormonal.
But I stayed away from nuts, my tipical keto binge food, something I am quite proud about.

(Keto T) #249

I find that the food you mentioned and any creamy version of want you mentioned triggers a binge. I hope to enjoy them in moderation some day.

(Liz ) #250

At 45 hours, it’s been smooth going. I do use heavy cream on my fasts, always have so I consider them fat fasts. Tried to water fast once & felt so depressed I could not handle it. I think I need the fat for brain happiness. Anyway, down to 162 on the scale & feeling better. Phew!!

Also I picked up some calcium glucorate as suggested elsewhere in the forum. I’m using it in hopes it will help me metabolize my extra estrogen. I tried DIM but didn’t notice it helping my symptoms (sore breasts, acne). I know I stored a bunch of estrogen in my bodyfat & when I drop pounds it gets released into my system & causes these problems.

(Aimee Moisa) #251

Yay! I made it to 22 hours! No morning headache, no hunger pangs, just a confusion about whether or not I should eat breakfast.

I was reading The Obesity Code and would you believe it, it got me wondering if fasting is OK for people with super deranged matabolisms. He talks a lot about what lowering caloric intake does to metabolism, AND I have heard that fasting is different from lowering calories so far as metabolic derangement goes, but it still has me concerned. I dont want to end up actually in starvation mode.

(Teresa (turtle)) #252

I went to 44.5 hours and broke my fast. I lost 2.4 lbs during the fast and when I awoke this morning it turns out that I didn’t gain any of it back! I think that ADF may be good to try for a while. :thinking:

(Aimee Moisa) #253

You broke your fast last night? How many hours before bed?

(Teresa (turtle)) #254

5 hours before bedtime. I am now fasting again to try the ADF which I haven’t attempted before now. That is one large meal every two days.

(Aimee Moisa) #255

How large is large?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #256

how often/ how much hcv do you use if you don’t mind me asking?
Would like to know because In my last fast I got so terribly depressed too. does not happen often though…

(KCKO, KCFO) #257

Have you read this group of blogs by Dr. Fung on his website? It is long and worth every min. you spend with it. Great activity while fasting too. Here is the link to the first part. Enjoy.

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/

(Teresa (turtle)) #258

I am a lazy Ketovore so I don’t track anything…In my estimation I had 12 to 16 oz of cut up grilled chicken breast mixed with a lot of (maybe 3 T?) Daisy sour cream and (1 T?) yellow mustard, 10 medium sized black olives, 3 oz? raw milk cheddar cheese with 12 Bridgeford pepperoni slices, 3 squares Lily’s dark chocolate bar, 3 (5 oz) glasses Pinot Noir red wine,

(Aimee Moisa) #259

Thanks for the info @collaroygal and @Knapper88.

Now I want to know, without me looking at the clock how does my stomach know it’s been 24 hours since my last meal? It JUST started growling for the first time and my last bite was at 9:30 am yesterday. LOL

(Allie) #260

Internal body clock is very accurate. Mine wakes me up ten mins before my alarm normally goes off, even when I’ve turned the alarm off :joy: