July 2018 IF / EF chat ALL WELCOME

(Tressa) #201

Thanks Justin,
I will give it a go. I usually take my meds with almond milk. I may stay with that until it is gone. Then start experimenting with just water with the Metformin. I am hoping that after a while with the fasting I will be able to get off of it. Is that a goal for you?

Tressa

(Jeanne Wagner) #202

I have been fasting for 3-4-5 days and still take my normal dose of Metformin of 1000mg 2x/day. NOT everyone can do this… I check my blood glucose. I have a LOT of work to do and insulin resistance to overcome. But the idea I am trying to convey is to keep a close eye on the blood glucose and see how it goes. Be careful and don’t take unnecessary risks. Metformin doesn’t lower your glucose it tells the body not to make so much insulin (or so my doctor had told me, may he rest in peace).

(Ron) #203

I agree with this completely but would also agree that you do need to monitor glucose levels during fasting.:slightly_smiling_face:

(Tressa) #204

Thanks Jeanne. That is encouraging. I will try that.

(Tressa) #205

Good point. I have been lax about that because they have been pretty good.

(Doug) #206

I don’t really think that’s right, at least not directly - Metformin does tell your liver not to make as much sugar (which, all other things being equal, would mean less insulin secreted), and it makes some tissues, muscles, for one, more sensitive to insulin.

(Ron) #207

Actually Metformin works in different ways. Firstly, it increases the sensitivity of muscle cells to insulin. This enables these cells to remove sugar from the blood more effectively. Secondly, it reduces the amount of sugar produced by cells in the liver. Finally, it delays the absorption of sugar from the intestines into the bloodstream after eating so that there is less of a spike in blood sugar levels after meals.

(Justin Jordan) #208

I’m actually okay with being on Metformin, as there’s some indication it’s got positive health benefits on its own.

But I am trying to get my insulin sensitivity as normal as I can.

(Jeanne Wagner) #209

Absolutely! It must be monitored. In fact I just checked mine and it’s 62!!! I feel perfectly fine. THIS is what I was looking for to start stepping down my dose. I won’t take any tonight, check it again in the morning and see how it is. I’m still fasting so that will be interesting because I also get the dawn effect.

(Ron) #210

I also get the dawn effect.:anguished::wink:

(Tressa) #211

Have you found fasting helpful in that endeavor?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #212

Starting my second try on a 5 day fast this year. Feels like it’s going to be a lot easier than last week. 9h in feeling great.

Haven’t felt that great after refeeding for a looong time

(Allie) #213

21 hours so far and no fatty coffee to start the day off… ignoring hunger pangs ok at the moment.

But someone sent me a surprise at work and no note or anything so I don’t know who it’s from :anguished:

(Jeanne Wagner) #214

Thanks for the explanation. I should have looked into it by now since going Keto.

(Jeanne Wagner) #215

Well the dawn affect has only brought it up to 71 this morning, and I’m still feeling just fine. Will continue the fast today- so I made it to day 4!! Going shopping tonight to prepare for refeeding possibly tomorrow afternoon. By day 4/5 I am well into it and not hungry. I refeed anyway after day 5 is reached. Doc said I had to come I for blood work if I went 7 days, so he can monitor me. Well I can’t do that now due to money situation and the very terrible fact that I found out he has passed away from a major heart attack over the weekend. :cry::flushed: Really shocking.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #216

Seriously, right now it’s so hot I cannot wait for my body to reach the 36 to 48 hour chilly phase. only 20 more hours to go until the heat gets bearable…

(Allie) #217

I’m with you on that… :flushed:
On my last EF, week before last, that cold feeling never came though… I’m staying off the fatty coffees this time to try and help the cold come.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #218

The thing is I actually love the heat… but right now even I am overwhelmed XD
I think I refueled “Properly” this weekend, it didn’t seem to throw me out of keto, (I fall out soo easily)
But right now I am in a good mood, so hot, and have real trouble sitting still at my desk. so I am feeling my 3rd day fasting feeling on my 1st day already XD hope it stays like that (minus the heat)

(Allie) #219

I do too Claudia, but it’s been constant for so long now that it’s draining. I’m at 24 hours already but melting.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #220

I must try the English heat once XD, I only went there in winter (jan, feb) and that was just horribly cold up north.
We are at 28°c right now…