July 2018 IF / EF chat ALL WELCOME

(icky) #181

Yeah, absolutely :blush:

I just got toooootally confused to see ppl writing the word “fast” in conjunction with 3 square meals a day :smile:

I do think that a fat fast/ fat feed/ tweaked fat macro is a wonderful idea and can be a great thing to do!!

I guess for my brain the title “fat fast” is a bit misleading and it seems I’m not the only one reading something else into that label :blush:

My brain is highly adaptable tho and will learn to cope :joy:

Good luck with your 2 week fat fast - your menu looks delicious :heart_eyes: :+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3:

(Allie) #182

The “egg fast” is one that really irritates me… it’s not a fast at all :joy:

(Shayne) #183

/
Fat fast is the official name that Dr. Atkins gave it back in the 70s. If you’re relatively new to the low carb/keto world, then it wouldn’t necessarily be part of your vernacular. I’ve been doing some form of low carb eating since 1999 when a doctor told me to, with various levels of results. But it makes total sense to me, so I keep trying.

(Allie) #184

It’s just what works for us :blush:

When I do it I have one coffee first thing only, so the rest of the time I guess it’s a water fast as that’s all i have, but I’ve never really thought about it.

Protein seems to a big disruptor of autophagy, so it’s not just the zero carb that makes a fat fast effective (though I would imagine that a water fast is probably dramatically different in terms of re-setting and autophagy).

(Allie) #186

This is one of the reasons I want to get to a point of not having to have that morning coffee.

(KCKO, KCFO) #187

I do the same thing.

Megan Ramos calls it fasting with a crutch. I accepted that early on in my fasting days. I have used bone broth to keep a fast going. I add only a teaspoon of HWC to my coffee, nothing near what a BPC would normally be. I also grabbed like 5-10 macadamia nuts when no coffee is around and salt was not cutting the hunger signals.

In maintenance, I will fast as long as I can, then have a single meal and dive back into fasting for an equal or longer period of time if I am outside or nearing outside of my 3 lb. range I am trying to maintain.

I just seem to need the coffee/hwc to get me through the day. I just have one large mug first thing in the mornings. Never made it through a day on just water and salt yet. But for the first time in my life, in the last year, I spent more time fasted than eating.

(Allie) #188

This is what I keep intending to do, but can never stop at that one meal…

(KCKO, KCFO) #189

I have done the last few Zornfasts that way, it is much easier for me than fasting all the way through.

(Aimee Moisa) #190

I was just thinking that I might have better success not binging post fast if I fast breakfast-to-breakfast instead of dinner-to-dinner. I have always been one of those evening bingers who stands in front of the fridge all night binging until carb coma sets in and I fall asleep, on the kitchen floor, with a half-eaten dog nut sticking out of my mouth. Maybe my post-fast binge Tuesday night was just a famine-induced regression to my natural instincts.

Anyway, I have never been a post-breakfast binger, and if I dont take food with me to work I wont be able to eat anyway. I should take bone broth, though, that helped me get through my first fast last Tuesday. I dont think I can do it successfully on the weekends 'cause it is too easy with food in the fridge at home.

(Tressa) #191

I am not sure where to ask this question, so I will ask it here and if I should put it elsewhere, please tell me.
I did keto for a year and lost 100# then continued for a few more months. I decided to take the month of Dec. 2017 off of keto. Bad idea. I tried very hard to get back into but was overcome by carb craving (half cup of rf beans not sugars). I have been back in keto for two months and want to start IF and do some few days fast.
I take a gram of Metformin morning and evening. I was told to always eat something with this. Has anyone been able to fast the first two meals of the day and take the medication that was prescribed to you? Any info would be good. Thanks

Tressa, if you don’t get a response on this thread you might want to start a new thread so that it catches the eye of more members. I’m sure that there are folks on the forum who have experience with IF and metformin.

Congrats on your success to date and on coming back to keto!

I can’t answer your question as a professional but I did work in a pharmacy and we were told to put those take with food stickers on the pill bottles because when you first start taking metformin it may upset your stomach. From my understanding this passes after a while. If there are any blood sugar related reasons to not take it without food I could not say for sure.

(Ron) #194

i take metformin and fast with no problems.

(Allie) #195

I’m intending to do five days starting tomorrow. Will see how I feel… today was meant to be a gentle day with just yoga and some gardening, but instead I’ve ended up catching an injured baby black headed gull and taking him on the long drive to rescue, in my car which the air con doesn’t work in, and my phone (sat nav) overheated halfway so I got lost and had to pull over… OMG WHAT A DAY!! Just got home and going to do some yoga to help stretch out after the car journey.

(icky) #196

Awww, I’m sure the baby gull appreciated it (even if he didn’t behave appreciateively, maybe!)

That’s your good karma points sorted out for this week!!

You deserve a really good evening and week! :blush:

(Justin Jordan) #197

I take Metformin without food all the time - no issues for me.

(Justin Jordan) #198

After listening to the FoundMyFitness interview with Valter Longo, I think I am going to hit a five day fast at the end of the month. Not a big push - I’ve done 96 hours before, so another 24 shouldn’t be a big deal.

Actually, the hardest part of dealing with longer fasts is family stuff. They do actually notice if I am not eating, and are not on board. Which doesn’t precisely matter, but it is irritating. I may pitch this one as a cleanse and see if that makes any difference.

So far, my goal for this month of fasting every Sunday is working well. I’m not sure if it’s the regular fasting or what, but my insulin sensitivity, as near as I can tell, has gotten much better. I’m going off the Glipizide this week, after having been at a half dose the last few weeks.

(Allie) #199

Yes this is what has put me off going longer than five days so far. Mon to Fri is easy as we work opposite shifts so never eat together anyway, but weekends are different. He doesn’t even know I do IF let alone EF.

I LOVED that interview! It was so interesting. I keep meaning to start a thread about it since I think a lot of people here would love it.