Jimmy Moore goes carnivore, eats much higher protein

(Mark Rhodes) #41

WHOO WHOO. Chugga chugga choo choo.

Adam, I was reading through and was just going to post a link to the [good doctor.] on 2KD(http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=113)

or here on youtube

(Mark Rhodes) #42

In honesty Chris, yeah I am technically.

What I meant is that Iā€™m not over medicating nor could that have explained the increase in LBM in 2017 as I had taken it for at least two years prior to that. When I say I have been ā€œaccusedā€ it is by those who canā€™t understand how fasting with timed eating could lead to gains nor do they have any clue how anabolic steroids work. You still have to do the lifts.:sunglasses:

(Chris) #43

Oh I know, thatā€™s why I worded it that way.

Thousands of people take steroids every day specifically to be bodybuilders, and because they eat like crap and train poorly they make little progress. Itā€™s 98% work that you put in, the drugs are secondary.

(Richard Morris) #44

One example of how our response to protein differs is shown in a couple of studies by Frank Nuttall and Mary Gannon.

This study in 1984 tested type 2 diabetics given 3 different challenges (50g of glucose, 50g of protein, 50g of glucose + 50g of protein) followed by a glucose with insulin curve for 5 hours.

This study 2 years later tested non-diabetics given the same 3 challenges (50g of glucose, 50g of protein, 50g of glucose + 50g of protein) followed by a glucose with insulin curve for 4 hours.

So the normal folk behaved as you might anticipate; When given a glucose challenge they saw a rise in circulation, when given protein very little, and when given both about the same glucose in circulation as they did when given just glucose.

Their insulin behaved much as you might expect as well - looking at the area under the curve which tells you how many units of insulin their pancreases produced (in units of Ī¼IUā€¢h/ml) in the 4 hours. Protein required very little insulin (22Ā±3), glucose needed a lot (78Ā±8), protein+glucose needed (99Ā±10) a little more than glucose alone.

Type 2 diabetics respond in terms of circulation glucose much the same. Protein intake doesnā€™t cause a big increase in glucose, glucose causes a large spike, and when given both about the same glucose in circulation as they did when given just glucose.

OK So can we say that type 2 diabetics behave just like regular folk?

Actually no, when we look at the insulin they make everything is different. When given 50g of glucose the area under the curve (how much insulin was produced) was 97Ā±35 Ī¼IUā€¢h/ml. Thatā€™s about 25% more than a normal person, but a normal person has insulin response to glucose returning to baseline within 3 hours - a diabetic is still high after 5 hours when they stopped measurement. In my own experiments my insulin appears to be elevated up to 6 hours after a challenge.

What is REALLY interesting is how a diabetic responds to a 50g protein challenge. The amounts of insulin produced was 83Ā±19 Ī¼IUā€¢h/ml which is not too different from the amount required for 50g of glucose.

Finally (and this will really bake your noodle) when given BOTH 50g of glucose and 50g of protein, the insulin required was 247Ā±33 Ī¼IUā€¢h/ml ā€¦ that is 2.5x the insulin made by a normal person.

What does this mean?

The most important thing I think it shows is that Diabetics have a different response to macro-nutrients than normal people.

And studies like the glycemic index study, and the insulin index study, and the satiety index study from Jenny Brand-Miller at Sydney University which firstly remove all diabetics, or people who had a family history of diabetes ā€¦ is kind of useless for almost half the population.

ā€œVolunteers were excluded if they were smokers or taking prescription medications,
had a family history of diabetes or obesity, were dieting, or had irregular eating habits.ā€

(KCKO, KCFO) #45

Will this be coming to us in video form soon???

Always love it when you pop in with the Good Science stuff.

(Chris) #46

Thanks for chiming in, Richard. In regards to this quote, how do you think this relates to a type 2 diabetic that has ā€œreversedā€ their type 2 diabetes? Should the rule still apply?

(Richard Morris) #47

It may :slight_smile:

Actually the insulin and satiety indexes are the foundation for a couple of well known online services that tell type 2 diabetics what to eat ā€¦ so yeah I think I do need to do something on the topic.

(Richard Morris) #48

I have no idea. Iā€™m pretty sure no one else does either.

I do know that even though I have had an HbA1c below 5.3% for 5 years, I still have insulin elevated for 6 hours when I give it a protein challenge ( https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/so-i-did-an-interesting-protein-experiment-with-egg-whites-vs-whey ) ā€¦ so the underlying hyperinsulinaemia that caused the insulin resistance that caused the diabetes is still there - Iā€™m just not feeding it. My gut feel is that type 2 diabetics are different from birth and that doesnā€™t change, but we can eat a diet that reverses all the symptoms.

(Chris) #49

Thank you for the insight. At least this opens up more questions. I think you could be right in your gut feeling.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #50

Not to bag on Jimmy (because Iā€™m trying to be a better person, but letting go of a decade of Jimmy Moore dislike isnā€™t easy), but he has a seriously screwed up metabolism from years and years of yo yo dieting and questionable N=1 experiments. I donā€™t disagree with your PUFA theory, as they are clearly problematic, but I suspect that Mr. Moore is getting results from the new protocol because heā€™s closely adhering to it, not lazily drifting. That might be projection, and Iā€™m maybe not terribly charitable to him after the Kimkins debacle and his practically trolling questions and useless presentation at LC Breck 17, but you gotta wonder. The fat bombs may or may not have been nut heavy, but I can almost guarantee they were heavy with artificial sweeteners, to which he may be sensitive, perhaps due to years of use and abuse on this and that LC protocol.

Funny thing: He has 254 posts tagged ā€œReal Foodā€ and 260 tagged ā€œPaleo,ā€ and yet he was pounding fat bombs that may have been high in coconut oil, cheese, maybe sour cream and other things that wouldnā€™t fit into the 260 items tagged paleo. Or maybe itā€™s the PUFAs. Or a combination of all that.

Adding sour cream to a ribeye because the ribeye isnā€™t fat enough? What?

I would follow his experience with many many grains of salt, preferably the stuff mined in Utahā€¦

(Mark Rhodes) #51

Why can I NOT love this more times than 1 Richard?

I must say that the forums is still the best place to exchange information much as we like to trade memes.

(Adam Kirby) #52

This is my theory as well. Thereā€™s not too much potential for carb creep on the carnivore diet.

(Karim Wassef) #53

My experience is that protein only becomes a problem if it overwhelms the fat. I too went semi-carni but pushed 70%-80% fat. I used mayo a lot to get there but itā€™s the same idea.

Also ā€œproteinā€ is too generic. Some amino acids are glucogenic and others are ketogenic, so it depends on which you consume.

I did start eating organ meats - liver, etcā€¦ to get a more complete intake of essentials. Muscle protein was insufficient for me. Liver had carbs so I needed to watch it. Iā€™ve recently started loading up with heavy cream too!

My rule is simpleā€¦ stay above 70% fat always. Iā€™m 45 by the way. :slight_smile:

(Chris) #54

The only proteins you need contain both, I wouldnā€™t worry about that minutia. That said, mayo is not good. Please make sure to read the ingredients and avoid those made with any seed oils. <3

(Vladaar Malane) #55

I guess I am confused on carnivore diet, I thought carnivore was only meats, not adding sour cream or something to add fat?

So this is interesting to find out there is other things you can eat, I love steaks, burger, etc.

(Chris) #56

Youā€™re not. Everyone has their own interpretation. Animal products is a pretty vague term and can mean processed dairy products to some people. IMO youā€™re better off with meat, organs, and maybe eggs if you tolerate them. Dairy is usually tough on many folksā€™ digestion and can be inflammatory (and by proxy cause one to hold onto bodyfat). Then thereā€™s factory-made, pasteurized dairyā€¦just read the labels.

(Karim Wassef) #57

I supplement because I also lift and while natural protein has both, not all foods have them in the same ratio. I like to be selective because my own experience is that some proteins are absolutely terrible for meā€¦ whey for example is not good for meā€¦ egg yolks on the other hand are awesome!

I donā€™t use seed oils or most PUFAs. My Mayo is either EVOO or Avocado oil based.

I love my egg yolk and heavy cream so much, Iā€™ve started to sous vide my egg yolks to be able to eat them near raw (135F), whipped and added to heavy cream and ACV with pink himalayan salt and Steviaā€¦ wowā€¦ :smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #58

Ha ha, thatā€™s why I call myself semi-carni. I like it a lot, but I add a few things that wouldnā€™t technically be strict carni.

Mayo has plants. ACV comes from plants. Cream is dairy. etcā€¦ Itā€™s not a religion, itā€™s about finding good things, killing them and eating themā€¦ (too much?) :smiley:

Proud member myself! I screwed up my lifting for over a year because I was afraid of protein, glad I snapped out of that.

Ya but itā€™s ALSOā€¦ an ANIMAL product! BOOM! Cheese it up!