JanZC --- No Plants! Smaller Pants!

(Karen) #282

I really didn’t want to get up this morning and thought to myself what on earth do i need to get up for. Then thought crikey is this how i am going to feel when i retire fultime (2.5yrs time) so I said GET UP!

Straight into the 100 stair runs but didn’t feel i wanted to do the CF workout at that time … and still haven’t done it :roll_eyes:

Had the sauted chicken amd melted cheddar for brunch. The photo doesn’t look particularly pretty but it was certainly tasty. I like the crispy cheesey bits yummy.

Also had 3 oven cooked cumberland pork sausages with added dripping.

Some more cheddar and soft creamy goats cheese

And a cup of tasty home made chicken stock.

When you write it down it doesn’t seem much but i feel satisfied at the mo.

Bagged up some clothes i don’t need. Always difficult for me as i hate parting with anything. I managed to fill 1 bin liner to add to the 1 that I filled some time ago but couldn’t take to the charity shop because of covid restrictions. Must do better, maybe tomorrow when i have forgotten the stuff i packed today :thinking:

Wrote this yesterday but couldn’t send it for some reason, it happens sometimes.

For me, all my life, pickles beat chocolate, good meat beats pickles (though they are good together… sorry for saying this in a carnivore thread :smiley: my pickle consumption dropped during the last year but it didn’t completely disappear yet).
I really love my sweets, ate them all my life every day until I tried out carnifore but well, those are just sweets. My relationship with eggs and meat is way stronger and I always valued proper food more than sweets, even if the latter was almost the same as the former. Maybe I lack something sugar addicts have?

And while sweets tend to trigger desire towards sweets, the right fatty meats satiate me nicely. Much more satisfying and better anyway.
I start to wonder how on earth I survived my low-carb almost vegetarian times. And it was 9 years and it felt quite nice at that time.

I found my CF card. Not a great photo, just my duck soup egg pudding with a slightly interesting pattern :slight_smile: I played with egg puddings for a little while but it’s just some occasional variety for me, I can eat so much better stuff (I have roasted pork and bacon wrapped turkey now, nice).

Tomorrow is a big shopping day as we go to the city again. Alvaro thinks he will be able to drive, not in the busiest city roads but he can avoid those if he is fine with some walking and he always is. We will buy chicken, pork and beef! And much more, of course.

Nice photos, everyone! Gorgeous ones. Yum! I soooooooo lost this round with my egg pudding :smiley:
But I will make some meaty ones tomorrow. If I will have energy and mood after visiting 4 supermarkets… Shopping in the city always tires me out.

Oh I never have this problem with meat. The slabs aren’t huge (anymore… I learned from the time when I had a single huge frozen chunk of beef as my whole meat supply…) and roasted meat lasts for long! And if something happen (Alvaro’s accident, me with a lot of defrosted meat and without an appetite), I can put part of the roast back into the freezer.
It’s way worse with plant food as they last for 4 days, usually and many of them gets ruined when freezed (still edible but not so good). Alvaro starts to learn how much to cook for himself… And I do my best to cook for both of us at the same time. My relaxed approach is practical. I am fine with eggs in purgatory (or a relative of it. I don’t know if mine is a version or a similar dish) where I eat the plant matter stuck to the eggs and Alvaro eats the majority of it. I learned that dish not long ago and Alvaro loves it. It’s quite useful even when I have pork for the Nth day and Alvaro has problems with it and wants something else. It’s a simple, quick dish and I rather make this than some very carby quick thingie. I started to make food I don’t eat maybe 2 years ago but it’s still not what I prefer. Alvaro has his extra, carby items, he should be able to eat the food I eat most of the time. He seems to function well without veggie dishes all the time and eating meat very nearly every day.
He actually always said he isn’t choosy, he just need “something to eat”. It’s not THAT simple but he doesn’t cling to many carby stuff most people on high-carb does and he never expect fancy food. He is flexible. Just not very very flexible. I can eat almost everything alone. He can’t eat cheese alone! Who can’t eat cheese alone? Or at least with some raw veggies? He can’t eat my ice cream alone… So meat and eggs are very very hopeless at that, even together and that’s a nice combo if you ask me, works even for too fatty meat.

We ordered stuff from a webshop today. The mustard I like is out. Maybe I should try to stop eating mustard. Or using my own (it’s actually almost the same… it works in deviled eggs but that’s it).
Mustard is a big favorite of mine but well, some very carby things were my big favorites and I live just fine without them… It’s not the same though as I am motivated not to eat much carbs but mustard never hurt me noticeably (I doubt it hurt me anyway).
I will use it when I really will feel the need. Not just because I eat egg sandwich or sausage or just a boiled egg and they are good with mustard. They are but maybe it would be nice without as well…? Or with my own. I can’t imagine my life without mustard at this point. But I use it very often.

Hmmm. Sad. I never made any bacon wrapped thing but I LOVE crunchy and I will make it happen somehow, at least I will definitely try… I am very stubborn if it’s about my crunchy food. I have huge patience then.
I don’t want to dry out my turkey or something though so… I just put the leftover bacon next to it, they will be crunchy at least :wink: And I finally will eat the whole 200g package. It took quite a few days, I am not a bacon person but wanted to try fried bacon strips. Crunchiness is great, taste not so much, bacon grease isn’t nice, a bit like store-bought lard.
Apropos lard. I compared the ones I have now. And I have vivid traumatic memories about store-bought lard. That isn’t tasty and has some annoying… coarseness? I couldn’t even say it in Hungarian, it’s a weird feeling. I have some better lard, it has it but to a lesser extent. Pig farm lard is very tasty and has a hint of that strangeness but it belongs to lard, it seems and it’s no problem there as it’s not overpowering and there are flavors.
And I have piglet lard rendered from super tenger piglet fat tissue during roasting… And it’s perfectly smooth and nice and wonderful.
I wonder what I am feeling when I notice that unique lardness. That seemingly isn’t there when the piglet is from a good place and very young… But better lard has it to a lesser extent. Maybe I can trust this. Maybe it’s not really correlated, it’s just the breed and other factors…

[…]
So, one day passed and I try not to write much as it so wasn’t a carni day, relative visit, headache and January isn’t my month - until now, dammit, tomorrow I start a new, better life. IDK why it is that very hard.

Big shopping in the city. Is it just me or other people are able to get totally tired just because they visit 3 supermarkets…? I am worse with clothes shopping but I didn’t do that since quite a few years except for underwear in an open market or similar things where I don’t even need to try stuff. I only like shopping for books, stationery and art stuff (paints and brushes). That’s peaceful. Shopping for food is in between. It’s nice but tiring, all that information and crowd, even artificial light…

We bought pork chuck, turkey wing and beef leg now just as planned. Very much dairy too. ZC should be very very easy tomorrow. I will watch myself to catch some silly things if it still won’t be naturally easy. I am so pathetic in January and it has to stop now. I have superb food for tomorrow. And some probably not so greet thing but variety will be awesome. Photos will be made, we probably will get sunshine again :slight_smile: Just like today. Colder days come but no snow here. This stupid little thing will melt, hopefully. I wouldn’t mind snow but not 1mm here and 0 there… One year we had 1 meter at some points, it’s a windy place… Well that’s a tad excessive but it was fun, I just couldn’t really walk and that’s not fun after a few days… And last winter the top of our beautiful silver birch broke due to so much ice on branches. Can’t we have some normal winter days? But I am not against 12 Celsius with sunshine on most days either… Either way, I want lots of sunshine.

Alvaro already ate his bacon-wrapped turkey. He found it odd as the two flavors fought. It wasn’t crunchy but it’s not mine, I will work on mine tomorrow. Even the standalone bacon wasn’t crunchy, it got dark and half-crunchy. The pan worked better but I probably has no idea about the right temperature. I usually don’t know what am I doing with meat, I just try things and realize it’s best to ignore all the advice (or take them with a grain of salt) as they totally don’t work for me and my mini oven. My favorite temperature is 145 Celsius now, well it depends, I used a higher one for bacon, 145 is for meat that needs a long time. I am a simple one, I do baking like that too, I always use 180 Celsius and never preheat the oven. There are very few exceptions for the temperature.

Today I read about making steak in a fanfiction… The method seemed okay but they tasted the result and found it bad tasting. Because they didn’t use SPICES (maybe oil too but it doesn’t matter).
If a meat is bad without spices, it’s bad, IMO. My roasted meat never needed spices and even if spices are nice, they can’t make meat flavors, those must come from the meat itself. But maybe most people work differently, I can’t possibly know. just like I need salt for a really good taste even though the effect diminished.
(I had this problem with the vegan opinion that “meat is only tasty due to spices”. But I kinda understood, poor souls needed delusion or never tasted good meat.)

(Laurie) #284

Yes, shopping can be very tiring, even when it seems you aren’t doing a lot of walking or anything strenuous. I use the electric “mobility carts,” and I still need to take it easy the next day.

Walking is no problem for me when shopping (to some extent… 12 km with elevation, mud and with lots of stuff was a bit much, my poor back), it’s more like mental, all the information, needed and unneeded alike… I want to do things right, I often know I probably won’t go back in a month and I just need to optimize things, my mind works like that… And I truly hate certain types of artificial lights. And waiting.
Now I have long lists I make when reading about the sales too…
Oh well, we are fine for a long time now. Even though we still need some items, we will pick them up on Friday. It was a long time we couldn’t visit supermarkets.

But when we get smoked pork from the pig farm, that’s refreshing. Lovely lady, cute cycling, no crowd at all… I never get tired out in small village stores either especially the ones with enough space. Narrow spaces are uncomfortable and I really don’t have a phobia about that, I just love open spaces.

I actually don’t feel bad while shopping (unless it’s a hypermarket and I am there for an hour), it hits me later. And I am super tired for hours.

I still need a simpler woe I guess. I already buy my staples in big enough amounts.

(Susan) #286

Thank you for putting a name to a disorder I have dealt with for years. I always just chalked it up to PTSD. I will have to look into it more.

@islandlight, love your post and love that you are living your life on your terms as you want…I tell ya you can never go wrong doing just that…so many can’t with whatever relationships or more we have in our lives, but boy if you have that freedom you hang onto it! Cool

I’m still thinking about Vic eating a horse.

Hey all.
Finally back on track. Struggled a bit. Well, more than a bit. But, I’m back. Having a liquid chicken latte this morning - for the second morning. I felt amazing ALL DAY when I did that yesterday…so why not keep it going?
Lunch was grilled chicken w melted cheese, and a bottle of water.
Dinner- Tuna Didn’t really feel too hungry - so something sorta light.

Gotta get ready for work. More later.

(Vic) #290

Lucky yourr not from India, you would go mad with all the beef eating going on here :joy:

I’ve been trying to get my hands on crocodile/alligator meat. Really hard to find, super weird food here.

Lucky you are back SB! :slight_smile: I was gonna come looking for ya any second now…happy you are back on track!! Missed you on the thread! I was struggling too but never went off plan but holy heck I tell ya when it hits it hits. We all just have to work thru it and hang on tight as we can! Glad your zc latte is working well for you!!! Happy you feel good back on plan, that gives us a great reminder of why we are here!!

we got that one. being near the everglades and louisiana and all that we got alot of gator around. definitely on the menu…tons of horse but we export them I believe, won’t do horse here, they are ‘pet category’. I hope you can get some gator one day, it is good meat.

---------------good carnivore day

food yesterday was

1 sausage patty
2 lbs. of NY strip steak…yea I ate it all and delish too
2 pork chops
1 beef stick

I ‘feel so much more in control’ now! WEE. Yesterday did very little craving at all and the junk in the house wasn’t on my mind at all. Those 2 steaks, 1 lb. each, I woofed down gave me that final belly full and nutrition I needed to get me back to not wanting other crap. OK, eating big zc when I am struggling is key for me :slight_smile:

I like I am feeling secure again in my zc zone. Whew, I had a battle for a bit but got thru in fine form actually from the crazy it could have been. But I won’t allow that anymore! So yea, I stuck to my guns and really am feeling that zc control come back.

No more craving talk from me…back to my normal programming on carnivore! :wink:

Heck I feel such relief feeling off the craving hook! ugh.

I am so glad I can chat it out here and get great advice and support from you guys. Accountability too for doing all I can to stay on my desired plan! Appreciate the help everyone.

Got a big Tbone steak to start my day later and either shrimp/chicken/or got me 2 NY strips defrosting for today also so I got great food around me.

Feel like ringing the ‘all clear’ signal for myself HAHA

(Heather) #292

I found myself in a rut with food. Large chicken breast w/ ghee for breakfast, ground beef (plain and drained for lunch) and a ribeye for supper. I had been eating that same menu for about a week straight. Yesterday, I felt horrible. Tired, cold, grumpy. I ate a chicken breast w/ ghee for breakfast, along with 1/2 lb. pork breakfast sausage, ribeye and 2 pork chops for dinner. And then…1/2 sitck of butter. I think I’m missing the fat that I need and that’s what caused me to feel so icky. The pork sausage had zero carbs, but dextrose. I try to steer clear of processed foods, but I needed something different!

I just saw an ad for one of our grocery stores around here that has Tbones for $3.99/lb! Time to stock up!

Love my Carnivore Queen shirt!

https://www.amazon.com/CARNIVORE-QUEEN-EATER-STEAK-T-Shirt/dp/B08F7T2QNK

(Laurie) #293

Cold food, as always; I think it’s been 3 months since I ate anything hot.

Meal 1 of 2 meals. About 200 g (7 ounces) organic ground beef with curry spices; homemade yogurt dip. I didn’t want more of this, but I had 4 eggs’ worth of tamagoyaki rolled egg after.

I seem to eat less than most people on this thread. Because of my age (68), or ???

(Kellyn ) #294

I bet curry spices on ground beef is delicious. What kind of spices do you use? Is it just curry powder?

I am sorry my camera didn’t cooperate. I made two photos with Flash and both ended up very blurry…
Whatever, something is still visible.
This was my vague plan for lunch.

Chicken soup from the freezer (with a little meat in it!) as I had a just below zero appetite for my big need for fuel and soup raises my appetite. And soup is always so nice…
Roasted pork shoulders - nice as always.
Bacon wrapped turkey (thigh), I had no problem with it unlike Alvaro but fowl and pork are good together IMO. No, it wasn’t crunchy and I fried it for long. Oh well. The standalone bacon slice (underneath everything else) was perfectly crunchy.
A little beef (part of it went to the cats, chewy). I cut off the chewy membrane part yesterday but it had some meat on it and this is it, the meatier part. It was fine.
Sponge cake… I start to get bored with it. The upper part is wonderful but the wet bottom isn’t.

20210112lunch

Of course this tiny meal wasn’t enough for me, I ate 5 more eggs, some sour cream, a big slice of cheese and some salmon paste.
Now I am just a bit hungry but it will pass and it doesn’t matter, I probably will eat again soon.

I don’t bother with tracking just very very vaguely sometimes… About half pound of meat for today. The next days will be meatier, it’s just some leftover and I like my quite eggy days now and then. But who knows what I will fancy for dinner? I have options.

My lunch wasn’t very enjoyable. Maybe my stubborn headache. Maybe my very not carnivore yesterday (I had no momentum and visited Alvaro’s Mom… it was problematic that she had nothing I find really satiating. there was chicken as usual. I made a mental note about NEVER going there without some good food. it seems my satiation is choosier than ever. without my eggs and proper meat I am doomed to not-satiation even if not actual hunger). Maybe my lack of appetite. I recognized the taste of the pork, it’s nice but… I don’t know. But I can’t have a GREAT meal all the time. It was okay enough.

Oh you poor soul!!!
I love my cold meals but not all the time! I can’t even imagine life without warm soups! Fatty parts in my meat are nicer warm too…

(Laurie) #296

@KellynP Thanks for asking.

Actually, I didn’t like it very much! As you may have noticed, I’m straddling carnivore and keto. I’ve been using bacon grease for cooking, but this time I used coconut oil, and I thought ginger, turmeric, and curry powder would go nicely. The coconut taste overpowered. I’ll go back to bacon grease.

In the meantime, I have about 400 g (14 ounces) of this to eat.

(Kellyn ) #297

do you think it would have tasted better without the coconut oil?

(Laurie) #298

@KellynP It sure would have! I’m not that interested in spices and flavorings now. I think I’ll just stick to plain hamburger patties (cooked in bacon grease) from now on.

@Shinita I don’t mind. Food is food, and I still find lots to enjoy. Funny, your post mentions how good soup is – twice. I can’t stand soup. Give me food or give me liquid; what is this soup?

Yes, we need to always have some emergency food when we leave the house. Unless we’re sure we won’t be hungry.

(Vic) #299

Is a microwave oven not an option in your room ?
70$ for a simple basic one gets you a long way.

You can also melt cheese on your burger patties with it.

(Vic) #300

I’m 6’2" male 51y. 179lbs
I need to eat least 2lbs of meat a day, otherwise i loose to much weight, skinny enough as is.

I’m doing a fast now, wanted to experience it ones.
Im gonna have to pay it back and eat even more for a few days.

(Laurie) #301

Thanks, Vic. No microwave in room, because of old wiring. I could do some things differently in order to have hot food, but it would just mean other problems.

I just mentioned it to show why my food wasn’t in the same league as others’ yummy steaks, etc. Besides, I can’t eat solid meats (steaks, chops, most roasts) because of problems with my esophagus. If I could cook and eat pork chops all day, I would!