January 2020 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #161

If your bad feeling doesn’t resolve soon, I’d say break the fast.

(Mame) #162

Pushing past mental hunger great. Pushing past feeling off especially before a date may not be the best idea. How good do you want the date to be? :laughing:

Another option is to indulge in fasting crutch salty, buttered broth perhaps?

As for me I finally started feeling body hungry at 64 hours fasted. You all can see my meal if you want on the ‘what did you keto today’ thread.
The bloating sucked but I did have an easy fast because of not feeling hungry… I think this was my first ever easy fast…

(Windmill Tilter) #163

Lol. For whatever reason, the only time I ever open that thread is when I’m fasting. I don’t know why I do it, but it’s surprisingly satisfying somehow. I find myself browsing WDYKT at around 7:00pm and 72 hours fasted pretty much like clockwork.

Am I the only one who does this? Is there such a thing as vicarious eating? :yum:

(KCKO, KCFO) #164

Guilty. I often end up in that thread while fasting too. At least I can’t smell all those glorious meals, that would end a fast quickly.

(John) #165

About 24 hours into my weekly Fasting Friday. It is definitely a bit tougher recently. Maybe because I don’t have as much body fat to draw upon as I used to. Technically only about 15 pounds or so above “normal” weight for my height based on BMI.

It’s not really low energy or even real hunger, just more like mouth hunger and a general feeling of mild annoyance not directed at any particular thing.

Anyway, downhill from here, I get the next 8 hours for free (sleep).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #166

The best part of fasting for me is banking hours from sleeping.

(John) #167

My problem is that I don’t sleep soundly while fasting. There is something that is saying “hey, get up and hunt a wildebeest.” Kind of this unwanted extra energy and alertness. Great if I am up and needing to get things done. Not so great when I would like a good long night’s sleep.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #168

My sleep is shorter but I feel rested, which is weird.

(Jane) #169

Ill be joining you guys next week for 2 days. Have a colonoscopy screening next Wednesday, so liquid diet on Tuesday, clean out Tuesday night (fun, fun) and nothing to eat before the procedure on Wednesday. Hubby is fasting on Wednesday so I will join him and just not eat the rest of the day and break with him on Thursday.

(John) #170

Ok - broke at about 37 hours. See you guys next week!

(Susan) #171

I broke at 91 hours, still had to force myself to eat as I am sick, but may or may not eat supper today, happy fasting everyone.

No, you aren’t the only one :smiley:
It’s “getting joy from food without eating it” for me. I have this when I bake normal, carby breads and similar things. I like making them, the bread dough feels nice, the cheesy rolls are cute… It’s a hobby. I don’t make little artworks, usually but last time I had fun with a pig suckling piglets. I saw that on a pic, it was a sweet milk bread though and I used whatever I had and it wasn’t perfect but pretty okay and made my SO smile too (he ate it all though it was a tad hard at the thinner places).

Folks!!!
I did 48 hours, not so long but MY LONGEST FAST SINCE DECADES! I do ones around 24 hours very often, that’s nothing but I very rarely skip my single meal.
I started unusually full and determined as I wrote before. The first 24 hours was natural, I didn’t feel anything at my usual mealtime either (24 hour fasts are way harder if I start the fast very late, typically).
And then my body realized I skipped a meal :open_mouth: As I was still quite satiated, it wasn’t a big deal but I definitely felt a bit odd. It continued the next day but combined with sleepiness as I messed with my sleep again. But it was just odd, not some real hunger or feeling particularly unwell.
In the very end, I had an experience I only had once but hear about it a lot: I got a bit hungry - and then it passed. And it came back later and disappeared again. It was a tiny hunger, nothing I respect but the idea of a meal at 48 hour seemed good. If I will have some nice option.

I didn’t but I had 3 leftover boiled eggs, bought cheese and some other dairy and there was some deli meat I only eat at a relative once a year but it was quite good. I had multiple cups of tea and coffee with a little milk too. I barely could eat enough for a nice satiation but it happened somehow.
So it’s OMAD for me for a while.

But I won’t eat lunch just because it’s time and my SO eats. If my body is fine, I will do such tiny ones again. Maybe even longer ones.
I probably could “force” things, it was already late, I was sleepy, a few cups of warm drinks and early sleep (coffee doesn’t affect that but it was decaffeinated anyway. same difference to me) would do the trick but I wouldn’t feel that good and my really determined plan was 48 hours. I can do a longer one later, in more ideal circumstances. Or when I get used to skipping a meal and not feeling anything just positive things. I was looking forward to my next meal in the last hours. I couldn’t eat then anyway as we did some shopping (food!!! It was good, it helps a lot when I am a bit hungry because I am this weird).
Okay, it was 48 hours minus a few minutes because I was sitting at the table, food in front of me, I already ate 3 cups of tea and peeled all my boiled eggs… My SO was eating since minutes while I patiently waited. And couldn’t imagine why a few minutes would matter and I will do a longer fast in the not far future anyway. It will be easier if I start my fast earlier. I rarely have much problems with fasting before 3pm so if I do it right, I just need to handle the time when my body realizes I skipped a meal. The next day will be easy. Now I had two 3pm-8pm periods without eating. I almost always eat in this period. So I actually find this not quite 48 hours a bigger feat than a better timed 48-50 hour fast.

I couldn’t track but surely ate my minimal amount of food I can eat on my single meal on a good diet. A tad more carbs than ideal, though. No idea if I am in ketosis, I ate food with unknown macros in unknown amounts, I must be close to my ketosis carb limit but have I crossed it…? I don’t know.
(My plan was carnivore but things happened and I have no regrets, I didn’t lose a battle against my will, I made a good decision.)

I am a bit less satiated than usual but not hungry. Is it the fast? Is it the carbs? Is it the cold, not quite my style of meal yesterday? I don’t know but I could stick to OMAD without problems, without really big meals. And my meal today started very early after a very late one. I had a super tiny, 14 hour fast. Is it called a fast? Well, I didn’t eat during those hours. But I did OMAD :stuck_out_tongue:
And a few irregular kcals later, whatever. But it’s only 20:30 anyway and I am not satiated, just not hungry. I used up my determination for this week and I am very very pleased with my results now. No problem with baby steps.

Oh my god… I can’t even imagine wanting to go for so long at this point… I probably would even worry about my amino acid supply and I am sure nothing could change that, I was always quite paranoid about it, it’s lucky I am not quite that now. I stopped my fat fast on the second day because of that :smiley:
I probably wouldn’t worry about other things. I theoretically don’t have enough fat to sustain such a long fast but probably most of them here know it’s not that simple and right in every cases so until I feel right, I am fine. And my metabolism can take care about itself if I don’t do crazy things and I won’t.
(Experiments and science means little to me if I can imagine me being an abnormal case - it has a chance, not even a slight one in most cases. My body definitely goes against some very common things - and my subtle paranoia gets some say.)

Nice, sad that your sickness helped it (get better soon!!! :heart: I haven’t said it today yet) but it’s good job nonetheless!

(Susan) #174

Thank you, Shinita =).

(Justin Jordan) #175

Fasted Saturday, doing so again today.

For the next couple weeks I’m trying out a mix of Naiman’s Protein Energy Ratio idea and fasting. Basically fasting 36(ish) hours Wednesday and Sunday, and aiming to get around 200 grams of protein a day.

Which yes, is a lot, but I am fairly tall and muscular, and I am aiming to otherwise keep my calories low. So we’ll see how that goes.

This week, I may be doing M/W/F - because of social stuff shifting around due to the weather, so I wasn’t able to get Sunday in. On the fence about Friday. Might do, might not.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #176

Getting started late tonight on a 2 day EF. One large glass of wine and I got hungry. Dang! But at least I can get in a ~46hr fast.

(Mame) #177

Started my fast tonight as well! 42+ hours… and here we go!

I am at 17 hours and even though this is normal TRE timing for me my brain knows I am fasting and is super crabby.

I am totally in the 'why the f@(^ do I even do this, this is stupid" stage. Anyone else go through this mentally?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #178

Broke my fast at 22 hrs. I pulled my back out a few days ago and this afternoon it hit me with a lot of pain. I just did not want to fast and nurse my back.

Well there is always another time to fast. I did have a 82 mg/dL BG level at about 19 hours. For me that is good and seems to be a new normal.

(Mame) #179

Same…but without the back pain. So sorry to hear about your injured back! and congrats on the 82=bg

I was having that brain fog thing that keeps me from working with any concentration and a shit ton of irritability. So I went for OMAD .

At 22 hours before I ate, bg=79, bk=2.9, gki=1.5

Tomorrow I will go for another OMAD or better… I need to be able to think and work though and as you say:
There is always another fast!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #180

Mame you really have great numbers. Lets do this again soon…